An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holding Hands At The Our Father

dells_of_bittersweet

I have had someone yank on my arm to hold one of my hands that were clasped together.

Edited by Lil Red

IcePrincessKRS

Ditto. Or nudge me and treat me like I'm being rude for not holding their hand. ETA: I've also had them stick their hand pretty much right in front of me (once directly in front of my face, I could have spit in his hand). That's realllly hard to ignore.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

I have had someone yank on my arm to hold one of my hands that were clasped together.

Probably wanted to see your fabulous fingernails.  

Srsly. It happened to me and I pulled back my hand. I still have a scar on my neck from the stare down she gave me.

Ditto. Or nudge me and treat me like I'm being rude for not holding their hand. ETA: I've also had them stick their hand pretty much right in front of me (once directly in front of my face, I could have spit in his hand). That's realllly hard to ignore.

I had someone, who after being ignored by me, nudged me pretty hard with their elbow. Let's just say that I didn't shake their hand at the sign of peace.

havok579257

yes and that happens once in a blue moon.  I can't imagine this happens at every mass or nearly every mass.  yes it will happen once in a blue moon but I would say just guessing 99% of the time someone will not be so rude to grab your hand when your eyes are closed and hands clasped together.

havok579257

just don't hold their hand.  if they keep it there as the prayer starts lean over and say excuse you and go back to the prayer.  who really cares if they think you are being rude I say

IcePrincessKRS

just don't hold their hand.  if they keep it there as the prayer starts lean over and say excuse you and go back to the prayer.  who really cares if they think you are being rude I say

Where did I say I held their hand?

how about just stop watching how everyone else prays and focus on yourself.  I really don't care what anyone on here says about not watching others pray if you know what % of your parish holds hands during the Our Father.  People on here really tend to be so interested in what everyone else is doing in mass.  Forget about what others are doing.  Stop watching everyone and focus on yourself.  Close your eyes during the Our Father if need be. 

It says something to me about how much someone is really into the prayer when they comment so much about how others pray during the Our Father.

How about trying to focus on Jesus Christ. With all respect, you have no cause to say people in this thread are proactively scoping out who is and who is not holding hands (i.e. busy-bodies). That is a gross conjecture on your part.  When half or more of the people are holding hands makes it very hard to not notice. I am sure that seeing people hold hands does not (very little if any) impact people's saying the Lord's Prayer. It is simply a discussion here.  Just closing your eyes is not a solution that I find helpful.

Edited by Papist

franciscanheart

YES! That's happened to me too. Like, dude, you think I don't see your hand? Please put your hand back down.

Anyway, the point IS: wait... what's the point again?

IcePrincessKRS

How about trying to focus on Jesus Christ. With all respect, you have no cause to say people in this thread are proactively scoping out who is and who is not holding hands (i.e. busy-bodies). That is a gross conjecture on your part.  When half or more of the people are holding hands makes it very hard to not notice. I am sure that seeing people hold hands does not (very little if any) impact people's saying the Lord's Prayer. It is simply a discussion here.  Just closing your eyes is not a solution that I find helpful.

Especially when you have toddlers underfoot.

HisChildForever

When I was a kid, I remember this old lady grabbed my hand at my Nana's church. I was maybe 10 and it wasn't a pleasant experience.