An Old School Catholic Message Board

Will Jp2 Be Canonized, Why?

jim111

Will JP2 be Canonized  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Basilisa Marie

I think he'll definitely be canonized, but I don't like the fact that they waved all the waiting periods.  The whole point of waiting periods is so that emotions can die down... high fervor like the kind that surrounded JPII.  They need to either get rid of them all together, or apply them to everyone.   :)

I do think he's definitely a saint, though.  

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Nihil Obstat

I would say "without a doubt", but I am ambivalent tending towards wary at the speed with which it is being conducted.

I also hope that his canonization will not 'canonize by proxy' every little thing he said, wrote, and did.

Spem in alium

Also "without a doubt" in my view, though like others I too question the swiftness in which this decision has arisen. Seems way too hasty to me.

dominicansoul

well, seeing that there is supernatural proof of his heavenly intercession, I don't see why not........

Basilisa Marie

I would say "without a doubt", but I am ambivalent tending towards wary at the speed with which it is being conducted.

I also hope that his canonization will not 'canonize by proxy' every little thing he said, wrote, and did.

Yeah, I agree (but for probably different reasons, ha!), thought it seems like people are free to "not like" some things other saints say, so it seems like it wouldn't be an issue.  At least technically speaking.  I mean, sainthood just means that he lead and extraordinarily holy life, not that every word that dropped from his mouth was divinely inspired. :)

TheLordsSouljah

Though it's kinda a different person and era, if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure St Anthony of Padua was canonized after a year. How does that work?

Basilisa Marie

Though it's kinda a different person and era, if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure St Anthony of Padua was canonized after a year. How does that work?

The whole process of canonization is a pretty recent thing in the history of the Church.  Before it was established, most saints became recognized mostly through popular devotion.  

The canonization process was established to give the system some kind of structure, and the required miracles are sort of like "spiritual proof" that the person is in heaven. :) 

Yeah, I agree (but for probably different reasons, ha!), thought it seems like people are free to "not like" some things other saints say, so it seems like it wouldn't be an issue.  At least technically speaking.  I mean, sainthood just means that he lead and extraordinarily holy life, not that every word that dropped from his mouth was divinely inspired. :)

I thought Saint hood just guarnateed one was one heaven. A conclusion reached, by the life one lived.

In theory, is it not possible a canonized Sain did not have an extraordinarily holy life, but barely made it not heaven?

Nihil Obstat

I thought Saint hood just guarnateed one was one heaven. A conclusion reached, by the life one lived.

In theory, is it not possible a canonized Sain did not have an extraordinarily holy life, but barely made it not heaven?

If I am not mistaken, to canonize a saint is more than to guarantee that the person is in heaven, but also to hold them up as an example of heroic virtue and Christian charity.

If I am not mistaken, to canonize a saint is more than to guarantee that the person is in heaven, but also to hold them up as an example of heroic virtue and Christian charity.

But isint the only infalliable part, that they are in heaven.

Nihil Obstat

But isint the only infalliable part, that they are in heaven.

That, I do not know. Interesting thought.