An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sexism And The Bible--fork

Evangetholic

Autumn Dusk

What we those of us with penises, after Paul, have done with his writings is horrible to be honest. But the Apostle wrote His Words through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. We are not worthy of attacking his character or the God-breathed words he left us.

Err, I don't see what your physilogical make up has to do with your being able to interpriate the Bible.  The Bible has many places that are shocking today...like if a woman is raped then an man must take her in as a wife.  They are no less divinly inspired.  We've just learned more.

Evangetholic

I was actually defending a phatmasser whose opinion I respect from your eagerness to overcompensate in embracing your latest worldview by denouncing somebody who has been making an earnest effort to be a faithful Catholic a lot longer than you have as espousing heresy.  The fact that St. Paul was a misogynist by modern standards doesn't need defending.  You can just read what he wrote.  

My "latest worldview" is the same as the former. Loyalty to Christ. I'm done responding to you here.

Autumn Dusk

And you didn't learn that the Old Testament law being utterly abrogated (except in its moral precepts) is made clear in the Bible itself?

Not really, it was defined later and explored by the church.

Basilisa Marie

I would be concerned about adopting that position. The Bible is free from error, but if it was influenced by the culture of the time that's a tiny baby step away from the belief that the errors of the culture influenced the Bible.

I see why you're concerned, but really, it's not.  It helps us make sense of apparent contradictions, understand why he may have used a particular metaphor or parable, or spends so much time addressing a particular problem. Of course the meat of the epistles is inspired by God.  If Paul lived today, do you think he'd waste valuable time talking about veiling of women in church? I doubt it.  Veiling was part of being a modest women in the time and place where he lived, and it isn't anymore (it's become a pious practice instead). Paul isn't a misogynist - he talks about women being helpmates in Christ in multiple places.  But to deny that his culture had an impact on what and how and why he wrote is silly.  

Autumn Dusk

I see why you're concerned, but really, it's not.  It helps us make sense of apparent contradictions, understand why he may have used a particular metaphor or parable, or spends so much time addressing a particular problem. Of course the meat of the epistles is inspired by God.  If Paul lived today, do you think he'd waste valuable time talking about veiling of women in church? I doubt it.  Veiling was part of being a modest women in the time and place where he lived, and it isn't anymore (it's become a pious practice instead). Paul isn't a misogynist - he talks about women being helpmates in Christ in multiple places.  But to deny that his culture had an impact on what and how and why he wrote is silly.  

Exactly.  Not only that but in the quote about woman covering their heads he also states:

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that a man indeed, if he nourish his hair, it is a shame unto him?   15 But if a woman nourish her hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering.   16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor the church of God.   17 Now this I ordain: not praising you, that you come together not for the better, but for the worse.

As discussed on another thread, men DO nourish and take care of their hair these days, many to the same point or more as women

Basilisa Marie

What we those of us with penises, after Paul, have done with his writings is horrible to be honest. But the Apostle wrote his words through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. We are not worthy of attacking his character or the God-breathed words he left us.

None of this excuses you from calling people heretics when they aren't being heretics.  It's a nasty habit I see in lots of "orthodox" people.  

Edited by Basilisa Marie

My "latest worldview" is the same as the former. Loyalty to Christ. I'm done responding to you here.

Ok.  So you've never embraced any worldview except for Catholicism?  That's different from what you wrote when you came here a week ago.  

I like reading your thoughts.  I would, however, recommend that you wait until you've been a Catholic for longer than, you know, like a week, before you start calling out heresy.  If you don't like that view you could ignore it, or tell me to go floopy myself, or, you could just get overly defensive about the fact that you haven't been a practicing Catholic for very long at all, which is what you're doing now.  

KnightofChrist

I see why you're concerned, but really, it's not. It helps us make sense of apparent contradictions, understand why he may have used a particular metaphor or parable, or spends so much time addressing a particular problem. Of course the meat of the epistles is inspired by God. If Paul lived today, do you think he'd waste valuable time talking about veiling of women in church? I doubt it. Veiling was part of being a modest women in the time and place where he lived, and it isn't anymore (it's become a pious practice instead). Paul isn't a misogynist - he talks about women being helpmates in Christ in multiple places. But to deny that his culture had an impact on what and how and why he wrote is silly.

Yes I do believe he would "waste" his time being inspired by the Holy Spirit to write about veiling. The Holy Spirit had him to write it then and He would again today.

Basilisa Marie

Yes I do believe he would "waste" his time being inspired by the Holy Spirit to write about veiling. The Holy Spirit had him to write it then and He would again today.

Welp.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, then.  :) 

(see, look! A disagreement and discussion without people calling each other heretics! GASP!)

HisChildForever

Ok.  So you've never embraced any worldview except for Catholicism?  That's different from what you wrote when you came here a week ago.  

I like reading your thoughts.  I would, however, recommend that you wait until you've been a Catholic for longer than, you know, like a week, before you start calling out heresy.  If you don't like that view you could ignore it, or tell me to go floopy myself, or, you could just get overly defensive about the fact that you haven't been a practicing Catholic for very long at all, which is what you're doing now.  

He's probably in the middle of a spiritual high right now. Eventually he'll come to understand what you're saying.

KnightofChrist

Because Saint Paul's letters and the teachings therein were written for all people of all time, they are universal and Catholic.

He's probably in the middle of a spiritual high right now. Eventually he'll come to understand what you're saying.

Probably.  And we've all been there.  

KnightofChrist

Welp. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, then. :)

(see, look! A disagreement and discussion without people calling each other heretics! GASP!)

Still you are in error and while I will not accuse you of being a heretic, what you stated is not orthodox. Edited by KnightofChrist

Evangetholic

None of this excuses you from calling people heretics when they aren't being heretics.  It's a nasty habit I seen in lots of "orthodox" people.  

I have not called and will not call any of the three of you heretics. I know you will respond that I have done so, but I haven't.  I respect you, in fact I respect you too much to hear you use words that seem to undermine the holy scriptures without objecting in the very strongest language. If I came here advocating gay marriage or women priests I'd expect you tell me that my words were heretical.

Hasan I love you like a Bunny, but I'm not interested in learning how to be a Christian from you--at all.

Edited by Evangetholic

HisChildForever

Hasan I love you like a Bunny, but I'm not interested in learning how to be a Christian from you--at all.

He's not a (practicing) Catholic but we can still learn about our faith and relationship with God from others, whether they share our faith or a different one. That's been my experience anyway.