An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Obligation To Report Abuse?

Roamin Catholic

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I am a mentor for at-risk elementary aged kids, and I had to report something that my kid had told me that sounded alarming. The way a child speaks is very different from how an adolescent, teenager, and young adult speak. The way my kid told me was very vague, and I didn't know if the abuse was ongoing, just started, or was even happening at all. For the safety of my kid I had to report it.

I'm referring directly to children in this case, but the way abuse is reported is dependent on the situation. For all the other situations, I agree with Franciscanheart and Aloysius on that one.

Absolutely. But I think the bigger question is this: If you've no professional obligation to report, is there still a moral obligation. Your answer is yes, as is mine. It would seem, though, that others disagree. 
 This is probably an awful thing to ask, but how do you know the abused doesn't lie about making the report, simply so you won't. Often after the abused admits the abuse, they become afraid of the consequence of speaking. A lot of times that's because of threats made by their abuser, but sometimes they worry all on their own.

I would say "I am reporting this at XX:XX, if you would like to be the first person to report this, then you need to do it before that time." I would not let that time be more than 24hrs from the moment I heard about it, which would give myself the same time constraints that a mandatory reporter has.

If they call and tell you they reported it, great. Call in to report anyways at the time you specified.

Now, in a very general and broad sense, I don't think we have any sort of intrinsic obligation to report to governmental authorities based on circumstances. This would include things like current government laws that may significantly chagne the circumstances (is it a tyrannical government that would use capital punishment without a fair trial?). I don't think this applies to the United States today, but I'm not familiar with other countries. Even in those circumstances though, I do think we have a moral obligation to seek help for the individual according to our means and resources.

While it is true that nothing can be done to stop abuse if the victim will not speak, there is at least a paper trail being formed that if this child were to ever speak up, there is past evidence to support further claims.

It also gives local authorities something to work with if similar allegations against the same perpetrator arose. It's also posible that the victim that refused to speak at the time will be willing to speak at a later date, especially upon hearing there may be other allegations and others that will remain at risk if the victim keeps silent.

Anastasia13

1. Encourage them to report it.

If this fails:

2.Drag their butt to the police station.

If this fails:

3. Report it your self.

I think it is best if the person closest to the crime reports it. They have the most information on it.

Edited by Light and Truth

It is not a form of kindness to allow a minor child to remain in an abusive situation until he has to courage to report the crime to the authorities. The victim of the abuse may never gain the courage report what is happening to the proper authorities, and to allow him to remain in a potentially dangerous situation is never right or just.

props.

tinytherese

When I was hospitalized for depression, we had group sessions with a social worker to talk. I said something vague about my home life that hinted at sexual abuse and that same day, the social worker asked to speak to me alone. I confided in her and then she said that she needed to call my mom to tell her. (I was 20 and a college student.)

I went with social worker to her office and she was there when I called my mom. Afterwards, the social worker asked if I wanted to tell my mom myself or if she wanted me to do it. If I couldn't do it, then she would tell my mom in front of me. If I would do it myself, I'd confess in front of the therapist who would stay to talk with my mom. I think that this is how it should be done.

By the way, I chose to tell my mom because the social worker said that if I did it myself that it would help me in the healing process. I think of it like jumping into water. Just do it really quickly without thinking about the process or possibilities of what could happen. The social worker didn't guilt trip me or force me to do it. She emphasized that it was my choice and that if I didn't want to, that she would do it.

The social worker and or the psychiatrist I was seeing during that hospital stay made the report over the phone.

Everything that has been going on in the phorum has me thinking (scary!) 

If someone tells us of abuse that is happening to them/might still be happening. Or if we discover the abuse are we under a moral obligation to report the abuse to the proper authorities? 

Yes.

fides' Jack

I think it's impossible to answer the question thoroughly without knowing what the nature of the abuse is.  "Abuse" covers a very wide spectrum of verbal, physical, sexual, emotional, spiritual, and psychological goings on.

In fact, I would hesitate taking any action or even giving anyone advice outside of "go talk to a priest asap", or simply praying for the person, without knowing more than just the word "abuse".

We need more vigilantes and less Church cover-ups.

Fewer.

PhuturePriest

As someone who has been in this situation, I feel like I can answer this. :P

Part of me wishes I was given the chance to report it myself. I'm a person that likes doing big things like this myself, and I didn't like that someone had reported it for me. That being said, when it was, I wasn't angry; I simply didn't have time to be angry. I was too busy being scared out of my mind. As franciscanheart says, you become afraid of the consequences of speaking after you have finally spoken out. You become afraid of what people will think of you, what will happen to you, and you even become afraid of what will happen to your abuser (At least in my case). So, I would say the right thing was done, even though I wish the person told me first, telling me to report it then or they would do it for me.

My advice would be this: If someone comes up to you telling them they were abused and that the abuser is still around, tell them they have a day to report it, and if not, you will do it for them. Unless, of course, they had just been abused recently. In that case, take them with you to report it kicking and screaming, or just do it yourself. Reporting it is a phone call away.

• 3 weeks later...
CatholicsAreKewl

Everything that has been going on in the phorum has me thinking (scary!) 

If someone tells us of abuse that is happening to them/might still be happening. Or if we discover the abuse are we under a moral obligation to report the abuse to the proper authorities? 

I'm not only talking about minors; I'm also speaking of the disabled and elderly. 

You mean sexual? Of course! I think Catholics in the past have had a shady past with reporting this sort of stuff. A priest from my school who was known to meddle in this sort of thing for 20 + years, even by the staff of the school, has been relocated after someone came out and spoke. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Absolutely. But I think the bigger question is this: If you've no professional obligation to report, is there still a moral obligation. Your answer is yes, as is mine. It would seem, though, that others disagree. 
 This is probably an awful thing to ask, but how do you know the abused doesn't lie about making the report, simply so you won't. Often after the abused admits the abuse, they become afraid of the consequence of speaking. A lot of times that's because of threats made by their abuser, but sometimes they worry all on their own.

So, following the above highlighted point you made, how do you know the abused has not lied about the abuse?

I would say if one had first hand concrete knowledge they would have to act upon it, but if they feel that whomever they are speaking with is a liar, or that they are capable of lying about reoprting the abuse they allegedly suffered, would not that call in to play concern for the reputation of the accused?

C.C.C. 2475 Christ's disciples have "put on the new man, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness" By "putting away falshood" they are to "put away all malice and all guile and insincerity and envy and all slander" 

2477 Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude abd word likely to cause them unjust injury, He becomes guilty:

- of rash judgement who, even tacitly, assumes as true, the moral fault of a neighbor;

- of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another's faults and failings to persons who did not know them,

- of calumny who, by remarks contrary to the truth, harms the reputation of others and gives occasion for false judgements concerning them.  

It would seem to me if that if there were sufficient cause to feel the accuser might actually lie about reporting the incident that would bring into question their truthfullness about the incident itself. I know that in court cases that the patterns of dishonesty of accusers are brought to the attention of the court.

ed

CatholicsAreKewl

So, following the above highlighted point you made, how do you know the abused has not lied about the abuse?

Sorry, but isn't this the same logic used by those who did not report priests and others who ended up being molesters? True, the reputation of the person will suffer but if the investigation finds nothing on him, then the accuser faces the ultimate loss, not the accused. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

TheLordsSouljah

I am all for reporting. But what if someone EXPLICITLY asks that you NOT report? I know it would differ from situation to situation, but generally, what is right? What if they make you promise?

CatholicsAreKewl

I am all for reporting. But what if someone EXPLICITLY asks that you NOT report? I know it would differ from situation to situation, but generally, what is right? What if they make you promise?

What if they make you pinky promise?
No, I think it's still necessary to report it. It's the reason why people end up reporting cases 20 years after they happen and nothing gets done about it.