An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sexism And The Bible--fork

Evangetholic

this speculation and conjecture about a woman's role in the church, you people are forgetting the role of the mother of the man named Jesus and her Devotion to his story or Lesson(s) told.
Look at the wedding of Cana when Mary asked Jesus to help, He did not refuse, he listened to his mother, that's a great lesson

Edited by add

Evangetholic

I consider Autumn and Beatitude's statements about St Paul and the Bible to be, well, heretical.

I consider Autumn and Beatitude's statements about St Paul and the Bible to be, well, heretical.

that is rather rash,  my  cynical friend

Autumn Dusk

Seriously?  St Paul preached to a certian people.  St. Matthew commanded that we take no thought about our life and what we are going to eat.

In Acts it's proclaimed that one believer can save an entire household from hell, but we know that we must each believe.

Corintihians also proclaims that it is good for men to never "touch" a woman...we're not talking about hugs, either....that only men who can't keep it in their pantaloons can they marry...it's a last resort not a blessed sacrament

James teaches against oaths, though this may be construed in different ways, but quite clearly would make it impossible for any follower to take an oath to the country or serve on a joury.

Edited by Autumn Dusk

KnightofChrist

Aren't there also bible verses about women of worth and how a woman goes to the market, yadda, yadda. That said, God also built his church on St. Peter, not St. Paul, so Paul's commands to his church may literally have been just that.

The Pauline epistles, are part of the Universal epistles, or Catholic epistles, and were written under the inspiration of God. So, no they are not limited to a specific time or place.

Autumn Dusk

The Pauline epistles, are part of the Universal epistles, or Catholic epistles, and were written under the inspiration of God. So, no they are not limited to a specific time or place.

Which would mean that marriage is only for men who cannot keep their urges contained.  Universal does not mean literal.

that is rather rash,  my  cynical friend

Not rash, just wrong. Heresy has a definition, and nothing that has been written here qualifies.

KnightofChrist

Which would mean that marriage is only for men who cannot keep their urges contained. Universal does not mean literal.

Or your interpretation of that particular verse is wrong.

Maybe you should be a Catholic for more than a week before you start denouncing heretics.  

Basilisa Marie

They aren't heretical - in fact, beatitude's was rather scholarly.  

Tertullian thought women were sub-human strumpets.  Augustine thought women only participated in being an image of God in so much as they are human, but not in being female and that women were intellectually inferior to men, that men were somehow more disposed to the kind of contemplative thought that brought one closer to God...I could go on. 

Asserting that cultural thoughts on gender influenced the Bible (and other theological works) isn't heretical.  Knowing the cultural context of the authors is no different than learning to read Hebrew and Koine Greek to look at the original texts. You can say that the Bible is divinely inspired and still recognize the very human way in which it was written. If anything, learning about the culture of the authors helps fill out the bigger picture of what a passage means.  

And like others have said, it's not great to throw around accusations of heresy (I'm looking at the rest of you who do it, too).  You're basically saying that what they said is grounds for excommunication.  People used to get burned at the stake for that stuff, yo.  

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Evangetholic

Maybe you should be a Catholic for more than a week before you start denouncing heretics.  

Maybe you should _______   _________  ________. :)

Maybe you should _______   _________  ________. :)

Just some friendly advice.

You've been a Catholic for like a week.  Or you returned to the Church like a week ago.  Maybe instead of jumping at the opportunity to denounce a thoughtful and long-practicing Catholic as an espouser of heresy you should go reread Miller's The Crucible.  

Edited by Hasan

Evangetholic

St Paul isn't Tertullian. The Bible is not a collection of the private opinions of saints. I called the opinions heretical because I believe them to be so. The Bible is inerrant and infallible, and St Paul was not a misogynist, a racist, an antisemite, a homophobe or any other category of sinful arrogance people would like to put him in when they disagree with the words the Holy Ghost inspired him to write.

Basilisa Marie

St Paul isn't Tertullian. The Bible is not a collection of the private opinions of saints. I called the opinions heretical because I believe them to be so. The Bible is inerrant and infallible, and St Paul was not a misogynist, a racist, an antisemite, a homophobe or any other category of sinful arrogance people would like to put him in when they disagree with the words the Holy Ghost inspired him to write.

So you believe they should be excommunicated for them? 

So I guess I'll be leaving too.   Good thing you're not pope, dear.  :hehe2: