An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poll To End All Polls

Basilisa Marie

Poll to End All Polls  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Basilisa Marie

DO YOU WANT TO BREAK PHATMASS?

Maybe.  :|

I think it would be cool to have a phatmass census to see exactly what kind of diversity we've got around here.  But I can only make three questions, so I picked the best ones.   :hehe2:

GeorgiiMichael

Maybe.   :|

I think it would be cool to have a phatmass census to see exactly what kind of diversity we've got around here.  But I can only make three questions, so I picked the best ones.   :hehe2:

Not enough options, tbh. I've never gone to a Traditional Mass, so I can't compare!

Also, neither chocolate nor peanut butter.

As far as the second question is concerned, as a Melkite Catholic standing is the normative posture for receiving communion in the Byzantine Rite, which is always received by intinction.  Now, because communion is received by intinction it follows that receiving on the hand is not possible in either the Eastern Catholic or the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

A special note for non-Byzantine Catholics who may visit an Eastern Catholic Church at some point in the future, if you receive communion you should remember to cross your arms over your chest and lean your head back slightly (if the priest is distributing communion on a golden spoon), and do not say amen.

TheLordsSouljah

As far as the second question is concerned, as a Melkite Catholic standing is the normative posture for receiving communion in the Byzantine Rite, which is always received by intinction.  Now, because communion is received by intinction it follows that receiving on the hand is not possible in either the Eastern Catholic or the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

A special note for non-Byzantine Catholics who may visit an Eastern Catholic Church at some point in the future, if you receive communion you should remember to cross your arms over your chest and lean your head back slightly (if the priest is distributing communion on a golden spoon), and do not say amen.

But Melkites don't kneel for the Liturgy at any time?? I went to a Melkite rite once - was so beautiful, but so so so so different... and yet the same... Was also blessed enough to be able to receive Communion. Though they didn't use the golden spoon at the time. Call me distracted, but half of what was going through my mind was the amount of sugar they put in the bread they used and that the wine used was pretty much sherry. Is that normal?? One of my friends told me, 'it must be to show how sweet the Lord is!'

Actually, just looking at the poll, who on earth would kneel and receive on the hand??? That'd just be so strange...

But Melkites don't kneel for the Liturgy at any time?? I went to a Melkite rite once - was so beautiful, but so so so so different... and yet the same... Was also blessed enough to be able to receive Communion. Though they didn't use the golden spoon at the time. Call me distracted, but half of what was going through my mind was the amount of sugar they put in the bread they used and that the wine used was pretty much sherry. Is that normal?? One of my friends told me, 'it must be to show how sweet the Lord is!'

Actually, just looking at the poll, who on earth would kneel and receive on the hand??? That'd just be so strange...

There are certain times that we make greater metanias (prostrations), but you are correct we never kneel on Sundays (i.e., throughout the year) or during the Paschal season (i.e., on Sundays or weekdays).

Edited by Apotheoun

In the video below (beginning at 4 minutes 30 seconds) you will see a group of school girls making the greater metania (a full prostration) just before they go up to venerate the icon.  If you continue watching the video (until about 5 minutes 15 seconds) you will see a group of young seminarians, who also make the greater metania (full prostrations) before going up to venerate the icon of the Theotokos and the Christ Child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XddLDufkaig

Edited by Apotheoun

PhuturePriest

It seems we're all in agreement: You stand-up hand-holders need to take a hike. ;)

I'm just joking, of course. I think Communion in the hand while kneeling is most appropriate, but that being said, I received in the hand until just a few months ago, and I've only knelt down a few times.

This poll is unfair.  You have to vote on each question before you can submit.  What about those of us non-Catholics who don't care about communion, or liturgy.  Discrimination, I tell you, it's DISCRIMINATION!!! 

• 3 weeks later...