An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns Don't Kill People...

fides' Jack

.... how am I advocating aggression?

btw, with regards to ammunition, I am not speaking to its lethality, I am talking about limiting the number of rounds a civilian could possibly shoot in quick succession.

Owning an "assault weapon" is not an act of violence. Banning them is a threat of violence. The actions carried out to punish those caught are violent. That's aggression. You're advocating force be wielded against those who are not being violent. That's aggression. You can look up the non-aggression principle, if you like.

Semi-automatic weapons fire at the same rate. You're apparently on about magazine capacity, then. What's the magical capacity threshold you would set for mere civilians before you supported subjecting them to State-sponsored aggression?

fides' Jack

I can understand why people would want guns for hunting, sport and self protection, all of which would clearly fall under protection of the second amendment.

What I cant understand is failing to recognize that the acquisition of unreasonably deadly weapons, which would be excessive for hunting, sport, or self protection,  might impose a danger to one's community. What's even scarier is the refusal of others to even acknowledge the possibility of such dangers.

Having lived in Missouri for the past two years, I will be the first to say that guns are a natural part of american life, and I have met many responsible gun owners during this time. Frankly KoC, you're right, theres nothing we can do about illegal gun acquisition. What we can regulate, however, is the distribution of new and the purchase of old military-style assault weapons.

If nothing else, we should take fides' Jack's message to heart, and recognize that indeed it is the bullet which takes a life. If it would be too strenuous to regulate the purchases of military-style assault weapons, then we should consider adopting a federal measure regulating the sale of high-capacity magazines similar that which became law in Connecticut last week.

Because guns dont scare me, irresponsible people scare me.

Wait - I just read this.  What message are you talking about?  My message was just to be a smart@$%.  

I guess I failed.

Nihil Obstat

Guns don't kill people. I kill people. With guns.

Will not post the link to the video from which that comes, because there is a high probability of language issues and I do not have time to check. Jon LaJoie, if you want to find it. :P

Not really. It is incredibly easy to acquire actual military weaponry illegally. Almost as easy as it is to acquire any illegal drugs illegally. The war on guns will be just as successful as the war on drugs.

Except for all the countries where it had been effectively waged.  You know, all those countries with drastically lower rates of gun violence and mass shootings.    

Edited by Hasan

If guns don't kill people, why do people want them?

Welcome to the entrance of the rabbit-hole that is the weird world of the gun fanatic.  

Anastasia13

Except for all the countries where it had been effectively waged.  You know, all those countries with drastically lower rates of gun violence and mass shootings.    

<shootings

>stabbings, etc.

It's a tradeoff.

To kill wabbits or ducks . . . depending on the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNETiaGVBoE

Depends on the person. It's amazing what you can learn when you start believing in individual identities.

The point of the phrase about guns not killing people is that the gun itself does not act. Not everyone uses it in that manner, but that's the proper application of the argument.

I possess weapons because they are handy tools for defense.

I'm me, though. There are people who no doubt possess weapons solely for target shooting, and could not imagine using the weapon for defense.

It's a big, big world, with lots of different people.

KnightofChrist

Which countries? And have they actually lowered the over all murder rate and crime rate?

Edited by KnightofChrist

Which countries? And have they actually lowered the over all murder rate and crime rate?

He's probably referring to countries like Great Britain, whose murder rates actually rose after the country passed strict "gun control" laws, and whose murder rates were significantly lower than the U.S.'s well before any significant anti-gun laws were passed there.

The anti-gun rights crowd can make the stats look pretty for them until you start looking at them in any detail.

You can also talk about countries such as Switzerland, which has universal gun ownership as well as one of the world's lowest murder rates.  Or you can discuss how many of the U.S. cities with the strictest gun laws also have some of the highest murder rates.  But we've been there, done that plenty of times on this board.  A good leftist remains impervious to facts.

PhuturePriest

Guns don't kill people. I kill people. With guns.

Will not post the link to the video from which that comes, because there is a high probability of language issues and I do not have time to check. Jon LaJoie, if you want to find it. :P

A martial artist using guns to kill people? What's the name of your McDojo?

Nihil Obstat

A martial artist using guns to kill people? What's the name of your McDojo?

Rex Kwan-Do Dojo of Badassery. With Grandmaster Sensei Shihan Jon LaJoie.

Typical class is a lot like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKhYHrJHA6k

Edited by Nihil Obstat

He's probably referring to countries like Great Britain, whose murder rates actually rose after the country passed strict "gun control" laws, and whose murder rates were significantly lower than the U.S.'s well before any significant anti-gun laws were passed there.
The anti-gun rights crowd can make the stats look pretty for them until you start looking at them in any detail.

You can also talk about countries such as Switzerland, which has universal gun ownership as well as one of the world's lowest murder rates. Or you can discuss how many of the U.S. cities with the strictest gun laws also have some of the highest murder rates. But we've been there, done that plenty of times on this board. A good leftist remains impervious to facts.

What happened to your title? It seems to have changed recently :|