An Old School Catholic Message Board

Plan B For 15yr Olds.

T-fish

If you follow scientific studies, you are not following God the Creator. The Source of Life.

When we pray for all human life from the moment of natural conception to natural death, we are praying for all life, it's not supposed to be an anti abortion message.

The mechanisms preventing implantation are built into these pills because a woman may have already ovulated when she takes plan b. Also, if the mechanism of plan b was always effective in preventing ovulation, then it would be 100% effective but it's not. So it is entirely possible that in an individual case it may prevent ovulation (and by default, conception), but it can also prevent implantation after conception. 

no scientific evidence of -

"but it can also prevent implantation after conception." 

bro, in the lit review of the study you quoted there were studies cited that said the pill can prevent implantation. There were also studies cited that said it probably doesn't and that this study falls into the latter one. Just because new studies are changing the way we see things that does not mean NO evidence. This is really frustrating how you keep overlooking this pretty basic point. This study doesn't just magically invalidate the other studies that have found different evidence.

no scientific evidence of -

"but it can also prevent implantation after conception." 

bro, in the lit review of the study you quoted there were studies cited that said the pill can prevent implantation. There were also studies cited that said it probably doesn't and that this study falls into the latter one. Just because new studies are changing the way we see things that does not mean NO evidence. This is really frustrating how you keep overlooking this pretty basic point. This study doesn't just magically invalidate the other studies that have found different evidence.

The older studies are based on more primitive research methods. The NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH study I cited says clearly that there is no evidence that plan b can prevent implantation. 

Princeton & NIH > WebMD

No reason to get hostile...

Edited by jeffboom

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12100805

http://ec.princeton....s/EC-Review.pdf

Please re-read the following carefully...

"Several clinical studies have shown that combined ECPs containing the estrogen ethinyl estradiol and the progestin levonorgestrel can inhibit or delay ovulation.53,54,55,56 This mechanism of action may explain ECP effectiveness when used during the first half of the menstrual cycle, before ovulation has occurred. Some studies have shown histologic or biochemical alterations in the endometrium after treatment with the regimen, leading to the conclusion that combined ECPs may act by impairing endometrial receptivity to subsequent implantation of a fertilized egg.54,57,58,59 However, other more recent studies have found no such effects on the endometrium.53,60,61 Additional possible mechanisms include interference with corpus luteum function; thickening of the cervical mucus resulting in trapping of sperm; alterations in the tubal transport of sperm, egg, or embryo; and direct inhibition of fertilization.4,62,63,64 No clinical data exist regarding the last three of these possibilities."

Lame.

Toooo bad Plan B wasn't around in your mama's day.

Um....my conception was intentional. Unless you are suggesting that plan b can abort an embryo. Which it can't. But you wish I was aborted? Thats a lovely comment. 

Would you still like my mother's number? I asked her and she is willing to talk to you. 

Edited by jeffboom

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Abortion begins in the heart and mind. The desire to prevent the natural course of sexual intercourse is abortive. There you have it. 

Abortion begins in the heart and mind. The desire to prevent the natural course of sexual intercourse is abortive. There you have it.

No I believe this is contraception. Abortion is the act of preventing an embryo from becoming viable, and/ or physically or chemically destroying the embryo.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

The only exception in my mind is epitopical pregnancy (however it is spelt.) Where if the baby isn't aborted the women has such a probable chance of death, if the women dies she can not reproduce. Threats of suicide not included in the probable death scenario. Until medicine finds a way to remove the unborn child from the phelopium tube (sorry spelling again,) and replant him or her in the womb, than there is no other viable option to save the mothers life.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

No I believe this is contraception. Abortion is the act of preventing an embryo from becoming viable, and/ or physically or chemically destroying the embryo.

The idea is to prevent the natural cycle of life. That to me is pressing the abort button, even before pregnancy occurs. Condoms included. We have alot of mess to clean up that the hippies have created when it comes to how we think about sex.

The only exception in my mind is epitopical pregnancy (however it is spelt.) Where if the baby isn't aborted the women has such a probable chance of death, if the women dies she can not reproduce. Threats of suicide not included in the probable death scenario. Until medicine finds a way to remove the unborn child from the phelopium tube (sorry spelling again,) and replant him or her in the womb, than there is no other viable option to save the mothers life.

This is a whole other side of the abortion issue.

KnightofChrist

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12100805

http://ec.princeton....s/EC-Review.pdf

"Several clinical studies have shown that combined ECPs containing the estrogen ethinyl estradiol and the progestin levonorgestrel can inhibit or delay ovulation.53,54,55,56 This mechanism of action may explain ECP effectiveness when used during the first half of the menstrual cycle, before ovulation has occurred. Some studies have shown histologic or biochemical alterations in the endometrium after treatment with the regimen, leading to the conclusion that combined ECPs may act by impairing endometrial receptivity to subsequent implantation of a fertilized egg.54,57,58,59 However, other more recent studies have found no such effects on the endometrium.53,60,61 Additional possible mechanisms include interference with corpus luteum function; thickening of the cervical mucus resulting in trapping of sperm; alterations in the tubal transport of sperm, egg, or embryo; and direct inhibition of fertilization.4,62,63,64 No clinical data exist regarding the last three of these possibilities."[/size]

I've re-read it carefully, I still find it questionable that this study doesn't view an abortion as such until after implantation. I also find it questionable that this study clearly advocates access to and use of birth control and abortive products it says are ok, that doesn't seem very objective. Edited by KnightofChrist

I've re-read it carefully, I still find it questionable that this study doesn't view an abortion as such until after implantation. I also find it questionable that this study clearly advocates access to and use of birth control and abortive products it says are ok, that doesn't seem very objective.

ANY embryo will die without implantation. 

I'm not hostile, I'm just slightly irritated because you're not getting a very simple concept and you keep insisting that others are the ones being unscientific.

Some studies have shown histologic or biochemical alterations in the endometrium after treatment with the regimen, leading to the conclusion that combined ECPs may act by impairing endometrial receptivity to subsequent implantation of a fertilized egg.54,57,58,59

These studies do show a possible effect. You say they used primitive research methods? I don't think that necessarily invalidates them, and I sure as hell don't think you can now say "there's no scientific evidence" for this position.

However, other more recent studies have found no such effects on the endometrium.53,60,61

So these studies and this present one contradicts the ones cited above. Great. This means there's ambiguity. There's still no reason to assume the former studies can simply be discounted. You think they were inferior, but frankly if we're all a bunch of lay people here so just using the info presented in this thread there's no reason to read the leap you've made. Unless you're using other sources.

Additional possible mechanisms

This tips me off to a signal that now the article will be talking about mechanisms that have not been mentioned, which are:

include interference with corpus luteum function; thickening of the cervical mucus resulting in trapping of sperm; alterations in the tubal transport of sperm, egg, or embryo; and direct inhibition of fertilization.4,62,63,64

so this:

No clinical data exist regarding the last three of these possibilities."

is talking about these 3 "thickening of the cervical mucus resulting in trapping of sperm; alterations in the tubal transport of sperm, egg, or embryo; and direct inhibition of fertilization" NOT "histologic or biochemical alterations in the endometrium" which the article mentions that there are indeed other studies that have demonstrated this, as well as studies that have refuted it.

Again, I'm not mad, just precise :)