An Old School Catholic Message Board

Immigration Control.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

No, we would produce cheap high quality marijuana that would completely undermine their operation. Mexican marijuana is terrible. 

Which has no bearing on the other drugs that cartels will just keep dealing. 

That really wouldn't stop them. They'd just keep selling other drugs.

And low quality marijuana constitutes the vast majority of Mexican cartel revenue. They are not really known to smuggle other drugs. Occasionally cocaine and heroin but those are produced in other countries. Without exporting marijuana, the Mexican cartels would be crippled.

And low quality marijuana constitutes the vast majority of Mexican cartel revenue. They are not really known to smuggle other drugs. Occasionally cocaine and heroin but those are produced in other countries. Without exporting marijuana, the Mexican cartels would be crippled.

I wasn't aware this discussion was limited purely to Mexico. 

I wasn't aware this discussion was limited purely to Mexico. 

Mexico and other Latin American countries are what comes to mind when discussing immigration reform. Maybe this is all I think about because I live in Texas. 

Nevertheless, legalizing a large group of formerly illegal drugs in the United States would severely undermine many international cartels.

The revenue generated from taxing drugs inside the United States could be used towards integrating immigrants into our society, and then securing our borders. 

Its a win-win situation...we undermine international cartels, and provide a way for immigrants to become tax paying citizens. 

I disagree with the premise of your "compromise" that grants all illegal immigrants legal status. That would merely encourage mass immigration and put huge burdens on healthcare, welfare, housing, etc. 

Mexico and other Latin American countries are what comes to mind when discussing immigration reform. Maybe this is all I think about because I live in Texas. 

Nevertheless, legalizing a large group of formerly illegal drugs in the United States would severely undermine many international cartels.

The revenue generated from taxing drugs inside the United States could be used towards integrating immigrants into our society, and then securing our borders. 

Its a win-win situation...we undermine international cartels, and provide a way for immigrants to become tax paying citizens. 

You're still missing the point that drug cartels aren't exactly just gonna suddenly become law-abiding citizens, and that in a lot of countries drug cartels are about a lot more than marijuana. 

CatholicsAreKewl

I disagree with the premise of your "compromise" that grants all illegal immigrants legal status. That would merely encourage mass immigration and put huge burdens on healthcare, welfare, housing, etc. 

You're still missing the point that drug cartels aren't exactly just gonna suddenly become law-abiding citizens, and that in a lot of countries drug cartels are about a lot more than marijuana. 

This is why we should legalize ALL drugs... and prostitution. The evils that come from banning these things far outweighs the good imo. 

This is why we should legalize ALL drugs... and prostitution. The evils that come from banning these things far outweighs the good imo. 

Yes, because giving people unlimited access to hideously dangerous substances is a really good idea. Really? Think about that. 

I don't think the cartel members should become citizens. Any known criminal should be barred from US citizenship. Plus, the cartel members operate in other countries and pay other people to bring the product to the US. Cartel operatives do not want to come to the US. They know they will get caught. 

If most drugs are made legal in the US, there would be a sharp decrease in cartel activity in any country.

Yes, because giving people unlimited access to hideously dangerous substances is a really good idea. Really? Think about that. 

If someone is going to use dangerous drugs, they will do it regardless of the law. Every single dangerous drug is available in the US. Plus, if someone wants to destroy their body, let them. They will do it anyway. 

If drugs are legal, they will be more regulated and taxed. This will curb cartel violence and the US will have money to spend on educating and treating drug addicts. Currently we just imprison them.  

Nihil Obstat

No, we would produce cheap high quality marijuana that would completely undermine their operation. Mexican marijuana is terrible. 

I hear some of the best comes out of the BC interior, specifically in and around Nelson.

If someone is going to use dangerous drugs, they will do it regardless of the law. Every single dangerous drug is available in the US. Plus, if someone wants to destroy their body, let them. They will do it anyway. 

If drugs are legal, they will be more regulated and taxed. This will curb cartel violence and the US will have money to spend on educating and treating drug addicts. Currently we just imprison them.  

You'd be surprised how strong punishments can really deter people. I lived in Singapore, where punishments for drug possession are very severe and believe me that scared people enough to think twice. 

I hear some of the best comes out of the BC interior, specifically in and around Nelson.

I'm a Texan, so I rarely am in that area. Apparently Vancouver has "coffee shops" like Amsterdam. 

I believe POM is illegal in Canada, but it is very rarely enforced. 

You'd be surprised how strong punishments can really deter people. I lived in Singapore, where punishments for drug possession are very severe and believe me that scared people enough to think twice. 

In the US, capital punishment is known not to deter capital crime. 

CatholicsAreKewl

You are absolutely right. However, i'll give you four reasons why I don't agree with you.

1. A person should have the right to make such a mistake. While punishment is a deterrent,  the better deterrent is knowledge about these substances and how they affect you. Self-discipline is another stronger deterrent than punishment. Would you do heroin if it was legal? Of course not. 

2. The black-market should never benefit from these things. Making these drugs (and prostitution) illegal gives criminals a great amount of power, is a source of police corruption (police, like any normal person, can be easily bought), and leads to more people ultimately dying.

3. There are ways around any law if a person wants to actually get high. For example, there are many herbs and flowers that render similar effects to many of the illegal drugs on the black market. They haven't been made illegal. If people really want to get high, they will.  

4. The black market is such now that it is easier for a middle schooler to buy weed than it is for him/her to buy alcohol (I know people who used to smoke in Middle School). If you're very concerned about the wrong people getting these drugs, I would think that you would want the government to place regulations on the drugs sold. They can't do that if these drugs are illegal. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Nihil Obstat

I'm a Texan, so I rarely am in that area. Apparently Vancouver has "coffee shops" like Amsterdam.

I believe POM is illegal in Canada, but it is very rarely enforced.

Depends where you are and who you are dealing with. Around here there is some discretion for small amounts- they just make the person destroy it. Less leeway for large amounts.
They may be more lenient still in BC. I only know about Calgary.