An Old School Catholic Message Board

Scott Hahn

Livin_the_MASS

Do you think Scott Hahn is a prophet in our times?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ilovechrist

[quote name='rose' date='Jun 17 2004, 11:18 PM'] "i dont know lets eat cheesecake" was the closest to he is my neighbor so i cant really say :rolling: . rome sweet home is a great book tho [/quote]
hey rose!

lol that's something i miss a lot--eating dinner with the hahn's...

scott hahn rocks socks!

• 5 years later...
rhetoricfemme

I'm just about to finish Rome Sweet Home, which I absolutely love. I equate the cheesecake option with, "He could be a prophet but I couldn't tell ya."

For Scott Hahn to be a prophet, he'd have to be bringing prophecy to us.

A line from the Catholic Encyclopedia on "Prophecy" states;

[quote]
Understood in its strict sense, it means the foreknowledge of future events, though it may sometimes apply to past events of which there is no memory, and to present hidden things which cannot be known by the natural light of reason.
[/quote]

Scott Hahn, although a good writer and speaker, isn't bringing us new revelation or things that the Church doesn't already believe. Rather, he's presenting the already revealed truths in a language more easily understood by the average American Catholic.

I did enjoy reading "The Lambs Supper," while on retreat a few years ago.

Jim

Edited by JimR-OCDS

I thought that it's generally accepted that John was the last of what are officially "prophets".

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='19 January 2010 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1263927652' post='2040215']
I thought that it's generally accepted that John was the last of what are officially "prophets".
[/quote]

I'm flattered, but I usually spell my name without an "h".

cmotherofpirl

Yes, St John was. But people can point out God in our times - John Paul the Great, Mother Teresa, Archbishop Sheen, Father Corapi, Dorothy Day.

Scott Hahn was one of the first theologians of our time that I started reading. He really is great and approachable with an ability to connect dots in scripture and across centuries back to the writings of the Fathers. I voted no because I don't consider him prophetic as much as intelligent and in touch with tradition.

Hahn is right up there, but I think I like Sheen and Ratzinger better. The Christology Pope Benedict elucidated form the Sermon on the Mount in 'Jesus of Nazareth' was stunning.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='19 January 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1263938188' post='2040316']
I'm flattered, but I usually spell my name without an "h".
[/quote]
Of course, my mistake. ;)

KeenanParkerII

Scott Hahn is amazing, not least of all because he is a convert and communicates so well with people from a protestant background.

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='reyb' date='21 January 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1264121828' post='2041913']
Is he (Scott Hahn) a phatmasser?
[/quote]
Perhaps he should be made an honorary phatmasser and sent a message about it. :)

What are other folks' favorite writings by him? Or lectures? I'm wanting to keep him high on my reading list right now.

Well... Scott Hahn is a prophet, but no more a prophet then all of us. All baptized are baptized into the roll of priest, prophet, and king.

Read John Paul II's [i]Christefideles Laici[/i] On Christ's Faithful Laity.

Thy Geekdom Come

Dr. Hahn is actually a better communicator than a theologian. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good theologian, but what he's really known for is being able to explain the faith.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

He communicates the truth well...but prohpet. I would go with No. I have read some Scott Hahn but ultimately hasn't come up with anything terribly new. Perhaps I need to read more of his books to get a better understanding of any of his new ideas (a fact which I am open to). However, currently I would put him as far as substance is concerned far behind the Church Fathers, St. Anselm, St. Thomas Aquinas, Karl Rahner, Andre Delubac, and Aristotle and Plato. Good communicator yes...terribly original no. Now that is not a bad thing. Simply accurately communicating the tradition is vastly important but synthesizing ideas and pushing them is really what I look for if I am going to call someone "the prophet of our times".