An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guns

Papist

Do Guns Save Lives?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't like this argument because it's arguable that guns also unjustly take lives. The only really sound argument is that A has no right to interfere in the peaceful actions undertaken by B. End of story. A owns A, B owns B. Then we're done. Every argument the gun controllers make is based on some concept of ownership of other people. The Social Contract bullshit is nothing but a claim that A has partial ownership of B.

let_go_let_God

I agree, a gun is a tool and the proper and trained use of one can result in saved lives only by seriously injuring or killing another. In the same vein it is still possible to be fully trained in the use of a weapon and still have an accident. Guns are tools. However based on this girls argument, there should be larger penalties for those who steal previously registered weapons and sell stolen weapons to criminals.

God bless-
LGLG

I don't like this argument because it's arguable that guns also unjustly take lives. The only really sound argument is that A has no right to interfere in the peaceful actions undertaken by B. End of story. A owns A, B owns B. Then we're done. Every argument the gun controllers make is based on some concept of ownership of other people. The Social Contract the essence of cow is nothing but a claim that A has partial ownership of B.

I am not attempting at an argument.  I see your point (I think).  The existence of guns do not save or lose life. Perhaps it better to ask the question as such, Can a gun save your and/or someone's life?  Which I think is lost in the whole gun control decisions.  Do the guns laws du jour inhibit citizens from preventing/stopping such events that the gun laws are trying to prevent?

Supposedly, a Japanese admiral once said we would never invade mainland US b/c there will be a gun behind every blade of grass. 

elizabeth09

People blame the gun, and not the car.  This is because they blame the drunk driver.  If someone attack us one day, and if we are not armed, they can and will take over.

Quid Est Veritas?

I agree with Papist and let_go_Let_God. A gun doesn't do anything. It's a tool (albeit a dangerous one), just like any other. It's made for killing animals and people, though. So, naturally, that's what it's used for.
I think that responsibly used guns can save lives and that people should own them and, more importantly know how to use them.

havok579257

The problem is how to avoid guns killing people.  I am not talking about criminals who will get guns no matter what.  I am talking about adults who leave guns out and kids shoot themselfs with it or while cleaning guns  they accidently shoot their kid or who accidently shoot their kid because they heard them downstairs and think they are a criminal.  Something needs to be done.  Way, way to many children die because of people with guns doing stupid things.  Do I advocate taking away guns?  No.  Do I advocate denying people their 2nd amendement right?  No.  Although something needs to be done to stop all their accidental deaths.  Maybe something like if your own a gun you are forced to do so many hours of gun saftey class and if you accidently kill someone or do something stupid like shot your kid while cleaning your gun right in front of him you should have your gun rights taken away.  I don't know exactly, but something needs to be done because there are way to many law abiding citizens doing absolutely stupid things with guns.

Quid Est Veritas?

I wouldn't mind seeing some stats on stupidity related gunshot wounds.
Most people I know who own or use guns are scrupulously careful with them. "Always treat a gun like it's loaded." is the general rule.
Why would anybody ever try to clean a loaded gun? It seems like an unnecessarily difficult operation.

havok579257

I wouldn't mind seeing some stats on stupidity related gunshot wounds.
Most people I know who own or use guns are scrupulously careful with them. "Always treat a gun like it's loaded." is the general rule.
Why would anybody ever try to clean a loaded gun? It seems like an unnecessarily difficult operation.

happened just recently in missouri.  a dad had his gun on the table and his litle child was right there and he accidently shot the child. 

Quid Est Veritas?

That is unfortunate. I wonder how many people die because of the malfunction or misuse of common household items? From memory, I know that it's quite a high number. I don't think, though, that these numbers could necessarily be lowered purely through legislation.

havok579257

That is unfortunate. I wonder how many people die because of the malfunction or misuse of common household items? From memory, I know that it's quite a high number. I don't think, though, that these numbers could necessarily be lowered purely through legislation.

how should we work to reduce the number?  I don't think just leaving it as the status quo is a good thing because children are dying from their own family members mistaking them for someone else or making a stupid mistake.