An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theological Junk, Yo

the171

if you'd like some headache material, try Fr. Giussani's books. :blink:

Sometimes I get a headache just looking at one of his books sitting on my bookshelf!

Very deep stuff, very intelligent man. I read parts of his book titled "The Religious Sense" studying in college, and what I was able to comprehend was amazing.

Depending on what you're looking for, Josef Pieper has a lot of really good writings. I think some of his stuff delves in to the philosophical, but he has two really good books on virtues. One is on the 4 cardinal virtues (prudence, temperance, justice, fortitude), and the other is on the three theological virtues (faith, hope, love). I particularly enjoyed his writings on the cardinal virtues.

If you have a particular topic of theology you're interested in learning more about, name it, and I'm sure many of us can poke around our bookshelves and give you lists :).

Basilisa Marie

I' M READING SHEED RIGHT NOW. OMG *FANGIRLING* AND I LOVE DIETRICH!!!

LET'S BE FRIENDS FOREVER!!!!!!!

:)

Did you know that after Dietrich was hanged by the Nazis for being linked to a conspiracy to kill Hitler, Dietrich's mentor professor Karl Barth revised his stance of total non-violence to include a caveat about always pursuing peace is ultimately about pursuing Christ and sometimes exceptions can be made to the total-nonviolence rule in order to live the Gospel?  UGH ALL THE FEELS.  

Bonhoeffer would have made a good Catholic.  Ugh I love him so hard.  

Fulton Sheen is also a really good author and has an awesome book on the Blessed Virgin. He also has one titled The Life of Christ, but I've never gotten through more than the first 30-40 pages and it's a very large book. His cause is open too and I believe he was recently declared Servant of God.

Sometimes I get a headache just looking at one of his books sitting on my bookshelf!

Very deep stuff, very intelligent man. I read parts of his book titled "The Religious Sense" studying in college, and what I was able to comprehend was amazing.

Depending on what you're looking for, Josef Pieper has a lot of really good writings. I think some of his stuff delves in to the philosophical, but he has two really good books on virtues. One is on the 4 cardinal virtues (prudence, temperance, justice, fortitude), and the other is on the three theological virtues (faith, hope, love). I particularly enjoyed his writings on the cardinal virtues.

If you have a particular topic of theology you're interested in learning more about, name it, and I'm sure many of us can poke around our bookshelves and give you lists :).

i gave my copy of the Religious Sense to L_D, I think. I just couldn't get into it. have you read his book on the Psalms? very beautiful stuff there, that is comprehend-able.

do you have anything on or by St. Antony of the Desert? I have a slim volume about him, and he is particularly fascinating.

No, alas, my 250 pdf books are focused on the writings of the Fathers and St. Anthony didn't leave any writings, but I believe you can read St. Athanasios' treatise on St. Anthony on NewAdvent.org.

Nihil Obstat

I AM OPEN TO PHILOSOPHY. I LOVE PHILOSPHY. GIVE ME ALL THEM SACRED SCIENCES.

If you are looking to really challenge yourself, you could subscribe to Communio. That was the journal started up by Benedict (when he was just Ratzinger), Ouellet, Balthasar, Lubac, Kasper, and a couple others.

Really great papers in that journal, but definitely aimed at the academic philosophy crowd. Most of the papers assume a pretty advanced knowledge of philosophy.

CatholicCid

Introduction to Christianity by Ratzinger. Excellent read and covers a wide range of theological/philosophical concepts.

i gave my copy of the Religious Sense to L_D, I think. I just couldn't get into it. have you read his book on the Psalms? very beautiful stuff there, that is comprehend-able.

I haven't. Ill look into it though :).

The religious sense is definitely hard to get into. I remember some specific parts that were really meaningful to me though

Basilisa Marie

If you are looking to really challenge yourself, you could subscribe to Communio. That was the journal started up by Benedict (when he was just Ratzinger), Ouellet, Balthasar, Lubac, Kasper, and a couple others.

Really great papers in that journal, but definitely aimed at the academic philosophy crowd. Most of the papers assume a pretty advanced knowledge of philosophy.

COMMUNIO WAS FOUNDED BY RATZINGER, DELUBAC, BALTHASAR, OUELLET AND FRIENDS??????

Ugh just let me die of theological fangirl feels.  

Nihil Obstat

COMMUNIO WAS FOUNDED BY RATZINGER, DELUBAC, BALTHASAR, OUELLET AND FRIENDS??????

Ugh just let me die of theological fangirl feels.  

Ikr? It is almost hard to believe that it is not better known.

St. Francis de Sales' Treatise on the Love of God. It's actually an enjoyable read, because he has such a pleasant writing style, but it's dense nonetheless. (Don't bother with the Intro by that other guy. That'd be torture for anybody.)

Edited by curiousing