An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blessed Mary Again

Evangetholic

Yes I consider this woman to be among the greatest of all believers (from the cradle, to the cross, to the sky she, was with Him). I consider the brief glimpses we get of her in Scripture to be of a woman who has poured herself out for God and who lives in obedience to Him. I consider to in some very real and undefinable way the Mother of the Church--a Christian who has not been fed on anti-Catholicism will feel a spine tingle at the mention of her name and a real and immediate filial loyalty to her. I do not, however, find her to be "my life, sweetness, or hope." I do not find her to be the "Queen of Heaven"--which is a title used in the OT for a pagan goddess. I do not find her to be my co-redemptrix or my mediatrix. 

It's a good and wholesome thing to call her such. God Almighty lived in her womb and drew nourishment from her breasts--the Christian world is becoming too weak on Christ's deity for any reasonable man to object to calling her the Mother of God.

Edited by Evangetholic

It's a good and wholesome thing to call her such. God Almighty lived in her womb and drew nourishment from her breasts--the Christian world is becoming too weak on Christ's deity for any reasonable man to object to calling her the Mother of God.

Excellent. That is a great start.

Basilisa Marie

Co-redemptrix and mediatrix are titles that are really controversial right now.  They are in no way official teaching.  It's like they're experimental theology. :)

(Though for what it's worth, I don't like co-redemptrix, but in one way mediatrix of all graces makes sense to me - but I'm a member of a Mary cult, so you'd expect that kind of nonsense from people like me)

Edited by Basilisa Marie

Co-redemptrix and mediatrix are titles that are really controversial right now.  They are in no way official teaching.  It's like they're experimental theology. :)

Mediatrix was used in Lumen Gentium. So I guess you must be one of those rad-trads that wants to throw out Vatican II. :|

[spoiler]

tumblr_lfnj25Pdzq1qcmlm1o1_400.gif

[/spoiler]

Basilisa Marie

Mediatrix was used in Lumen Gentium. So I guess you must be one of those rad-trads that wants to throw out Vatican II. :|

[spoiler]

tumblr_lfnj25Pdzq1qcmlm1o1_400.gif

[/spoiler]

Ah, but the term was "Advocate, Auxiliatrix, Adjutrix and Mediatrix", not Mediatrix of all Graces.  :|

[spoiler]

tumblr_m140vycDbs1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

[/spoiler]

Ah, but the term was "Advocate, Auxiliatrix, Adjutrix and Mediatrix", not Mediatrix of all Graces.   :|

[spoiler]

tumblr_m140vycDbs1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

[/spoiler]

Nobody said anything about "all graces". :| :| :|

(Though for what it's worth, I don't like co-redemptrix, but in one way mediatrix of all graces makes sense to me - but I'm a member of a Mary cult, so you'd expect that kind of nonsense from people like me)

Mexiatrix is the doctrine that all grace flows to us throw the Virgin, correct?

lol "Mexiatrix," I do not mean  Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe.

Basilisa Marie

Mexiatrix is the doctrine that all grace flows to us throw the Virgin, correct?

lol "Mexiatrix," I do not mean  Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe.

Mediatrix of all graces means that.  "Mediatrix" seems to be a bit stickier to define exactly what it means. 

Nobody said anything about "all graces". :| :| :|

Psh, someone totally did.  ME.  :)

Archaeology cat

As for Queen of Heaven being used in reference to a pagan goddess, Lord of Lords was also used in reference to pagan gods,but that doesn't invalidate it's use for God. In the Davidic kingdom, the queen was the king's mum. Jesus is our King, thus His Mother, Mary, is the Queen.

God bless

There is only one mediator between God and man. That is the Son of the Living God, Jesus Christ; who, through the Pascal Mystery, reconciles us to the Father.

There is only one mediator between God and man. That is the Son of the Living God, Jesus Christ; who, through the Pascal Mystery, reconciles us to the Father.

This is mere Christianity. We all share this belief. Dissenters are in no way, shape, or form Christians.

As for Queen of Heaven being used in reference to a pagan goddess, Lord of Lords was also used in reference to pagan gods,but that doesn't invalidate it's use for God. In the Davidic kingdom, the queen was the king's mum. Jesus is our King, thus His Mother, Mary, is the Queen.

God bless

I'd be interested in seeing the Biblical refernces for this (on Old Israel). And no a thing doesn't become forbidden simply from  the fact that non-monotheists hae applied it to their idols--still Lord of Lords is a Biblical title and I see nowhere in the text where a demon from Hell is called it.

Yes I consider this woman to be among the greatest of all believers (from the cradle, to the cross, to the sky she, was with Him). I consider the brief glimpses we get of her in Scripture to be of a woman who has poured herself out for God and who lives in obedience to Him. I consider to in some very real and undefinable way the Mother of the Church--a Christian who has not been fed on anti-Catholicism will feel a spine tingle at the mention of her name and a real and immediate filial loyalty to her. I do not, however, find her to be "my life, sweetness, or hope." I do not find her to be the "Queen of Heaven"--which is a title used in the OT for a pagan goddess. I do not find her to be my co-redemptrix or my mediatrix. 

Some of your sentiments have an affinity with Eastern Orthodoxy, but the Orthodox are of course quite willing to give the Blessed Theotokos many of the same titles that Roman Catholics use in their liturgical and devotional life.  The main difference between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy in connection with Our Lady is that the Orthodox refuse to create "new" dogmas related to the Virgin Mary, while Roman Catholics accept a theory of doctrinal development that allows for "new" dogmas, e.g., the Immaculate Conception.