An Old School Catholic Message Board

Applause During Mass

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

I put this here because I seem to think it might cause drama, but it really doesn't need to. I just need some clarification.

Is it liturgically proper to have applause during Mass, or is this considered a form of liturgical abuse?

I was at a retreat this past weekend, and at the last day of the retreat, during Mass (before the closing blessing and song), the priest had the congregation applaud 14 separate times in a row, as he was recognizing different people who helped with the retreat.

I have no problem whatsoever with thanking and clapping for people who put a retreat together, but I don't see why we can't save such recognitions for after the closing prayer and after the end of Mass.

So the question seems simple enough to me but maybe it's not: Is it liturgical abuse to have the congregation (and the priest) applaud during Mass? (nobody was ordained a priest or anything)

Obviously it bothers me or else I wouldn't be asking. It just seems like we are disrespecting the Eucharist and the holiness of the Mass by doing so. Like nails on a chalkboard. 

And then there's this: 

PopeBenedictOnClapping.jpg

PhuturePriest

I asked a Priest about this once (Or someone did and I saw it, anyway). He said that it is completely inappropriate and nowhere will you see something from the Church allowing applause during Mass. It's the Sacrifice of the Mass. Key word underlined.

Nihil Obstat

Applause should not happen during Mass.

My personal preference is that applause should not happen within the church proper, but since that is simply my own preference, if it happens outside of the context of Mass then I get over it.

ToJesusMyHeart

Thank you for your replies. I agree; it shouldn't happen during Mass (or in the church proper), but is it strictly speaking liturgical abuse?

I mean, it wasn't just a one time fluke. It was 14 times in a row.

PhuturePriest

Applause should not happen during Mass.

My personal preference is that applause should not happen within the church proper, but since that is simply my own preference, if it happens outside of the context of Mass then I get over it.

I'm with you. But I'm more tolerant if we're applauding a Catholic apologist doing a talk on a Tuesday night at the church rather than some youth minister or seminarian walking up there at the end of Mass before Father has said the final blessing and getting applause.

Thank you for your replies. I agree; it shouldn't happen during Mass (or in the church proper), but is it strictly speaking liturgical abuse?

Yes according to Sacrosanctum Concilium from the Second Vatican Council. I can cite the passage later today, but my lunch break is over.

Nihil Obstat

I would think it is a minor liturgical abuse.

I cannot find the passage to which Slappo is referring, so we will have to wait for him on that.

The only time we applaud at my parish is immediately after a baptism, confirmation, or wedding, when the pastor says "Congratulations to the newest members of our church family."

That makes sense to me, because we're celebrating what God has done in them at that moment ... but I dunno.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

The only time we applaud at my parish is immediately after a baptism, confirmation, or wedding, when the pastor says "Congratulations to the newest members of our church family."

That makes sense to me, because we're celebrating what God has done in them at that moment ... but I dunno.

I agree with this.

I just feel like the servant shouldn't be applauded in the Master's house. But I don't know what would qualify it as liturgical abuse.

Nihil Obstat

I agree with this.

I just feel like the servant shouldn't be applauded in the Master's house. But I don't know what would qualify it as liturgical abuse.

Going by the truism that we cannot add anything to the Mass.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Going by the truism that we cannot add anything to the Mass.

Truth.

PopeBenedictOnClapping.jpg

Ah, didn't see it already posted.  Stoopid slow loading computer.  

Edited by Amppax

Section 32 says:

The liturgy makes distinctions between persons according to their liturgical function and sacred orders and there are liturgical laws providing for due honors to be given to civil authorities. Apart from these instances, no special honors are to be paid in the liturgy to any private persons or classes of persons, whether in the ceremonies or by external display.

That would mean no applauding or cheering on a certain group of people who put on a retreat. Celebrating through applause or cheers for the graces bestowed upon the recently baptized or confirmed might fall more into a grey area as one might say we are not honoring the confirmandi or newly baptized, but honoring God and giving thanks for the sacrament. With the same logic though... we could applaud and cheer every time the priest says hoc est enim corpus meum...

Edit: missed the period at the end of the quote.

Edited by Slappo

Nihil Obstat

Section 32 says:

That would mean no applauding or cheering on a certain group of people who put on a retreat. Celebrating through applause or cheers for the graces bestowed upon the recently baptized or confirmed might fall more into a grey area as one might say we are not honoring the confirmandi or newly baptized, but honoring God and giving thanks for the sacrament. With the same logic though... we could applaud and cheer every time the priest says hoc est enim corpus meum...

Edit: missed the period at the end of the quote.

Ah, excellent. Thanks. :) For some reason my keyword searches did not turn this up.

Edited by Nihil Obstat