An Old School Catholic Message Board

Tai Chi

Allykatzlive

I do take Tai Chi(as a college class) for the Health benefits but Just not for thier teachings. So the other day my instructor was explaining human anamoty and the lymph system and how some of the movements move lymph though the body. We're talking about mintue movements. Not the tradtional pounding to get lymph going.  He often talks about how stess affects the body as well. He always talks about some of the things that the body does when practicing some of the forms.  But he does often exclude the beliefs of this marital art(yes,it is).

However, we know where this is going. To Tai Chi Or Not to Tai Chi? I know that some of the teachings are not quite in line with the church but what is you all ideas about it.

Basilisa Marie

Tai chi's like yoga - doing the movements is just fine, for exercise and other health reasons.  As long as you don't get into the spiritual aspects of it yourself, I don't see any harm in it.  Often people in the Church don't like things like yoga because it's dangerous for some people - some are much more likely to get "sucked into" the spiritual side, which is not good.  So as long as you're just doing the movements and focusing on health, I think you're okay. :) 

if you are doing it for the health aspects, it will be fine. I did see some stuff spritual wise that is alittle bit on the fence like Chi. Yes it is energy and breath. But it does go deeper than that. I have taken some classes myself but only to improve my Tae Kwon Do Skills.  I have heard all the stuff it could do to your body like the lymph thing. I had to take all that wonderful Ananomy stuff when I was getting my degree.. Alot of it does make sense. They also believe that stress causes all mental illness(I know that some of it is caused by stress(ie PTSD) but others are usually a chemical imblance(ie schizophrenia) but stress makes it worse.) However, some of their beliefs on how to live their lives in definitely not in line with the church. I have nothing to think of as right now as example but the pham has a good example just stick it.

AC, this is true to a point but the philosophy is practically is Divorced with today's society at least in America. I can not say about the country or area of origin. I do not know if they would be yoga or Tai Chi. I debate that myself alot.

MissScripture

If there is "pounding" going on to get lymph moving, someone is doing something wrong, and that "treatment" won't be very effective. The lymphatic system is delicate and is best treated with gentle movements.

I think what the orginal poster ment was the gental movement of Tai Chi and not the pounding of walking. I have heard from several Tai Chi Teachers this example:" The quick bouncing or twisting excerizes are suppose to move the lymph gently though the ducts. Often tradtional running or walking was once believed by the west as the best way to move to move lymph but is now considered not the best way. It is too harsh and is considered pounding."  We both now MS that that is not what Tai Chi is about.