An Old School Catholic Message Board

Applause During Mass

ToJesusMyHeart

OnlySunshine

My parish has this happen on occasion.  One instance was the associate pastor returning from a trip.  My pastor didn't specifically ask for applause but the congregation broke out in applause.  I, however, did not, even though I was in the front row.  I did, however, smile because I missed him but I don't like clapping in Church.

Even though my parish has its flaws (what parish doesn't?), I would never leave over this.  I would only leave if something really serious happened.  I love my parish very much.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, applause during Mass.  It happens sometimes.  Last night at my parish here in Korea,  we applauded the Sr. who had served at the parish and is now being transfered somewhere else. It's not uncommon for volunteers etc. to be called up by name right before the final blessing and dismissal to be thanked, applauded etc for their service.

I was in Rome for Pope Benedict's final Mass in St Peter's...well, there was about 5 mins of applause after a speech given by a cardinal to thank the Holy Father. I am 100% certain that this was a surprise and not a super welcome one for our former pope. I really felt for BXVI at that moment...he looked so uncomfortable at first.  However, in the end he broke out in his gentle smile, and in a few moments led us back to the final prayers of the Mass.

Honestly, it is not ideal, but try not to get too worked up over it.  People want to show love and to appreciate others.  Yes, maybe we shouldn't do it at Mass, but in my experience, it is usually done right before the final blessing and dismissal...which means there is a practical reason for it, i.e., it is really the only time to catch people together, since everyone leaves after the recessional hymn, and the pastor is out de-vesting afterwards.  

I guess we should all account ourselves unprofitable servants who deserve no praise for doing what we should...but the reality is that everyone likes to be appreciated and to show appreciation, and applause of the group is an expression of that.  So, even though I cringe, and often don't clap myself, I avoid getting worked up about it, especially after seeing BXVI's reaction in St. Peter's.  

I know your local catechist is not the same as the pope, but humans are the same...so try flipping it around in your mind: it is not so much the person being applauded gaining glory and acclaim, but an opportunity for others to show caring and appreciation, at the moment when it seems most practically opportune, namely while the pastor is still present and before everyone stampedes out the door.

If pastors could only get the greater majority of worshipers to arrive on time, they might be able to do that kind of thing BEFORE Mass starts...but then there would likely be people complaining about how it interferred with their preparation for Holy Mass...

Try not let this common practice disturb you, and complaining will get you nowhere...forget about it, you won't stop it, it has the potential to bore a little hole in your heart...cultivate a peaceful equinamity...

AND/OR, how about this: volunteer to be the one responsible for recognition of service, so you could have some control over when and how it takes place?  

Happened in Mass yesterday. People think I am a poo poo head, especially after I restrained and instructed my children not to clap.

Who cares if people applause, it's what's inside the heart that counts. I mean c'mon, it's not like a dogma is being violated!

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

My parish applauded our associate pastor at mass about a few months ago for returning healthy back to ministry after a while in the hospital and health leave. He spoke at the end before the blessing, thanking us for our prayers and support during his six bypasses and open heart surgery. He credits his return to ministry after only 4 weeks of recovery to our spiritual and prayerful help. In a way, I felt like this applause was appropriate for the appreciation of good health of a servant, but I can see the other opinions of whether or not it was appropriate.