An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theological Junk, Yo

the171

PhuturePriest

I'm looking for more than Dr. Hahn can offer me.

Are you implying Scott Hahn is not one of the smartest people alive today? I'd kill to have 50% of his SAT scores...

Michael Voris has a doctorate in theology. Bet ya didn't know that.

I could be an MD. Doesn't mean I'm a good one.

Michael Voris is a dirty, hippie liberal in disguise.

Never thought we would agree.

Evangetholic

Any word written by either of the Hildebrandts.

Also, Hans Urs von Balthasar is quite good.

John Paul II said that the supreme theologians are those whose writings are recorded in the New Testament.

The Doctors of the Church of course are good as well.

Cardinal Newman I love, but his sentences are rather like mine.

I'm not a big fan of the private theologies of either of the recent Popes, but they both have interesting ideas.

There are some Protestant Theologians I think any serious Christian should be aware of--but if you are just beginning to find your theological identity I wouldn't advise them just yet.

Any word written by either of the Hildebrandts.

Also, Hans Urs von Balthasar is quite good.

John Paul II said that the supreme theologians are those whose writings are recorded in the New Testament.

The Doctors of the Church of course are good as well.

Cardinal Newman I love, but his sentences are rather like mine.

I'm not a big fan of the private theologies of either of the recent Popes, but they both have interesting ideas.

There are some Protestant Theologians I think any serious Christian should be aware of--but if you are just beginning to find your theological identity I wouldn't advise them just yet.

I am pretty grounded in my theo ID.

Evangetholic

Henri Nouwen, even though he's not the type who well help you "flex" imo. He's still the kind of man whose writings might help you go to heaven.

PhuturePriest

I could be an MD. Doesn't mean I'm a good one.

Hahaha. But really, bow before him in trembling. After all, in our society, all you need is a few letters after your name and people automatically know with certainty that you are a genius whose words are never false...

Are you implying Scott Hahn is not one of the smartest people alive today? I'd kill to have 50% of his SAT scores...

I've read his stuff. It's good. I like it. I guess I prefer more philosophical minds (not saying he isn't) like Kreeft. I love Kreeft... so.... much....

Evangetholic

I am pretty grounded in my theo ID.

Calvin and Luther whose catholicity might shock you.

The great confessions, Luther's Small Catechism, the Augsburg Confession. Calvin's Institutes of the Christian religion. Charles Spurgeon is the ancestor of American Evangelicalism so even though he's not a very good thinker, he's worth the read.

And the twentieth century guys:

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Karl Barth

Jacques Ellul

Francis Schaeffer

Sure I'm leaving some people out, but that's at least two or three years worth of reading by itself. lol

Oh and I forgot Avery Cardinal Dulles <3

Kallistos Ware is quite good. There's another Orthodox writer from the fifties whose name I can't remember. Apo help.

Nihil Obstat

Kierkegaard wrote a lot of interesting philosophy, although I would not recommend reading him for theology.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

Evangetholic

I am sumfin of a Christian Existentialist, so Imma defend my boy Kierkegaard, if we keep in mind that he suffered from some Protestant deficiencies, I'll take him and keep him.

Which reminds me Teilhard de Chardin he got into trouble with the 50's Church but JP@ rehabilitated him to a certain point.

Edited by Evangetholic