An Old School Catholic Message Board

The United States Is/are

dairygirl4u2c

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Laudate_Dominum

Apart from rare contexts I've tended to say "The United States is.." and I'd not really thought about it before now. I'll make a conscious effort to say "The United States are.." henceforth. I like it!

Edited by Laudate_Dominum

CatholicsAreKewl

Apart from rare contexts I've tended to say "The United States is.." and I'd not really thought about it before now. I'll make a conscious effort to say "The United States are.." henceforth. I like it!

Ditto.gif

dairygirl4u2c

i dont think there's a wrong or right way. 

the article shows how the plural v singular form of "the United States" has corresponded throughout history to the citizens' perception of unity...

your use of is might show you to be more of a unified mindset than individual. or might just be the way you pronoounce it

dairygirl4u2c

i think you might be able to argue that it should be the united states IS because it is a singular entity and proper noun, even if there are multiple states and thought of that way. pretty sure you could use the other form too, or else people doing it wrong are being grammatically incorrect, but it at least wouldnt be automatically wrong to use IS. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

United states is, is a direction. United states are, is a destination. Actually i just made that up, i wouldn't have a clue.