An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sexism And The Bible--fork

Evangetholic

Evangetholic

But He's the Eternal Son. I find this statement by St Ignatius most interesting though.Actually as I type this I change my mind if He's to be the Head of the Church (and Her Redeemer), He most certainly does need the Church at least in that way.

But He's the Eternal Son. I find this statement by St Ignatius most interesting though.Actually as I type this I change my mind if He's to be the Head of the Church (and Her Redeemer), He most certainly does need the Church at least in that way.

In one of the pseudo-Clementine homilies it says that both Christ and the Church are eternal, and then it refers back to the creation narrative in Genesis about the making of man as male and female. If I have time and the energy I may try and transcribe the text and post it later.

Evangetholic

In one of the pseudo-Clementine homilies it says that both Christ and the Church are eternal, and then it refers back to the creation narrative in Genesis about the making of man as male and female. If I have time and the energy I may try and transcribe the text and post it later.

This I'd very much like to see Bunny. I got in trouble once for pointing out my most cherished heresy--not really I just have to be careful to keep the cross and Pentecost in mind--the Church doesn't seem quite born in the New Testament. She seems more revealed--or grown up--can't explain.

Here is a small snippet from the homily:

"You surely cannot be ignorant of the fact that the living Church is the Body of Christ; for Scripture says: 'God made man, male and female.' Now the male signifies Christ, and the female signifies the Church, which, according to both the Old and New Testament, is no recent creation, but has existed from the beginning." [Liturgy of the Hours: The Office of Readings, Patristic Reading for Thursday of the 32nd week of Ordinary Time]

The Church is also portrayed as aged, and yet made ever young by the penitential acts of the faithful, in a text called, The Shepherd of Hermas.

Basilisa Marie

Who exactly are you?

Excuse me? 

Someone who's been on this forum a lot longer than you have.  

Quit being rude to people who disagree with you.  It's distasteful, and no one will want to play with you if you keep it up. 

KnightofChrist

I get and understand the need for erudite, intellectual, critical examination of Scripture.  Lots of good thinking, broadening understanding, all of it within the big tent of Church teaching. On the other hand ... it can trouble, or scandalize  good, simple believers -people who live on pure, unrefined faith. And these people - they have a right to their faith. Its one of the primary missions of the Church, to protect these simple people. That's why they silence theologians. And sometimes they silence theologians who aren't really outside the big tent -- but they want to shut them up for the sake of the "little" ones.

Anyway. I sort of see that happening here. kind of. NOT saying anyone -needs to be / should be -silent, btw

People, People who need people, Are the luckiest people in the world We're children, needing other children And yet letting a grown-up pride Hide all the need inside Acting more like children than children...

Autumn Dusk

Excuse me? 

Quit being rude to people who disagree with you.  It's distasteful, and no one will want to play with you if you keep it up. 

*dances around Basilla in a pagan rain dance*  Nice!!!!  Agreed.  Someone here is getting too big for his britches.  We appreciate all types, Budge, Hassan, etc, but eventually we will tire of attitude and put you on ignore if you keep it up.

Evangetholic

Excuse me? 

*gives a look that shows how much of a "floop" he gives

Edited by Evangetholic

Evangetholic

Here is a small snippet from the homily:

"You surely cannot be ignorant of the fact that the living Church is the Body of Christ; for Scripture says: 'God made man, male and female.' Now the male signifies Christ, and the female signifies the Church, which, according to both the Old and New Testament, is no recent creation, but has existed from the beginning." [Liturgy of the Hours: The Office of Readings, Patristic Reading for Thursday of the 32nd week of Ordinary Time]

The Church is also portrayed as aged, and yet made ever young by the penitential acts of the faithful, in a text called, The Shepherd of Hermas.

Thank you for both of these posts. The Mystery of the Church--the Outcalled Ones--is fascinating.

Evangetholic

And feel free to put me on ignore. My own ignore list is well-used ladies.

Edited by Evangetholic

Evangetholic

And just for clarity's sake the only interaction I've had with this add person before now was them interjecting themselves into a conversation I was having with StMichael about slavery to tell me to "get over it" which made no sense in context.

Edited by Evangetholic

KnightofChrist

I have not called and will not call any of the three of you heretics. I know you will respond that I have done so, but I haven't.  I respect you, in fact I respect you too much to hear you use words that seem to undermine the holy scriptures without objecting in the very strongest language. If I came here advocating gay marriage or women priests I'd expect you tell me that my words were heretical.

Hasan I love you like a Bunny, but I'm not interested in learning how to be a Christian from you--at all.

I still don't think heretical would apply to their statements, unorthodox, a pinch of cafeteria Catholicism perhaps, but not heretical.

Evangetholic

I still don't think heretical would apply to their statements, unorthodox, a pinch of cafeteria Catholicism perhaps, but not heretical.

Maybe, but it wasn't Hellish hubris to call the statements heretical.

I can recall quoting Saints ad Doctors and being called blasphemous. :p