An Old School Catholic Message Board

Not Another Harry Potter Debate

fides' Jack

fides' Jack

Rules of the thread: I'm honestly not trying to start another Harry Potter debate.  I would like people to read the article posted below and offer their insights; what is the author missing?  What are his best points?  Honestly, if you don't read at least most of the article, I would appreciate it if you would not post in this thread - in order to help avoid turning this into a heated fight.  So I'll say it right here - this thread is not about Harry Potter; it's about the article I'm posting.

As new parents, my wife and I have had a number of discussions about the role of magic in literature and video.  Naturally, the classic argument between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings comes up.  We're both against HP and for LOTR, but I don't think we ever really had clear reasons why.

I recently found and read this article:

http://www.decentfilms.com/articles/magic

This was written way back when both movie series were first coming out, but it presents, from a Christian's point of view, the best arguments for and against HP that I've ever come across.  In the end, the best position I read from the author is that a reader who is well-rounded with a number of other "classics" in literature should not be adversely affected by reading Harry Potter - as long as the reader keeps things in context.  But as so many HP advocates have pointed out, the HP series has turned a number of otherwise illiterate persons to the habit of reading.  So even though the author does not take a condemning stance of HP, I have to wonder whether that argument is a moot point; if (from a Christian perspective) one must be well-grounded and well-read to not be adversely affected by the lack of moral stance in HP, then all these new readers that HP is creating are in very real and grave danger.

So!  What are your thoughts on the article, and specifically about the author's "hedges", and how they apply to several other literary themes?

Why are you against fantasy books? Perhaps your faith is not strong enough.

My son thought Harry Potter was real. He thought he could go to Hogwarts. But my son also knew that Jesus was God. He professed this unexpected to me...... without watching any movies about God.

I love the Onion!

fides' Jack

Please comment only on the posted article.  I have no idea where you got the idea that I have anything against fantasy books...

And The Onion is funny - but it's so crass, crude, and anti-Christian that I've decided not to go there again. 

Movies about God?  What are you talking about?

Please keep comments limited to thoughts on the article!

Rules of the thread: I'm honestly not trying to start another Harry Potter debate.  I would like people to read the article posted below and offer their insights; what is the author missing?  What are his best points?  Honestly, if you don't read at least most of the article, I would appreciate it if you would not post in this thread - in order to help avoid turning this into a heated fight.  So I'll say it right here - this thread is not about Harry Potter; it's about the article I'm posting.

As new parents, my wife and I have had a number of discussions about the role of magic in literature and video.  Naturally, the classic argument between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings comes up.  We're both against HP and for LOTR, but I don't think we ever really had clear reasons why.

I recently found and read this article:

http://www.decentfilms.com/articles/magic

This was written way back when both movie series were first coming out, but it presents, from a Christian's point of view, the best arguments for and against HP that I've ever come across.  In the end, the best position I read from the author is that a reader who is well-rounded with a number of other "classics" in literature should not be adversely affected by reading Harry Potter - as long as the reader keeps things in context.  But as so many HP advocates have pointed out, the HP series has turned a number of otherwise illiterate persons to the habit of reading.  So even though the author does not take a condemning stance of HP, I have to wonder whether that argument is a moot point; if (from a Christian perspective) one must be well-grounded and well-read to not be adversely affected by the lack of moral stance in HP, then all these new readers that HP is creating are in very real and grave danger.

So!  What are your thoughts on the article, and specifically about the author's "hedges", and how they apply to several other literary themes?

Good luck with that. Next is Hunger Games debate.

fides' Jack

Thanks - I knew it was a long shot to begin with...

Don't post it here, but I didn't know there was a problem with the Hunger Games...  I'll have to look into that...

"Naturally, the classic argument between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings comes up.  We're both against HP and for LOTR, but I don't think we ever really had clear reasons why."

If you follow Christ, everyone is against you.

I did comment on the Article. I love the Onion. If you can't decipher what is satire and what is Truth.....

I will pray for your children. 

HisChildForever

There's magic in LOTR used by good AND bad characters. How is that any different from HP? lol

fides' Jack

Again - please don't comment if you don't read the article.  This thread is to get GOOD discussion about the differences between them which are presented there.

PhuturePriest

The issue with your link is that it's a book long. No one with things to do is going to read it. Just cite certain paragraphs that you like, and that will get the discussion going.

fides' Jack

I see your point - I should have warned about that.  Still, the discussion is on the whole thing - not parts.  If you don't have half an hour to read it, don't try to participate in the discussion.  FP, considering how much time you spend here, I don't think that's your problem... :)

Edited by fides' Jack

The issue with your link is that it's a book long. No one with things to do is going to read it. Just cite certain paragraphs that you like, and that will get the discussion going.

I agree, although it would be better if you could boil it down to a sentence or two. Actually, if you could make it into a icanhazcheezburger cat meme that would be ideal. 

Ive read the Harry Potter books and I wont post my thoughts since you wanted us to read an insanely long article instead.

TLDR

fides' Jack

No takers then?  Well, it was worth a shot.  I was hoping to get a perspective on this from some HP advocates.  Oh, well.

fides' Jack

Ive read the Harry Potter books and I wont post my thoughts since you wanted us to read an insanely long article instead.

TLDR

Sigh...

Again, not looking for thoughts on Harry Potter.  Just looking for thoughts on the article.  If it's too long, then don't post.  Simple as that.