An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns

Papist

Do Guns Save Lives?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think gun safety classes should be required, at least offered, in high school. They made me take sex ed in the 9th grade; gun safety would have been useful.

elizabeth09

I think gun safety classes should be required, at least offered, in high school. They made me take sex ed in the 9th grade; gun safety would have been useful.

Agree, because you just do not know when you need it.

The problem is how to avoid guns killing people.  I am not talking about criminals who will get guns no matter what.  I am talking about adults who leave guns out and kids shoot themselfs with it or while cleaning guns  they accidently shoot their kid or who accidently shoot their kid because they heard them downstairs and think they are a criminal.  Something needs to be done.  Way, way to many children die because of people with guns doing stupid things.  Do I advocate taking away guns?  No.  Do I advocate denying people their 2nd amendement right?  No.  Although something needs to be done to stop all their accidental deaths.  Maybe something like if your own a gun you are forced to do so many hours of gun saftey class and if you accidently kill someone or do something stupid like shot your kid while cleaning your gun right in front of him you should have your gun rights taken away.  I don't know exactly, but something needs to be done because there are way to many law abiding citizens doing absolutely stupid things with guns.

Force is clearly the answer. I wish you people would get the guts to do the violence yourselves.

way to many 

I'm more concerned about the violence you commit against the English language on a regular basis. 

havok579257

I'm more concerned about the violence you commit against the English language on a regular basis. 

how about act like an adult.

Edited by havok579257

havok579257

Force is clearly the answer. I wish you people would get the guts to do the violence yourselves.

you people... seriously.  not even worth the effort.

Edited by havok579257

you people... seriously.  not even worth the effort.

Typical supporter of mob rule. A vote is the most effort you'll expend in forcing your personal, fear-based views on people.

Anastasia13

That is unfortunate. I wonder how many people die because of the malfunction or misuse of common household items? From memory, I know that it's quite a high number. I don't think, though, that these numbers could necessarily be lowered purely through legislation.

Efforts to study gun safety have been hindered by the fear of anti-gun lobbying. There are ways to improve it, either in required handling, safety of the design, or conceivably legislation, but researchers need the chance to do solid gun research on this. Thus said the radio two months ago.

The solution is clearly to put the control in the hands of the reigning champions of mass shootings--the State. Great idea. What could possibly go wrong.

havok579257

Typical supporter of mob rule. A vote is the most effort you'll expend in forcing your personal, fear-based views on people.

this is what i love about the rabid pro gun nuts in america.  They read into stuff that is not there.  I said hey, lets try and fix the problems of people being stupid and shooting their own kids and mr. rabid gun nut here only hears "blah blah blah guns blah blah blah kids die.".  Oh my gosh I can't believe this guy wants to take away my guns.

Honestly winchester, talking with you is getting pointless.  You don't actually read what people write.  You either just mock or rant on about something you make up in your head.  Although if you ever want to have an honest discussion, best advice would be to read what I actually wrote in my first post in this topic.   

CatholicsAreKewl

hahahaha, DOWN BOYS. Gun rights advocates get really pissy when people talk about taking their guns away. It seems evident that our government was made with the idea that every citizen should be able to have a gun and form a private militia. To argue against guns is to argue against a basic right in America. This is why there is a defensive tone in some of the comments. 

However, I totally see your point, Havok. The overwhelming majority of people are good but not necessarily perfect. Accidents with firearms are deadly. Also, the increased rates of shootings at schools is alarming. Some believe a method of stopping violence is to arm everyone. However, I think those advocating this view should reconsider. Would the people who aimlessly shoot and stab their classmates at schools really be sane enough to be deterred by a room full of armed students? My university had a shooter on campus two years ago who ended up killing himself without harming anyone else. I can't imagine what might have happened had the university been full of armed kids searching for the suspect after getting a text from the university. However, I am still in favor of gun rights. Banning dangerous weapons like guns would necessitate a ban on knives as well. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

this is what i love about the rabid pro gun nuts in america.  They read into stuff that is not there.  I said hey, lets try and fix the problems of people being stupid and shooting their own kids and mr. rabid gun nut here only hears "blah blah blah guns blah blah blah kids die.".  Oh my gosh I can't believe this guy wants to take away my guns.

Honestly winchester, talking with you is getting pointless.  You don't actually read what people write.  You either just mock or rant on about something you make up in your head.  Although if you ever want to have an honest discussion, best advice would be to read what I actually wrote in my first post in this topic.   

I read what you wrote. Typical social engineering nonsense. You advocate aggression. I reject aggression. You consider that being a "rabid gun nut". There's nothing I can do about your religious veneration of safety through government action.

CatholicsAreKewl

I read what you wrote. Typical social engineering nonsense. You advocate aggression. I reject aggression. You consider that being a "rabid gun nut". There's nothing I can do about your religious veneration of safety through government action.

Wait, Winchester, shouldn't we be careful before we criticize certain stances as "social engineering"? Banning gay marriage could be labeled as social engineering as well. Daylight savings time is also considered social engineering by some....

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl