An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holding Hands At The Our Father

dells_of_bittersweet

fides' Jack

Nope.

From the GIRM:

Please note the phrase "if appropriate, they may sit or kneel after Communion."  In other words, it's not always appropriate. Please note that sitting has the same status as kneeling in these rubrics.

The 2002 GIRM actually said "standing only" I believe. The special permission saying it was OK to sit or kneel if you wanted to, was thrown in there for the latest edition of the GIRM after one of the American bishops submitted a dubium to the Congregation for Divine Worship asking for clarification.

Standing for the agnus dei is also the universal posture as clearly indicated by the indult for the United States, making a special allowance for the local custom of kneeling.

I've always read that "period of silence after Communion" does not include the period of time while others are still receiving - since that's still technically Communion.

Do you have a good source to say that technically speaking, standing is the preferred during Communion?  Because I'd be very interested in that.

CatholicsAreKewl

close your eyes and fold your hands.  I doubt it happens frequently or at all that someone just yanks your hand away from itself.  If you fold your hands then people may stick their hand out for your to hold but they are not going to yank your hand over to their.  Close your eyes so you won't see them holding out their hand to yours.  Its really simple and would avoid people having to nit pick what everyone else is doing during mass.

Agreed. Just to be safe, I wear one of these

dont_touch_me_t_shirts-r107e978aa66c41a2

yes and that happens once in a blue moon.  I can't imagine this happens at every mass or nearly every mass.  yes it will happen once in a blue moon but I would say just guessing 99% of the time someone will not be so rude to grab your hand when your eyes are closed and hands clasped together.

why are you so deadset against the experiences that i've had at Mass? why are you so insistent on telling me that my experiences are wrong? :blink: speaking of rude people..... :rolleyes:

and yes, every time I go to Mass with my dad, it happens that someone tries to grab my hand. (yes, it's in the same town. it's the parish I grew up in.) I would say it happens still (at the parish I go to) at least every 6 weeks or so. and why should I close my eyes? I don't want to. p.s. as Icey as already pointed out,  closing your eyes is generally not a good idea with little kids around. 

Edited by Lil Red

Lol wut

I dont this what he said was meant as a personal attack against your experiences.  :hehe: 

This is the debate table after all.

IcePrincessKRS

Lol wut

I dont this what he said was meant as a personal attack against your experiences.  :hehe: 

This is the debate table after all.

She never said it was any sort of attack. But he is basically brushing her experiences aside like it's a rare occurrence (once in a blue moon). Every few weeks is way, way too often. Why does he feel the need to discredit her?

I wasn't raised (in the 60's) in our Catholic Church to hold hands period!!! During our father...no giving the sign of peace..nothing like that! Therefor..it makes me feel odd and uncomfortable! I don't believe in doing it!

PhuturePriest

It is awfully uncomfortable when people try and hold your hand, even though your hands are raised to your head and clasped together in a really obvious way. This is why the Midwest Catholic Family Conference is so wonderful. There are thousands of Catholics gathered together at Mass, and if you look (Which I do for fun sometimes), not one family is holding hands. It's beautiful.

Anyway, I don't find holding hands to be appropriate, especially when it's forced on you (After all, "no" means "no"). There are circumstances where I would allow myself to hold hands, like if a child next to me wanted to hold hands, but other than that, I keep my hands to myself.

Fj- in the 60's in our Catholic Church...my grandparents as with everyone else..kneeled after taking communion! Thus...I do as well!

Chestertonian

Growing up, I'd always try to sit next to a cute girl at Mass so I could hold her hand during the Our Father.

Pathetic you say? Yes, yes it was.

CatholicsAreKewl

Growing up, I'd always try to sit next to a cute girl at Mass so I could hold her hand during the Our Father.

Pathetic you say? Yes, yes it was.

This is why we can't have nice things.

It is awfully uncomfortable when people try and hold your hand, even though your hands are raised to your head and clasped together in a really obvious way. 

I agree, My parish doesnt hold hands at all...so when I go to other parishes I just clasp my hands together prayerfully. But you WILL run into that one eager person who wants to spread the love.  :hehe2:

If thats the case, I will hold their hand. While I prefer not to, participating wont ruin the mass for me in any way. 

PhuturePriest

I agree, My parish doesnt hold hands at all...so when I go to other parishes I just clasp my hands together prayerfully. But you WILL run into that one eager person who wants to spread the love.  :hehe2:

If thats the case, I will hold their hand. While I prefer not to, participating wont ruin the mass for me in any way. 

Yeah. I know some people who would rather shoot themselves in the foot, and they have no problem telling this to the person trying to hold their hand. I just go with a nicer approach. I'm too nice to do half the things that some people I know do. :P

hehe I agree! 

The person obviously has no ill intentions! They just wanna spread the love and participate with you....and sometimes they REALLY want to participate with you. We shouldnt be allowing ourselves to hold grudges in the middle of mass anyways!