An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Is Resigning.... Who Do You Think Will Be Next?

dairygirl4u2c

I think the Holy Spirit should pick out His top 3 favs and then let phatmass vote on it...

I can't stop laughing at this...I'm just imagining the Holy Spirit sitting there texting his favorites to dust. rotfl

I wonder who Phatmass would vote for   :judge:

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Okay can someone explain to me the process of the election of a new Pope?? Which cardinals get to go to the Vatican and elect them, how old do they have to be, etc. etc.

Probably should ask this in the Q&A board, but since it's already written here I'm too lazy to go type it again.

I was about to quote you the odds against it being an American, but it looks like they are much better than I thought they'd be, 12/1.  Better than the odds of it being an Spaniard, actually, http://www.paddypower.com/bet/current-affairs/pope-betting?ev_oc_grp_ids=1178745

The individual odds here:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/current-affairs/pope-betting?ev_oc_grp_ids=1178744

Cardinal Dolan's got 25/1 odds, much better than I thought they'd give him.  Still, I think we're more likely to see an African or South American than a US American.

hmmm...

looks like the Malachy prophecy is leading Paddy Power's odds in the Papal Name department, haha, I highly doubt we'll get a Peter II http://www.paddypower.com/bet/current-affairs/pope-betting?ev_oc_grp_ids=1178746

Peter Turkson would spin everyone's heads though :wacky: 

Richard Dawkins - 666 to 1!!  :rotfl2:

On a more serious note, my next door neighbor is the cousin of one of those on the list - the Cardinal Archbishop of Mexico City (33 to 1). 

PhuturePriest

Okay can someone explain to me the process of the election of a new Pope?? Which cardinals get to go to the Vatican and elect them, how old do they have to be, etc. etc.

Probably should ask this in the Q&A board, but since it's already written here I'm too lazy to go type it again.

All of the Cardinals go. They enter the conclave and get to business discussing things, and then they take an average of nine thousand separate elections until they find a guy they all agree on.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

All of the Cardinals go. They enter the conclave and get to business discussing things, and then they take an average of nine thousand separate elections until they find a guy they all agree on.

I thought there was a certain age a Cardinal has to be to go elect a Pope??? I could be wrong......

I thought there was a certain age a Cardinal has to be to go elect a Pope??? I could be wrong......

To vote in the conclave a cardinal must be under 80 years old.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

To vote in the conclave a cardinal must be under 80 years old.

Yeah that's what I thought, because there are plenty of Cardinals that are over 80 and can't go to the conclave to vote.

Thank you for clarifying!!

Yeah that's what I thought, because there are plenty of Cardinals that are over 80 and can't go to the conclave to vote.

Thank you for clarifying!!

They do not vote, but if possible they are expected to be prevent at the Conclave until extra omnes is called.

I'm really hoping that Cardinal Burke is given a fair chance.  My religious Sister friend met him while he was Archbishop of St. Louis and he is very nice.  I think he'd do well to keep traditional values, as well.  Plus, his age is good and he'd most likely have long years in the Papacy.  :)

They do not vote, but if possible they are expected to be prevent at the Conclave until extra omnes is called.

That should have said "present". I was on my phone.

Julie de Sales

Personal list of favourite Cardinals to be elected Pope:

1.Burke

2.Llovera

3.Bagnasco

4.Marc Ouellet

5.Ranjith

6.Giovanni Battista Re

7.Arinze

8.Scola

9.Cipriani Thorme

10.Tettemanzi

I think I would die of joy if Burke is elected! In April I'll go to Italy and I would love to see him on the Chair of St Peter.

I think the Holy Spirit should pick out His top 3 favs and then let phatmass vote on it...

I don't think the Holy Spirit would have Ron Paul as one of the three.