An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moral Obligation To Report Abuse?

Roamin Catholic

Roamin Catholic

Everything that has been going on in the phorum has me thinking (scary!) 

If someone tells us of abuse that is happening to them/might still be happening. Or if we discover the abuse are we under a moral obligation to report the abuse to the proper authorities? 

I'm not only talking about minors; I'm also speaking of the disabled and elderly. 

Roamin Catholic

As Catholic's we speak about being a voice for the voiceless. So I lean towards saying that we are under a moral obligation to report the abuse.

franciscanheart

I think we have a moral obligation to seek an end to the abuse.

That's vague. So is that a "yes, we should notify proper authorities" or does that mean "we should pray it stops"? Something in-between?

I agree we have a moral obligation to see that it is reported, but I would say we should encourage the person to report it themselves before we take it upon ourselves to do so.

Roamin Catholic

I agree we have a moral obligation to see that it is reported, but I would say we should encourage the person to report it themselves before we take it upon ourselves to do so.

Lets say we are under a suspicion that the abuse is ongoing. What would be a proper time frame? 

In my mind, I give someone 24 hours and then I'm doing everything I can to get them out. Be it Minor, elderly, or disabled. 

Lets say we are under a suspicion that the abuse is ongoing. What would be a proper time frame? 

In my mind, I give someone 24 hours and then I'm doing everything I can to get them out. Be it Minor, elderly, or disabled. 

If it is ongoing, then I would agree with you. I would also do everything I could to support them with reporting it themselves. 

franciscanheart

If this person comes to you and says the abuse has happened for years, do you wait? If so, how long? It's my strong opinion that you do not wait.

If it is ongoing, then I would agree with you. I would also do everything I could to support them with reporting it themselves.

Again, how long do you wait for them to report it before you step up and say something? Does it make a difference if it's an elderly or youth?

Do not you think that person going to you IS them reporting it? Don't you think they come to you for HELP? What is help if not allowing someone with the ability to create change to step in and do that?

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Something was going on with a friend of mine, and had been for some time, and I really wanted her to be the one to talk to the appropriate people. I did not want to have to do it for her. I ended up giving her an ultimatum and she finally got the courage to speak up. I told her I had a moral obligation (and so did she) to tell of these incidents, not only for her, but for potential future victims. She finally got the courage to say something, and thank goodness I didn't have to do it for her, because it was coming down to that.

I completely believe that there is a moral obligation not only for the sake of the victim in question, but also for the safety of others (and sometimes even yourself).

I think if it was someone I knew closely and that person told me that they wanted to report it themself  I'd probably say something like "okay, you do it on your terms sometime this week, but if you don't I will report it for you", giving a deadline/ultimatum is essential if you're going to give them time, because I get was franciscan's saying, basically "allowing them to report it themselves" can easily turn into being complicit in their shame and silence that causes it not to get reported at all; but I'd only give them that time if I didn't believe they'd be in immediate danger of the abuse repeating during it.

if it was not someone I knew too closely, or if I thought the abuse was still an immediate danger, or if I really didn't think that the person was going to report it themself, I'd contact the authorities immediately.  you absolutely have a moral obligation to help someone in that way, I think.  to do any less is to be a part of pressuring them into silence, I think, and especially if the abuse is continuous and remains an immediate danger to them, not speaking up and alerting the authorities is a failure to protect someone in need I think.

franciscanheart

I think if it was someone I knew closely and that person told me that they wanted to report it themself  I'd probably say something like "okay, you do it on your terms sometime this week, but if you don't I will report it for you", giving a deadline/ultimatum is essential if you're going to give them time, because I get was franciscan's saying, basically "allowing them to report it themselves" can easily turn into being complicit in their shame and silence that causes it not to get reported at all; but I'd only give them that time if I didn't believe they'd be in immediate danger of the abuse repeating during it.

if it was not someone I knew too closely, or if I thought the abuse was still an immediate danger, or if I really didn't think that the person was going to report it themself, I'd contact the authorities immediately.  you absolutely have a moral obligation to help someone in that way, I think.  to do any less is to be a part of pressuring them into silence, I think, and especially if the abuse is continuous and remains an immediate danger to them, not speaking up and alerting the authorities is a failure to protect someone in need I think.

This. Absolutely.

If this person comes to you and says the abuse has happened for years, do you wait? If so, how long? It's my strong opinion that you do not wait.
 Again, how long do you wait for them to report it before you step up and say something? Does it make a difference if it's an elderly or youth?

Do not you think that person going to you IS them reporting it? Don't you think they come to you for HELP? What is help if not allowing someone with the ability to create change to step in and do that?

What Alyosius said.

homeschoolmom

This is more along the lines of my thinking.

franciscanheart

Even a young person? A young person comes to you and says, "I've been raped." You sit on it and encourage THEM to have to say it AGAIN to someone who can actually HELP? Seriously?

:ohno: Society is broken.