An Old School Catholic Message Board

Disappointed In Lack Of Respect For Americans Warriors

Knot Wize

PhuturePriest

But you would get killed there for flying the flag of a foreign country if the government did not agree with it.   SImple respect for the country that protects  you.

I fire off explosives on the Fourth of July, I read American history, and I take part in the American legal system. Why do I have to fly a flag in order to respect the Country that protects me? I have no political or patriotic ties here. If the government decides to ship all the Catholics to England, I'll say good riddance. America is the country I live in, not the thing I live and die for.

There's nothing wrong with flying the Vatican flag to proudly show off your Catholicism. I'm a Catholic living in America. Not an American that is Catholic.

The Vatican is a country, not just the Roman Catholic Church.   Nothing is wrong with proclaiming your faith.

But you would get killed there for flying the flag of a foreign country if the government did not agree with it.   SImple respect for the country that protects  you.

It's also the country that slaughtered unarmed women and children at Wounded Knee, threw Japanese into internment camps, and executed a woman holding a baby because her husband cut a shotgun barrel below the magical length approved by the Feds.

It's the country that will commit assault and battery and kidnapping if someone carries a scary switchblade.

That's what the flag means to some people. Funny thing about symbols.

I fire off explosives on the Fourth of July, I read American history, and I take part in the American legal system. Why do I have to fly a flag in order to respect the Country that protects me? I have no political or patriotic ties here. If the government decides to ship all the Catholics to England, I'll say good riddance. America is the country I live in, not the thing I live and die for.

To bad you didn't learn anything reading American history. At least realize that there are ones who died for  your right to feel that way.  If not, you would be speaking German or Japanese right now.

Edited by Knot Wize

PhuturePriest

The Vatican is a country, not just the Roman Catholic Church.   Nothing is wrong with proclaiming your faith.

And? Whose business is it if I pledge allegiance to the Vatican and not to America? Besides, the Vatican flag is mostly for representing the Church, not the country itself, if it can really be called a country.

PhuturePriest

At least realize that there are ones who died for  your right to feel that way.  If not, you would be speaking German right now.

First off, I'm 80% German, so speaking German isn't foreign to my bloodline. Secondly, flying a flag is not for respecting soldiers. Flying the American flag is symbolic to who your allegiance goes to. My allegiance goes to the Church and the Pope, not Uncle Sam and the FBI.

And? Whose business is it if I pledge allegiance to the Vatican and not to America? Besides, the Vatican flag is mostly for representing the Church, not the country itself, if it can really be called a country.

Don't like it... Canada and Mexico are only a day or two away.  Nothing is forcing you to stay here.

The flag means many things, to me. I stand for the pledge and the anthem because of what it means to others, and those others are very important, to me.

Don't like it... Canada and Mexico are only a day or two away.  Nothing is forcing you to stay here.

That's certainly what the Founders did.

PhuturePriest

Since when is it law that I must have an American flag? My full-hearted allegiance is not to America. Why is that a problem? Nowhere does it say even in American law that you must live and die for America and demonstrate it by flying an American flag on your property, and that if you must have a Vatican flag, the American flag must be higher.

Lilllabettt

According to the Catechism, patriotism is a virtue.

I love my country and I think having an external litmus test for that (e.g., flying a flag)  cheapens the idea altogether.

PhuturePriest

America is dandy and all. I like living here rather than Pakistan. That doesn't mean I'm going to fly the American flag and pledge my life to America and its causes.