An Old School Catholic Message Board

Plan B For 15yr Olds.

T-fish

CatholicsAreKewl

A few deaths and lawsuits, that will be ignored by the media, shall ensue.

The ends always justify the means. 

ToJesusMyHeart

It's better than 15 year olds getting abortions. Which does happen.

Same thing. Plan B causes abortions. 

Come at me, bro.

Same thing. Plan B causes abortions. 

Come at me, bro.

Levonorgestrel, the active ingredient of "plan b", prevents fertilization by inhibiting ovulation. It cannot prevent a fertilized egg from becoming attached to the uterus. How is this an abortion?

via webmd "It is also possible that this type of emergency birth control prevents implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus by altering its lining."

Edited by Ice_nine

CatholicsAreKewl
This mechanism of action may explain ECP effectiveness when used during the first half of the menstrual cycle, before ovulation has occurred. Some studies have shown histologic or biochemical alterations in the endometrium after treatment with the regimen, leading to the conclusion that combined ECPs may act by impairing endometrial receptivity to subsequent implantation of a fertilized egg.54,57,58,59 However, other more recent studies have found no such effects on the endometrium.53,60,61

Another study found that ulipristal acetate altered the endometrium, but whether this change would inhibit implantation is unknown.85 ECPs do not interrupt an established pregnancy, defined by medical authorities such as the United States Food and Drug Administration/National Institutes of Health86 and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists87 as beginning with implantation. Therefore, ECPs are not abortifacient.

To make an informed choice, women must know that ECPs—like all regular hormonal contraceptives such as the birth control pill, the implant Implanon, the vaginal ring NuvaRing, the Evra patch, and the injectable Depo-Provera,88 and even breastfeeding89,90,91,92—prevent pregnancy primarily by delaying or inhibiting ovulation and inhibiting fertilization, but may at times inhibit implantation of a fertilized egg in the endometrium. At the same time, however, all women should be informed that the best available evidence is that the ability of levonorgestrel and ulipristal acetate ECPs to prevent pregnancy can be fully accounted for by mechanisms that do not involve interference with post-fertilization events.

Its very high effectiveness implies that emergency insertion of a copper IUD must be able to prevent pregnancy after fertilization. 

Since the writers weren't considerate enough to offer a Spark Notes version, I did a lazy job of collecting quotes from this article by searching "implantation". I have no idea what any of this means, though. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

CatholicsAreKewl

I'm confused. Does this mean the Church would no longer consider this murder?

There's a reason it's called an emergency contraceptive. That is because it's a contraceptive. 

Edited by jeffboom

It's called the abortion pill.

Teach your children well. 

Procreation, not recreation!