An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Is Resigning.... Who Do You Think Will Be Next?

dairygirl4u2c

brilliant!

seriously, though, probably about the coolest thing I could ever imagine happening would be for a non-bishop to be elected... some out of the way country priest that was known to be a good holy man, or even a layman somewhere, could you imagine them calling someone like that up on the phone and asking them to come to Rome out of the blue!  that'd be something that would captivate the world's imagination.  could you imagine the news reports?

fr_sudac.jpg

Zlatko Sudac. Kafka would go nuts. :| Especially if he chose the regnal name Peter.

Last time he was writing about the subject, Kafka believed that Zlatko Sudac is the prophesied Angelic Shepherd.

The process of being elected told in a very simple and memorable way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bRGLzkDVRDk

Great video! Thanks for posting!

I love the smoke. :-)

I find it rather disturbing that people are assigning cardinals "odds" of election. They're not horses, for crying out loud.

Pope-Ron-68944840871.jpeg

Are you sure!?

YES!!!

brilliant!

seriously, though, probably about the coolest thing I could ever imagine happening would be for a non-bishop to be elected... some out of the way country priest that was known to be a good holy man, or even a layman somewhere, could you imagine them calling someone like that up on the phone and asking them to come to Rome out of the blue!  that'd be something that would captivate the world's imagination.  could you imagine the news reports?

I thought this, too. I think that'd be really awesome.

Fr. Barron, even...

Great video! Thanks for posting!

I love the smoke. :-)

I find it rather disturbing that people are assigning cardinals "odds" of election. They're not horses, for crying out loud.

YES!!!

I thought this, too. I think that'd be really awesome.

Fr. Barron, even...

I see no problem with assigning odds. The probabilities exist, and I would rather know than not.

I know this is racist, but I think it'd be nice to have a non-european pope, even if he is from that godforsaken land of the north

I know this is racist, but I think it'd be nice to have a non-european pope, even if he is from that godforsaken land of the north

How 'bout from Sri Lanka?

PhuturePriest

What's the problem with Turkson? From what I have seen he is solid, and Pope Benedict prized him as traditional, anyway.

What's the problem with Turkson? From what I have seen he is solid, and Pope Benedict prized him as traditional, anyway.

His white paper from the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace called for an international financial authority. Basically his economic views are... well, I will not try to characterize them.

Wiki: "The document, Towards Reforming the International Financial and Monetary Systems in the Context of a Global Public Authority was very specific, calling for taxation measures on financial transactions. It notes that “The economic and financial crisis which the world is going through calls everyone, individuals and peoples, to examine in depth the principles and the cultural and moral values at the basis of social coexistence,” it said. The document condemned what it called “the idolatry of the market” as well as a “neo-liberal thinking” that it said looked exclusively at technical solutions to economic problems. “In fact, the crisis has revealed behaviours like selfishness, collective greed and hoarding of goods on a great scale,” it said, adding that world economics needed an “ethic of solidarity” among rich and poor nations."

Obviously I do not agree with a significant portion of that. IMO it really characterizes the unfortunate potential traps of 'Catholic social justice', where the very best of intentions are applied to a poor understanding of economics, to reach rather strange conclusions.

The doctrine may be solid, but the Church is not protected from misunderstanding economics. :P

Edited by Nihil Obstat

PhuturePriest

His white paper from the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace called for an international financial authority. Basically his economic views are... well, I will not try to characterize them.

Wiki: "The document, Towards Reforming the International Financial and Monetary Systems in the Context of a Global Public Authority was very specific, calling for taxation measures on financial transactions. It notes that “The economic and financial crisis which the world is going through calls everyone, individuals and peoples, to examine in depth the principles and the cultural and moral values at the basis of social coexistence,” it said. The document condemned what it called “the idolatry of the market” as well as a “neo-liberal thinking” that it said looked exclusively at technical solutions to economic problems. “In fact, the crisis has revealed behaviours like selfishness, collective greed and hoarding of goods on a great scale,” it said, adding that world economics needed an “ethic of solidarity” among rich and poor nations."

Obviously I do not agree with a significant portion of that. IMO it really characterizes the unfortunate potential traps of 'Catholic social justice', where the very best of intentions are applied to a poor understanding of economics, to reach rather strange conclusions.

The doctrine may be solid, but the Church is not protected from misunderstanding economics. :P

That's more of an economic misunderstanding than anything else, though it does show a clear misunderstanding of subsidiarity, a very important belief in Catholic teaching.

Wiki: "The document, Towards Reforming the International Financial and Monetary Systems in the Context of a Global Public Authority was very specific, calling for taxation measures on financial transactions. It notes that “The economic and financial crisis which the world is going through calls everyone, individuals and peoples, to examine in depth the principles and the cultural and moral values at the basis of social coexistence,” it said. The document condemned what it called “the idolatry of the market” as well as a “neo-liberal thinking” that it said looked exclusively at technical solutions to economic problems. “In fact, the crisis has revealed behaviours like selfishness, collective greed and hoarding of goods on a great scale,” it said, adding that world economics needed an “ethic of solidarity” among rich and poor nations."

Except the economics are not being misunderstood. :/. ;). ;(. :'(. :'). : p. 0.0

I already said it in another thread: Cardinal Bertone. He's sort of a mini-Ratzinger, and they just elected Ratzinger 8 years ago.

Either that or someone from Africa or Latin America...that's such a cliche statement lol, but I think they could want to shake things up.

. . .

Either that or someone from Africa or Latin America...that's such a cliche statement lol, but I think they could want to shake things up.

Yeah.  I think they may elect someone younger this time.

Pope-Ron-68944840871.jpeg

Are you sure!?

Ron Paul I....first papal act...restore the gold tiara.

brilliant!

Michael Voris?

Edited by Era Might

Ron Paul I....first papal act...restore the gold tiara.

I thought his first act would be to dissolve the Federal Reserve.   :hehe2:

Bertone is too much of a political intrigue type. I do not think he will set the more 'in the trenches' folk at ease enough to vote for him, and guaranteed he has made enemies among the curial types.
At least I hope so. I do not trust him.