An Old School Catholic Message Board

Disappointed In Lack Of Respect For Americans Warriors

Knot Wize

And if you were in another country you could get shot if you tried to fly a foreign flag.  The American flag stands for the right to exercise their freedom of speech AND religion.  That is why churches have both flags, respsect for the rights this country entitles them to and the people who died to give them that right. 

It's called simple respect.

So?

That's what the flag means, to you. It might represent something entirely different to others. Get over it.

PhuturePriest

And if you were in another country you could get shot if you tried to fly a foreign flag.  The American flag stands for the right to exercise their freedom of speech AND religion.  That is why churches have both flags, respsect for the rights this country entitles them to and the people who died to give them that right. 

I think you may be overreacting. Yes, it's nice when people have the American flag -- if they want to use it. But nowhere do you see it required by the Church to use the flag of your country or to even openly support your country. We are Catholic first. Period. Everything else goes after that. If you want to use the American flag, that's perfectly acceptable. But I'm a Church before Country type of guy, and I will honestly probably forgo the American flag when I am an old fogie with a family like Jason, and I will probably have a Vatican flag flying instead. If we have both, the Vatican flag will be flying above the American one.

Nihil Obstat

And if you were in another country you could get shot if you tried to fly a foreign flag. The American flag stands for the right to exercise their freedom of speech AND religion. That is why churches have both flags, respsect for the rights this country entitles them to and the people who died to give them that right.

How does this morally compel someone to fly your flag?
Also I can name at least a dozen countries in which I can display whatever flag I want without getting shot. The USA does not have a monopoly on freedom. Lol.

Oh, and the flag code isn't law. You can't use violence to compel people to fly the flag. Tough shyte.

Sorry, but the flag code IS law, that what US CODE means..

PhuturePriest

What are they gonna do, shoot us for flying the Vatican flag and not the American one? I fear that may be contradictory to the American theory of freedom.

How does this morally compel someone to fly your flag?
Also I can name at least a dozen countries in which I can display whatever flag I want without getting shot. The USA does not have a monopoly on freedom. Lol.

Let's try Palestine?

PhuturePriest

Let's try Palestine?

So you're going to use an extreme case to prove your point? If Palestine doesn't want people to fly the American flag, that's Palestine's business.

Nihil Obstat

So you're going to use an extreme case to prove your point? If Palestine doesn't want people to fly the American flag, that's Palestine's business.

Well, it really is not their business, but that is neither here nor there.

Yes, you are correct that it is a "law", but there is no violence to back it up. Nor should there be. There's plenty of murder and assault committed in the name of Federal Law, already. Just be happy with the present amount.

Also I fail to see any substantive connection between flying or not flying the flag, and the military.

The flag represents the country and the Constitution for which they die for.   If they want to be citizens of the Vatican, so be it and move.

PhuturePriest

Well, it really is not their business, but that is neither here nor there.

Then where the hell is it?

Yes, you are correct that it is a "law", but there is no violence to back it up. Nor should there be. There's plenty of murder and assault committed in the name of Federal Law, already. Just be happy with the present amount.

It is interesting that you suggest violence.. nothing here suggests it.

PhuturePriest

The flag represents the country and the Constitution for which they die for.   If they want to be citizens of the Vatican, so be it and move.

There's nothing wrong with flying the Vatican flag to proudly show off your Catholicism. I'm a Catholic living in America. Not an American that is Catholic.

But you would get killed there for flying the flag of a foreign country if the government did not agree with it.   SImple respect for the country that protects  you.

It is interesting that you suggest violence.. nothing here suggests it.

Are you denying that the Federal government employs violence?

The question was put to you whether people should be "compelled" to follow the code. You didn't say "no". How the Hell are you planning on "compelling" people?