An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should There Be Limits To The 2nd Amendment?

havok579257

havok579257

Should there be reasonable limits or should you be allowed to have anything you can get your hands on?  Should anybody be allowed to own a rocket launcher or a bazooka or surface to air missles or a nuclear weapon?  Should there be no limits to what firearnms one can have or should there be limits?

Winchester

You appear to labor under the impression that the Second is granting a right to the people, whereas it's really just a proscription against the Federal government (you know, the guys who responsibly incinerated entire cities, slaughtered unarmed Lakota women and children...) abridging a right. Nowhere does it discuss this right being issued.

That leaves the States free to violate the right. From a constitutional perspective.

And your question is loaded.

Edited by Winchester

CatholicsAreKewl

Should there be reasonable limits or should you be allowed to have anything you can get your hands on?  Should anybody be allowed to own a rocket launcher or a bazooka or surface to air missles or a nuclear weapon?  Should there be no limits to what firearnms one can have or should there be limits?

Nukes are fine. As long as you only use them in self defense. 

You appear to labor under the impression that the Second is granting a right to the people, whereas it's really just a proscription against the Federal government (you know, the guys who responsibly incinerated entire cities, slaughtered unarmed Lakota women and children...) abridging a right. Nowhere does it discuss this right being issued.

That leaves the States free to violate the right. From a constitutional perspective.

And your question is loaded.

Not from a constitutional point of view because the actual constitution does not support your viewpoint. What you mean to say is the perspective of the constitution you wish existed, your interpretation of the constitution that existed prior to the 14th amendment.

Any small arms. People talk a lot about automatic weapons, but they are less effective anyways. Assault rifles (semi auto) should be available to every law abiding citizen.

As far as explosive devices, nuclear weapons, and other things of this nature....these are not protected by the second amendment.

KnightofChrist

OH HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY A NEW AND REFRESHING TOPIC NEVER DISCUSSED ON PHATMASS BEFORE!

Nihil Obstat

Should there be limits to the amount of inanity allowed on the debate table? Good grief.

good-grief-charlie-brown.jpg

Chestertonian

Bazookas and rocket launchers aren't considered firearms, and thus aren't protected by the second amendment.

CatholicsAreKewl

Bazookas and rocket launchers aren't considered firearms, and thus aren't protected by the second amendment.

That's debatable...

Chestertonian

That's debatable...

I stand corrected. I guess they are considered firearms.

CatholicsAreKewl

I stand corrected. I guess they are considered firearms.

I was being cheeky but whoa, I guess I was right.

It says 'arms' which would be any weapon.

God the Father

No. Tanks, RPGs, M203s, Mk 19s, attack helicopters, SAMs, ICBMs etc. should be freely available to any citizen who can procure and afford them. Murder is a crime, preparedness is not.

My interpretation of the 2nd is that trained citizens should be able to use anything that the government can use against us.

The pro-gun lobby likes to quote "shall not be infringed" but fails to quote "well regulated" in the same context.