An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Spread Of Americanism

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

I honestly think it's a tragedy. Beautiful cultures like Japan are being washed away by American culture, and that's pretty depressing. I don't see why rich cultures want to be like America.

I honestly think it's a tragedy. Beautiful cultures like Japan are being washed away by American culture, and that's pretty depressing. I don't see why rich cultures want to be like America.

You should look into the book "Crazy Like Us" by Ethan Watters. It's about the globalization of Americans social, medical and psychological norms. One of the most fascinating books I've read in the last few years.

PhuturePriest

That being said, Japan is not a culture, and neither is America.

Technically speaking, no. America and Japan are countries. But they do have cultures. And I'll read the book. Sounds really interesting.

Technically speaking, no. America and Japan are countries. But they do have cultures. And I'll read the book. Sounds really interesting.

It's awesome. Look up the article he wrote on the subject for the NY Times if you want a lengthy preamble before shelling out the $10 or so for the actual book.

As someone who spent two years of his life in Japan it's important to understand that "Americanization" as far as the Japanese are concerned is actually a revenge tactic for World War II.  If Pearl Harbor didn't work, then they'll try to beat the Americans at their own game: capitalism.  And if all else fails, they'll just invent robots to take over the world for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4WbjV1Jmo

This does not surprise me in the least.  As a matter of fact, this is why Japanese capitalism is doomed and robots will soon be our new overlords.

Edited by r2Dtoo

No. Some things last.

Diego_Vel%C3%A1zquez_012.jpg

I don't know you, but your humorless, stick-in-the-mud response to the previous post means I'm likely going to enjoy torturing you in the near future.

Evangetholic

I don't know you, but your humorless, stick-in-the-mud response to the previous post means I'm likely going to enjoy torturing you in the near future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg

Nihil Obstat

This does not surprise me in the least.  As a matter of fact, this is why Japanese capitalism is doomed and robots will soon be our new overlords.

Because they have a bad case of diarrhea?

Because they have a bad case of diarrhea?

No because nobody wants to see that much clothing on girls when they dance to a song about diarrhea, obviously.

Edited by r2Dtoo

Nihil Obstat

No, because nobody wants to see that much clothing on girls when they dance to a song about diarrhea.

look-of-disapproval-lol-wut-azr3LO.jpg

No, because nobody wants to see that much clothing on girls when they dance to a song about diarrhea.

look-of-disapproval-lol-wut-azr3LO.jpg

beaver dam, I knew that punch I gave to your face last week hit you hard, but you STILL look like this?

Pffft, Canadians are wussies.