An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Does The Church Teach On Modest. Rule-no Opinions, Doctrin Only

jim111

There seems to be a disagrement on what part of the body must be covered for one to be considered decent, this is in relation to women.

RULES

The base for all arguments must be catholic Doctrin

-no opinion

You may support your arguemts with your own words, ass long as it is to expaline the relevance or irelevance of the doctrin.

You may also quote historical information that would logically lead to the conclusion that the church approves of a certain fashion under certain circumstances.

You may not state you disagree, unless you have contrary doctrin.

You can use tradition or lack of tradition as an arguement.

You may support your arguemts with your own words, ass long as it is to expaline the relevance or irelevance of the doctrin.

Now that is immodest. :lol:

Arguments are for he debate board. Please keep them ere. Thank you.

My intnention was to make this less abut arguing, and mostly what the church teaches on this.

Standards of Modesty in Dress
Imprimatur dated Sept. 24, 1956
"A dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat; which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows; and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knees.  Furthermore, dresses of transparent materials are improper."

The Cardinal Vicar of  Pius XII

From this we can conclude that any clothing that is higher then knee length, or lower then the pit of the throat can not be considered modest.

Jim, what level of Magisterial authority has that document?

Im not sure, but every argument i have heard against it, has been purely on opinion. It is certainly consistent with tradition, and even when the pope is speaking fallible we are to trust him unless we have a good reason not too. Cultural norms are not a valid reason for it to become modest.

Again, I may be traditional, but if a post V2 pope has allowed some leniency on this, I will accept it as a valid argument.

Here is another quote which I think has more authority.

'We recall that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows, and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knee. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper. Let parents keep their daughters away from public gymnastic games and contests; but, if their daughters are compelled to attend such exhibitions, let them see to it that they are fully and modestly dressed. Let them never permit their daughters to don immodest garb.'

The Sacred Congregation of the Council (by the mandate of Pope Pius XI), January 12, 1930 A.D.

Im not sure, but every argument i have heard against it, has been purely on opinion. It is certainly consistent with tradition, and even when the pope is speaking fallible we are to trust him unless we have a good reason not too. Cultural norms are not a valid reason for it to become modest.

Why not? You got a document for that?

Also, why do we need an additional "modern" document to contradict a document which is not given with magisterial authority? Is prudence no longer valuable?

Nihil Obstat

Why do you say that? Are you simply saying that modest clothing is completely, 100% objective, and not related at all to culture? Because I do not think I can agree with that.

Why not? You got a document for that?

Also, why do we need an additional "modern" document to contradict a document which is not given with magisterial authority? Is prudence no longer valuable?

This is part of the ordinary magisterium, which we are obligated to follow under obedience to our holy father, unless it is in contradiction with other teachings.

'We recall that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows, and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knee. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper. Let parents keep their daughters away from public gymnastic games and contests; but, if their daughters are compelled to attend such exhibitions, let them see to it that they are fully and modestly dressed. Let them never permit their daughters to don immodest garb.'

The Sacred Congregation of the Council (by the mandate of Pope Pius XI), January 12, 1930 A.D.

Why do you say that? Are you simply saying that modest clothing is completely, 100% objective, and not related at all to culture? Because I do not think I can agree with that.

What i am saying is that within all cultures, there is a minimum that can never be considered decent regardless of culture. I am staying that is what Rome was saying, since they issued it to the world.

Edited by jim111

jim, can you tell me what the modest dress standards are for men? Please don't provide  your opinion. Please provide direct quotes from the Holy Father. thanks.

jim, can you tell me what the modest dress standards are for men? Please don't provide  your opinion. Please provide direct quotes from the Holy Father. thanks.

I honestly don't know, but I would be interested in learning. I would also listen to saints as well as popes.

Nihil Obstat

What i am saying is that within all cultures, there is a minimum that can never be considered decent regardless of culture. I am staying that is what Rome was saying, since they issued it to the world.

Perhaps we are approaching this in the wrong way. What if, instead of calling it a minimal standard, we argue that there is a certain minimal universal which, more or less, all cultures adhere to. Call that the foundation of modesty. But I think modesty has quite a bit more to it than that. So there is a certain universal standard, but that standard is not the same as the standards of modesty.

For instance, I am willing to argue that there is nothing inherently wrong about, for instance, an African tribe whose standard of dress is radically different from our own. But I would argue that dressing the same in our culture is quite probably immodest. Would you agree?

I honestly don't know, but I would be interested in learning. I would also listen to saints as well as popes.

Why do you know about the women's standard, but not the man's? You're a man right - so you should be evaluating your own outfits for modesty on a daily basis, right? Why are you so well-informed about women's modesty but not men's?