An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are The Worst Arguments You've Ever Seen Or Heard?

Seven77

I think we need a thread on logical fallacies: strawmen, non sequiturs, bandwagon appeals, red herrings, etc---arguments that don't hold up, arguments that are illogical. So what are some of these bad arguments? What are the worst arguments you have ever seen or heard, on any subject, topic or issue? And why don't they hold up?

Chestertonian

"You don't believe in Zeus, Thor, Apollo etc. I just believe in one less god than you do."

Even if I didn't believe in any of the established religions, I'd still believe in a creator of some sort.

Winchester

"He put on a badge, so he can keep you from committing sins through the use of force. And if you resist, he can kill you. Because badge!"

PhuturePriest

"Yeah, she was raped, and that's bad -- BUT! SHE was the one that went to a party of drunk guys by herself. What did she expect? She's at fault, too!"

CatholicsAreKewl

"Yeah, she was raped, and that's bad -- BUT! SHE was the one that went to a party of drunk guys by herself. What did she expect? She's at fault, too!"

This one bugs me too. I didn't realize that people actually thought this way until i read stats/ heard someone make such a comment. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

This one bugs me too. I didn't realize that people actually thought this way until i read stats/ heard someone make such a comment. 

It's really ugly out there man. I don't know if there's been a over-arching survey on beliefs about rape but I'd probably be afraid to look at it.

"It's 2013 and we're still doing/believing x/y/z" insinuating that of course progression is always good and the latest mode of thought must automatically be the greatest.

CatholicsAreKewl

"I'm not racist... but I'd never go out with a girl who's dated a black guy. That's just gross."

After bragging about the # of girls x has slept with, "Man, I would never marry a girl who has dated more than 3 guys."

Chestertonian

"I'm not racist... but I'd never go out with a girl who's dated a black guy. That's just gross."

After bragging about the # of girls x has slept with, "Man, I would never marry a girl who has dated more than 3 guys."

Not really sure if those are arguments. :p

"Why work to overturn Roe v. Wade? Even if abortion is illegal, abortions will still take place."

I was discussing abortion with a friend (who is a supporter) and the conversation slowly dwindled down to the point where he said straight out "Well, I dont think murder is wrong"

Then I gave up

PhuturePriest

I was discussing abortion with a friend (who is a supporter) and the conversation slowly dwindled down to the point where he said straight out "Well, I dont think murder is wrong"

Then I gave up

You should have asked him if he thought it would be wrong if you killed him right then. I bet his stance on the morality of murder would change.

CatholicsAreKewl

Then I gave up

LOL what? But murder is defined as unlawfully killing someone. You should have reported him immediately or bought him a dictionary.

CatholicsAreKewl

Not really sure if those are arguments. :P

No, they totally are.

^ Add that to your worst arguments list.  :hehe2:

Basilisa Marie

"You're wrong because you're being too emotional."   :|

Edited by Basilisa Marie