An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is A Protostant "church" A Real Church

dells_of_bittersweet

Religion_Binge

There is a psychological construct at play in this thread, I believe, as represented by Delivery Boy, and in many ways by myself.  It is TRUE that NO ONE was meaning to be racist or produce any type of hate speech.  AND, the discussion between Catholic and Orthodox baptism/sacrament differences has been totally illuminating!

But some individuals, myself particularly, are always thinking in terms of connectedness.  I am not a psychologist, but I have set in on some classes that acknowledge this dynamic.  Some people naturally understand instruction, direction, truths, statements or doctrines in terms of a connective whole.  It is a fantastic strength, and I think the Church (Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Religion world-wide) benefits from these people, because I think they are naturally disposed toward pointing out potential problems to inter-denominational/inter-faith dialogue.  BUT.  It is also a great weakness, or at least can be distracting, because sometimes the conversation is being compartmentalized.  As is probably the case here.  So again, I agree that I don't think anyone is in any way attempting to be racist.  Maybe no one is being racist.  

Even so, it IS true that there are many, many implications that can justifiably be acknowledged by someone who best understands doctrine by seeing how it plays out.  We could list many more than just whether or not this type of doctrine targets the Black American ethnic/social group. 

Anyway.  Awesome discussion.  It is humbling to see how we can all love the people of God and be such a diverse group of individuals.  I think if nothing else, this diversity of ideas keeps the Church accountable.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, The Lord, said to go into your room and pray didn't He?

Read about the Desert Fathers and Saints who didn't attend Mass.

I go to protestant church on Sundays. My priest knows. I can't stand the majority of catholics on Sundays.

I'd like to be a Stylite monk.

KnightofChrist

I go to protestant church on Sundays. My priest knows. I can't stand the majority of catholics on Sundays.

yIDoghQo'

Quid Est Veritas?

I was just trying to understand the context of your comment, but I will be happy to pray for you.
I think I'm still a little confused, though. Are you saying that a full spiritual life can be lived in complete solitude?

The reception of the Eucharist is very important in the lives of the Desert Fathers of Egypt, and there are even texts that speak of the monks going out of their way to receive daily. Although that was not the norm. Nevertheless, reception of communion was highly emphasized in Egyptian monastic life. In Syria the emphasis is different, but reception of the Eucharist is not absent among the Syrian Fathers. Moreover, in the Syrian hagiography the monks are often held to be spiritually present in the worship of the Church and receive a sort of spiritual communion even when they do not receive sacramentally. Another thing to note is that - like in many of the martyrologies of the earliest centuries of the Christian era - the monks are often portrayed as themselves being a kind of Eucharistic offering, that is, by their sacrifices they take on a Eucharistic nature, so much so that they are sometimes describe - again like the martyrs - in terms reminiscent of the Eucharist. And finally, especially in the Egyptian texts on the monks the frequent reception of communion is encouraged and seen as a safeguard against evil forces that might deceive the monk when he is alone in his cell. The monks often relate this wisdom - i.e., about the frequent reception of communion - to the lay people who come to them for spiritual advice. There is even a story about Abba Daniel and his conversations with a monk who denied that the Eucharist was anything exceptional, saying that it was just a symbol of Christ, and even though the monk was reproved by Abba Daniel he simply said that he would not alter his opinion unless the Eucharist itself proved him wrong. His brothers prayed for him and that Sunday when they gathered as usual for the divine liturgy the Eucharistic elements presented themselves as a small child. An angel came and divided up the child placing the pieces in the chalice, and when the brothers received they saw only the appearances of the bread and wine, but the unbelieving monk was presented with a piece of bloody flesh. Upon seeing this he cried out in anguish and said, "Lord, I believe that this bread is your flesh and this chalice your blood," and only then did the consecrated species take on the outward appearance of bread and wine and the monk received in faith, forever cured of his error.

Edited by Apotheoun