An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nude Art

jim111

That is true, but because of original sin, men are tempted to lust by nudity. This is a biological fact.

:unsure: women are also tempted to lust by nudity. i mean, if David Beckham paraded around in front of me naked, I'll have to answer for lusting after him. 

Nudity is not inherently obscene.

Original sin has increased our passions and makes us sinfully desire things that are normally good. I think where i see a contradiction is why art is OK naked, but it is sinful for women to go in public naked.

Edited by jim111

Nihil Obstat

Original sin makes has increased our passions and makes us desire sin, for things that are normally good. I think where i see a contradiction is why art is OK naked, but it is sinful for women to go in public naked.

Nobody argued women should walk around naked. We are going in circles.
We talked quite a bit about prudence and proper context. Edited by Nihil Obstat

Nobody argued women should walk around naked. We are going in circles.

what i am asking you to explain is how it causes less scandal for a woman to be painted naked, then for a person to be naked.

Nihil Obstat

what i am asking you to explain is how it causes less scandal for a woman to be painted naked, then for a person to be naked.

See my edit.

Original sin has increased our passions and makes us sinfully desire things that are normally good. I think where i see a contradiction is why art is OK naked, but it is sinful for women to go in public naked.

This has already been proposed to you mainly by the repeated statement that art is inherently different from personal nudity. You refuse to even acknowledge or address this point. EmilyAnne has already said it. Nihil and I have said much the same, in that art and personal nudity are not the same. Can you prove they are the same? If they are not the same, then they can be different, and it still falls to you to prove WHY you think that is the case. You keep asserting but never explaining. It's getting annoying.

People buy magazines "playboy" for pleaure. After Trent they specifically coverd all naked pictues in churches because it was an occasion of sin. We established this long ago.

i sincerely hope you are trolling, and do not actually believe that. if you do, methinks you need a sound spiritual director, and to step away from teh interwebz for like, ever. 

I think you are a little obsessed with nudity, modesty, and the like. If this is not the case perhaps you should try making threads about other things.

Nihil Obstat

People buy magazines "playboy" for pleaure. After Trent they specifically coverd all naked pictues in churches because it was an occasion of sin. We established this long ago.

Playboy is a non-sequitur.

CatholicsAreKewl

Playboy is a non-sequitur.

Stop eating my props. I'mma start calling you pac-man. 

Nihil Obstat

what about the effects after trent

They are uncovered now, are they not? :idontknow:

They are uncovered now, are they not? :idontknow:

By a pope who clearly does not understand how scandal works.

By a pope who clearly does not understand how scandal works.

You mean Pope Julius who had nudes painted all over the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?