An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theological Junk, Yo

the171

Nihil Obstat

He really is! I've read a fair few of his writings and my instant impression was that he should be canonised. Have you read his book on the liturgy?

Which one?

Sorry but peter kreeft is to philosophy as mark hart is to biblical studies. He really isn't that dense. Kind of the contemporary pop version of philosophy.

Not to say his stuff isn't good, but certainly not mind blowing

I'm looking for more than Dr. Hahn can offer me.

This is Louisiana. Have you seen what has been going on down in our education system?

You probably haven't read any of his academic stuff.  You wouldn't be saying that if you had.  

And unless I'm mistaken, you're public schools are ranked the worst in the country.  

In America, to teach, all you need is a bachelor's degree. A master's degree is nice, but unnecessary. Master's degree leans on the side of college professor.

False.  College professor, at least for tenure, almost always means doctorate.  

Michael Voris has a doctorate in theology. Bet ya didn't know that.

No he doesn't.  an STB is approximately equivalent to a masters.  In terms of ecclesiastical degrees, it's the lowest.  STB--> STL--> STD.  The STD is the doctorate.  

Also, if you want some fun stuff.  Church Fathers, Church Fathers, Church Fathers.  

PhuturePriest

False.  College professor, at least for tenure, almost always means doctorate.  

No he doesn't.  an STB is approximately equivalent to a masters.  In terms of ecclesiastical degrees, it's the lowest.  STB--> STL--> STD.  The STD is the doctorate.  

Also, if you want some fun stuff.  Church Fathers, Church Fathers, Church Fathers.  

Am I the only one that finds it interesting how the highest accolade in theological degrees is an STD?

Basilisa Marie

You can have a Bachelor's to be an adjuct lecturer, i.e. paid by the hour for teaching basic level courses.  MAs are sometimes hired if they're working on their PhDs.  But you need the doctorate to get any real tenure-track, assistant or full professorship at a university.  

MA means you can probably write a bunch of books and average people might listen to you. :)

Edited by Basilisa Marie

You can have a Bachelor's to be an adjuct lecturer, i.e. paid by the hour for teaching basic level courses.  MAs are sometimes hired if they're working on their PhDs.  But you need the doctorate to get any real tenure-track, assistant or full professorship at a university.  

MA means you can probably write a bunch of books and average people might listen to you. :)

Right, that's what I meant, thanks for clarifying.  

Peter Kreeft was my intro to philosophy a few years back. ALSO, I haven't been able to find any of Hahn's academic stuff. (Our local catholic book store has extensive heretical books, but good stuff is hard to find)

Am I the only one that finds it interesting how the highest accolade in theological degrees is an STD?

My professor for Theology of the Body/Christian Marriage has an STD.  

Evangetholic

My professor for Theology of the Body/Christian Marriage has an STD.  

Did he read a lot of Mr. West before he got his STD?