An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can A Psychopath Convert To Catholicism?

ithinkjesusiscool

Anastasia13

Potato, potahto

You just lost coolness though. Sociopaths are cool. Just look at Julian Assange.

A quick google search indicates that psychopaths are born and sociopaths are made, though both exhibit similar traits. I recall a sociopath support forum with a poster saying that going to church and reading the Bible helped in her struggle as a sociopath.

HisChildForever

You just lost coolness though. Sociopaths are cool. Just look at Julian Assange.

A quick google search indicates that psychopaths are born and sociopaths are made, though both exhibit similar traits. I recall a sociopath support forum with a poster saying that going to church and reading the Bible helped in her struggle as a sociopath.

There is really no such thing as a "sociopath," at least not in psychology. It's a term used in the criminal justice system.

HisChildForever

Psychopathy isn't a diagnosis according to either the DSM or the ICD. If you work in a hospital or unit that uses this as a diagnosis, what clinical measures are they using?

PCL-R

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I find it hard to believe anyone can be born a psychopath as i find it hard to believe anyone can be born homosexual. My understanding of the word psychopath is someone whom has no empathy or probably has learnt to supress such feelings of sympathy for whatever reasons. I was also told the correct term is sociopath, what is it exactly? (because i don't know exactly what it is,just heresay.)

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think i'm the exact opposite of sociopath, i have to much empathy and every sad story i take on board like it's my mission to write the wrong.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

But on topic, i think a psychopath can convert, as can anyone who is sick, mentaly, emotionaly and/or physicaly

Anastasia13

I think i'm the exact opposite of sociopath, i have to much empathy and every sad story i take on board like it's my mission to write the wrong.

Remind me not to abuse this. :sos: :cointoss: :deadhorse: :spidey: :sad2: :doh: :giveup: :notme: :beg: :flowers: :rip:

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Remind me not to abuse this. :sos: :cointoss: :deadhorse: :spidey: :sad2: :doh: :giveup: :notme: :beg: :flowers: :rip:

:) i was reading jesus words about cooking the night time meal for the master even after a hard days work in the fields as a duty even if the master unkindly says you can only eat after i have eaten. Is this verse about the works of the hands for money,food,shelter etc does not count for salvation,which somewhere in holy scripture i remember reading something like that to not mistake the work of our hands for money as part of salvation, just something we do to eat,have shelter etc,not that where not supposed to work. Or does this verse mean to do more for others than what is expected, which i really need work on , seems i only put in half a days work and expect the full reward.

Onward christian souls.

Jesus iz LORD.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

HisChildForever

That's still not a clinical diagnosis. 

Um, I never said it was. You asked for a clinical measure, and I gave it to you.

Um, I never said it was. You asked for a clinical measure, and I gave it to you.

I think that was beatitude, not me. "Psychopath" is still not a valid clinical diagnosis and the measure itself does not necessarily make the term a valid or useful one. There is too much "pop psychology" associated. 

Edited by EmilyAnn

HisChildForever

I think that was beatitude, not me. "Psychopath" is still not a valid clinical diagnosis and the measure itself does not necessarily make the term a valid or useful one. There is too much "pop psychology" associated. 

Psychopathy is a huge component of the forensic psychology field and countless hours have gone into its study and research, so please don't discount it as "pop psychology." Referring to it as such is actually an insult to those of us who have a proper understanding of it. Psychopathy is not officially recognized by the DSM but ASPD, one of the two factors of psychopathy, is a clinical diagnosis. There are individuals clinically diagnosed with ASPD who share other traits that just go above and beyond this diagnosis.

For anyone interested in learning about the PCL-R, you can check this out.

The test enables the clinician to determine an individual's PCL-R ratings on the basis of a semistructured interview and a review of collateral information. The assessment yields a dimensional total score, which can be used to help assess the degree to which an individual matches the prototypical psychopath or to help identify and diagnose psychopaths. Like the original test, the PCL-R: 2nd Edition also includes two primary dimensional factor scores that provide complete coverage of the domain of psychopathic traits and behaviors.

Building on this foundation, the interpretive power of the PCL-R test has been enriched in the 2nd Edition through the addition of two empirically derived and validated facets for each of the two primary factors. The new facet scores help pinpoint specific aspects of psychopathy, further increasing the tests' usefulness as part of the clinician's evaluation.

Scales Factor 1: The callous, selfish, remorseless use of others Facet 1a: Interpersonal Facet 1b: Affective Factor 2: A chronically unstable and antisocial lifestyle Facet 2a: Impulsive Lifestyle Facet 2b: Antisocial Behavior