An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Obligation To Report Abuse?

Roamin Catholic

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Even a young person? A young person comes to you and says, "I've been raped." You sit on it and encourage THEM to have to say it AGAIN to someone who can actually HELP? Seriously?

:ohno: Society is broken.

Exactly. :/

homeschoolmom

Even a young person? A young person comes to you and says, "I've been raped." You sit on it and encourage THEM to have to say it AGAIN to someone who can actually HELP? Seriously?

Oh goodness no. I would finish out talk and call the authorities.

They will have to say it if you report it anyway. Isn't it kinder to give them a chance to do it themselves, but of course be there for them as well? 

My opinion is very coloured by my own experiences. 

Edited by EmilyAnn

franciscanheart

They will have to say it if you report it anyway. Isn't it kinder to give them a chance to do it themselves, but of course be there for them as well? 

My opinion is very coloured by my own experiences.

So again I'll throw the question back at you: how long is considered "kind" to give them a chance to report it themselves? How long do you wait once a young person has said "I was raped" to allow them to feel strength enough to go to authorities?

We absolutely have an obligation. 100%, no question about it. We do.

I agree. Moreover, based upon a person's profession he may also be legally required to report abuse.

So again I'll throw the question back at you: how long is considered "kind" to give them a chance to report it themselves? How long do you wait once a young person has said "I was raped" to allow them to feel strength enough to go to authorities?

I would say either they do it that day or I would. 

franciscanheart

I agree. Moreover, based upon a person's profession he may also be legally required to report abuse.

Absolutely. But I think the bigger question is this: If you've no professional obligation to report, is there still a moral obligation. Your answer is yes, as is mine. It would seem, though, that others disagree. 

I would say either they do it that day or I would.

This is probably an awful thing to ask, but how do you know the abused doesn't lie about making the report, simply so you won't. Often after the abused admits the abuse, they become afraid of the consequence of speaking. A lot of times that's because of threats made by their abuser, but sometimes they worry all on their own.

It is not a form of kindness to allow a minor child to remain in an abusive situation until he has to courage to report the crime to the authorities. The victim of the abuse may never gain the courage report what is happening to the proper authorities, and to allow him to remain in a potentially dangerous situation is never right or just.

Autumn Dusk

Report.  People make too many excuses to not do things these days...to many what if's.  There's no time for that....lives can be destroyed while people wait to see.

This is probably an awful thing to ask, but how do you know the abused doesn't lie about making the report, simply so you won't. Often after the abused admits the abuse, they become afraid of the consequence of speaking. A lot of times that's because of threats made by their abuser, but sometimes they worry all on their own.

That is very true. If it were within my ability, I would try and be with them. 

I'm just very aware of how third-party reporting can be ignored. My mom is a girl scout leader and she suspected one of her girls was being abused (she had a lot of odd bruises and when asked said she wasn't allowed to talk about it). She reported it, but without the girl coming forward there was very little they could do. 

. . . is there still a moral obligation. Your answer is yes, as is mine. It would seem, though, that others disagree.

The story of Cain and Abel in the Church's exegetical tradition makes it clear that we all are our brother's keeper.

let_go_let_God

Absolutely. But I think the bigger question is this: If you've no professional obligation to report, is there still a moral obligation. Your answer is yes, as is mine. It would seem, though, that others disagree. 

Precisely, however it is good to remember that if someone comes to you that trusts you with something of this nature, they are asking for help.

I'm just very aware of how third-party reporting can be ignored. My mom is a girl scout leader and she suspected one of her girls was being abused (she had a lot of odd bruises and when asked said she wasn't allowed to talk about it). She reported it, but without the girl coming forward there was very little they could do. 

While it is true that nothing can be done to stop abuse if the victim will not speak, there is at least a paper trail being formed that if this child were to ever speak up, there is past evidence to support further claims.

God bless-

LGLG

franciscanheart

I'd rather report and know I did what I was supposed to than to assume the report would go unheard or unsubstantiated.

To Jesus Through Mary

The reality is that the victim very very rarely has the strength and courage to report abuse. They have been groomed and conditioned for years most of the time to keep silent. There is a TON of guilt and shame that often accompany abuse. The odds of them getting a sudden burst of courage at the threat of someone else (and that is how they will likely view it, as a threat) is slim to nil. Those who are stronger, must stand up for those who are vulnerable. It is not just the Catholic thing to do, it is the human thing to do.