An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sexism And The Bible--fork

Evangetholic

Excuse me? 

Someone who's been on this forum a lot longer than you have.  

Quit being rude to people who disagree with you.  It's distasteful, and no one will want to play with you if you keep it up. 

Ha. Thank you for saying what I think everyone has been thinking since he arrived.

Evangetholic

Ha. Thank you for saying what I think everyone has been thinking since he arrived.

:D

I'll be your Voris if you need me to be. Just a little ball of anger and bad hair.

I'm honestly looking for floops to give. I'm just not finding them.

St Paul wasn't spouting any twenty-first century "isms."

Add's been an unprovoked jerk to me.

The Bible's inerrant.

Catholicism is true.

And Butthurt, even from the fairer sex, will not make scripture a collection of first century ramblings and St Paul some woman-hating cretin.

Autumn Dusk

I'll be your Voris if you need me to be. Just a little ball of anger and bad hair.

The Bible's inerrant.

Catholicism is true.

And Butthurt, even from the fairer sex, will not make scripture a collection of first century ramblings and St Paul some woman-hating cretin.

For the final time no one has stated that Paul was a woman-hater .....no one....my belief is that he was giving ways to live for his time that teaches us to live modestly and to not embrace the sketchier sides of culture.  Other people take this headcovering/ woman's salvation through childbearing/ no braids more literally.  GREAT.  It dosn't change the fact that he lived in a time when women were considered less than a man (you had to have 3 women to hold as much weight as the opinion of one man).  Then again, poligamy was also rampant, as well as concubines, even among the jews, so the thought of having sex with only one woman was pretty jaw dropping.

Evangetholic

Does it matter?

In so far as you have "come at me" twice with no provocation yes it matters a great deal. If I bother you then you should consider putting me on ignore. I have two members there and am considering a third. Not everyone is beneficial spiritually/intellectually/socially for everyone else.

Edited by Evangetholic

Evangetholic

For the final time no one has stated that Paul was a woman-hater .....no one....my belief is that he was giving ways to live for his time that teaches us to live modestly and to not embrace the sketchier sides of culture.  Other people take this headcovering/ woman's salvation through childbearing/ no braids more literally.  GREAT.  It dosn't change the fact that he lived in a time when women were considered less than a man (you had to have 3 women to hold as much weight as the opinion of one man).  Then again, poligamy was also rampant, as well as concubines, even among the jews, so the thought of having sex with only one woman was pretty jaw dropping.

I can agree with most of that. Go back and reread your first post on this thread and Beatitude's. How should I have read them?

And at Apo, I'm not in a state of uncharitable feeling. I'd still buy everyone a beer and let them into my front door.

Edited by Evangetholic

. . .

And at Apo, I'm not mad. I'd still buy everyone a beer and let them into my front door.

And I am not angry with you or anyone else in the thread, but some of the recent comments make this place look less than inviting.

Autumn Dusk

I can agree with most of that. Go back and reread your first post on this thread and Beatitude's. How should I have read them?

And at Apo, I'm not in a state of uncharitable feeling. I'd still buy everyone a beer and let them into my front door.

I'm still lost Evangetholic.  We were pointing out that St Paul was acting within the bounds of his time.  We haven't said anything that could be construde as saying that he was some kind of evil machagonist, no attack his character.

At this point, I'm out of the debate.  I feel like I'm talking to my friend's 6yo when she's having a tantrum. Everything keeps getting taken out of context and put through a filter of how bad I must think St. Paul was to act the way he did.

The Bible's inerrant.

Catholicism is true.

D'awwwwww

Evangetholic

"Aren't there also bible verses about women of worth and how a woman goes to the market, yadda, yadda.  That said, God also built his church on St. Peter, not St. Paul, so Paul's commands to his church may literally have been just that."

Before 1970 or so anyone speaking like this and refusing to relent would've been excommunicated--at best.

HisChildForever

Well--for me Christ's Vicar on this earth is the Pope. Unto him it is necessary unto salvation for every human creature (with the reason and faith to do so) to be subject.

The Catholic Church in the East holds a different view - and it still entirely Catholic.

HisChildForever

"Aren't there also bible verses about women of worth and how a woman goes to the market, yadda, yadda.  That said, God also built his church on St. Peter, not St. Paul, so Paul's commands to his church may literally have been just that."

Before 1970 or so anyone speaking like this and refusing to relent would've been excommunicated--at best.

And what would be the "at worst" - burned at the stake?