An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cheek Turning V Self Defense

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

so jesus said to turn the other cheek. most theologians say that it's okay to engage in self defense. does this mean that we are forced to conclucde that Jesus meant only as a rule of thumb? or as a general approach to most petty issues thrown your way even perhaps a fist? to walk away etc if possible?

i know some where say it is organized religion, and the rule of man, that says self defense etc is okay.

what are ya'lls thopuights?

i always thought, it's simiilar to Jesus when he at one point said to go get a sword, and at another time to not use the sword as those who live by it will die by it. these are not contradictions but rather guidelines that must be reconciableable.

i also fuigure that Jesus could have engeaged in self defense, but out of love chose not to exercise his right.

thoughts?

The church has not intepereted the sword quote to be a condemnation of the use of the sword.

Ver. 52. Shall perish by the sword. This was not to condemn the use of the sword, when employed on a just cause, or by lawful authority. Euthymius looks upon it as a prophecy that the Jews should perish by the sword of the Romans. (Witham) --- Our divine Saviour would not permit this apostle to continue in his pious zeal for the safety of his Master. He says to him: put up thy sword. For he could not be unwilling to die for the redemption of man, who chose to be born for that end alone. Now, therefore, he gives power to his implacable enemies to treat him in the most cruel manner, not willing that the triumph of the cross should be in the least deferred; the dominion of the devil and man's captivity in the least prolonged. (St. Leo) (haydoc commentary)
http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id44.html

PhuturePriest

"Turn the other cheek", meant to stand your ground. In ancient Judea, they would slap you with their right (Or was it left?) hand. If you turned the other cheek, they could no longer slap your cheek with that hand. It means to stand your ground, not be a doormat.

I think The Lord just got tired of idiots asking questions so He would give them these parables to make them shut up.

"Turn the other cheek", meant to stand your ground. In ancient Judea, they would slap you with their right (Or was it left?) hand. If you turned the other cheek, they could no longer slap your cheek with that hand. It means to stand your ground, not be a doormat.

There are laws in the US that deal with this issue. They are called "stand your ground" and "make my day" laws. I prefer "make my day"...it sounds much cooler. 

Basilisa Marie

FP beat me to it.  

It also refers to a back-handed slap, like the kind you would give to someone who is "beneath" you.  By turning your cheek, you physically force them to treat you like an equal.  You're asserting yourself in a non-violent way. 

Sorry but to me that seems like a way to explain away what is one of the greatest statements ever made by a human being. I prefer to think of Jesus as really meaning 'turn the other cheek', not as a justification for upping the ante or self-defense. Maybe Jesus did mean it in that sense - but even if he did, I'd rather the pacifist Jesus. Pacificism is not passivism, I'm not ashamed of offering my other cheek for them to slap. 

Sorry but to me that seems like a way to explain away what is one of the greatest statements ever made by a human being. I prefer to think of Jesus as really meaning 'turn the other cheek', not as a justification for upping the ante or self-defense. Maybe Jesus did mean it in that sense - but even if he did, I'd rather the pacifist Jesus. Pacificism is not passivism, I'm not ashamed of offering my other cheek for them to slap. 

Let them slap both cheeks. Then exercise your 2nd amendment rights. 

Basilisa Marie

Actually a lot of people use "turn the other cheek" as a way to encourage "doormat" behavior.  That somehow you have zero right to stand up for yourself or protest when anyone hurts you.  It's used as an excuse to endorse all kinds of problematic behavior.

But okay, the reasoning for my explanation goes like this - When most people would slap you, they'd use their right hand. If they backhanded slapped you, turning the other cheek forces them to hit you like an equal, if they're going to hit you again.  If they used a regular slap, turning the other cheek takes more effort on your part to actively "show" your other cheek to the person.  I'm not saying you'd be ashamed to offer your cheek - the fact that you aren't is the point. :) 

PhuturePriest

In his Catholicism series, Father Robert Baron gives the explanation Basilisa Marie and I gave. He then made examples of it being played out. Once, Mother Teresa of Calcutta found a hungry child. She brought the child into the bakery, asking the baker for a loaf of bread. He yelled at her to get out, but she stood there. He spat on her face. She said "Thank you for the gift. Now give something to the child." He was shocked because she stood her ground, and gave her the loaf of bread. In another example, Archbishop Tutu was walking down a sidewalk one day, and a white man that was going the opposite way said "Get off the sidewalk. I don't share it with gorillas." Archbishop Tutu stepped aside and replied "I do." (Referring to the man and his behavior).

Non-violence has a wonderful effect on things. If you are a pacifist that would prefer for there to be no fighting, then that's okay. There are plenty of Saints who would agree with you, Saint Francis in particular. But for those of us who believe there comes a time when you need to fight, there are plenty of Saints on our side, too. Both have their merit, and both work if you use them correctly. When I go for a walk tomorrow, if someone punches me, I likely won't fight back until it is absolutely necessary. But if when I am walking someone is punching another person, particularly a girl, you'd better believe I'm going to take them out using whatever means necessary (Outside of death, of course). Generally, if I tried to reason with a person in that situation, I would start getting punched at. I would probably give it a shot, but I wouldn't be hesitant in having to actually fight. Peace and fighting both serve a purpose. I myself would prefer there to be peace all the time, but sometimes you must fight.

I feel similarly. It may be one of the hardest things to accept, but when I look at the utter humiliation that our Lord endured the whole "turning your cheek forces them to acknowledge your dignity" sounds kind of half-assed.