An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theological Junk, Yo

the171

I'm looking for some hardcore, mind-twisting, theology books. I ain't talking Scott Hahn. I am looking for headache material. I'm feeling adventurous lately. I want something I can really chew on for a while.

Nihil Obstat

I'm looking for some hardcore, mind-twisting, theology books. I ain't talking Scott Hahn. I am looking for headache material. I'm feeling adventurous lately. I want something I can really chew on for a while.

Faith of the Early Fathers

Really excellent way to get a better understanding of the Patristic period. Gives you a better appreciation of Tradition.

Plus, $50 is a great price when you consider that it is three very good books.

Faith of the Early Fathers

Really excellent way to get a better understanding of the Patristic period. Gives you a better appreciation of Tradition.

Plus, $50 is a great price when you consider that it is three very good books.

OOOOHHH

xTrishaxLynnx

When you're done, please give me a summary; I can never read those things. It usually goes something like this: :blink:  :yawn: :sleep:  :twitch:  :| :sleep: :sleep3:

If you want your brain to twist into knots then back again, read the homilies of St. Gregory Palamas. Sure he's Eastern, but you didn't specify :p lol

I have a large number of great theology books on the Church Fathers in pdf format.  I can, if you have a particular area of interest, email you a book or two.

Here are a few of the titles I have:

1.  Gregory of Nazianzus on the Trinity and the Knowledge of God, In Your Light We Shall See Light (2008).

2.  Hilary of Poitiers on the Trinity, From De Fide to De Trinitate (2008).

3.  Free Choice in St. Maximus the Confessor (1989).

4.  Of God and Man, Theology as Anthropology from Irenaeus to Athanasius (2009).

I also have some dissertations in pdf format.

I particularly liked the one entitled:  The Doctrine of the Trinity in the Theology of Gregory Palamas, by Fr. M. Edmund Hussey.

Nihil Obstat

I'm fairly easily challenged but Dom Gueranger's book on the Immaculate Conception gave me a serious headache. 

Dom Gueranger is excellent! His case for canonization was opened a few years ago. I have a little book of meditations he wrote on the Holy Mass.

I have a large number of great theology books on the Church Fathers in pdf format.  I can, if you have a particular area of interest, email you a book or two.

Here are a few of the titles I have:

1.  Gregory of Nazianzus on the Trinity and the Knowledge of God, In Your Light We Shall See Light (2008).

2.  Hilary of Poitiers on the Trinity, From De Fide to De Trinitate (2008).

3.  Free Choice in St. Maximus the Confessor (1989).

4.  Of God and Man, Theology as Anthropology from Irenaeus to Athanasius (2009).

I also have some dissertations in pdf format.

I particularly liked the one entitled:  The Doctrine of the Trinity in the Theology of Gregory Palamas, by Fr. M. Edmund Hussey.

do you have anything on or by St. Antony of the Desert? I have a slim volume about him, and he is particularly fascinating.

Basilisa Marie

If you don't mind a protestant, Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I'm reading the book on discipleship and it's ALL THE WONDERFUL. He was a Luthern/Confessing Church person and called out the Nazis for nastiness  Also everything's an idol, except Jesus.   :hehe2:

Ratzinger.  ALL THE RATZINGER.  

All the major documents from Vatican II, if you haven't already. They aren't especially hard, but I think it's important to have done close reading of them. 

Frank Sheed's Theology for Beginners. 

Augustine's Confessions.  

Anything with primary source documents from the Early Fathers.  Tertullian hates the wimmens, though, ya strumpet. It's pretty hilarious.