An Old School Catholic Message Board

Leaving The Sacred United States Is Horrible, Citizen

Winchester

Texas joined through a treaty.  Simple 'nuff to nullify it.

How?  Is the state of Texas still a sovereignty nation?  A state cannot have a unilateral treaty with another nation.  The constitution forbids it.  So Texas cannot have a still enduring treaty with the US.  Such a treaty would be unconstitutional.  

Texas joined through a treaty.  Simple 'nuff to nullify it.

The Catholic Church forever.  The Union is diseased and dying...

The Union didn't let Texas leave after the Civil War.  What makes you think they let them leave by themselves?

Perpetual means no expiration date. That doesn't mean indissoluble.

The Constitution does not enumerate the rights of the sovereign states. The default assumption as regards that is that anything not forbidden remains with the states or the people. Nowhere in the Constitution, which was written to enumerate the powers of the Federal government, is the power to compel a state to remain in the union.

I joined the Boy Scouts only with permission of the people running that crap. Doesn't mean I can't leave the Boy Scouts.

we done been through this before. it was bloody and really expensive.

Ah, the might makes right argument.

The Union didn't let Texas leave after the Civil War.  What makes you think they let them leave by themselves?

An abusive husband might well prevent his wife from leaving him. That doesn't mean she lacked the right to leave him. That makes him an abusive husband. Pay attention.

Groo the Wanderer

How?  Is the state of Texas still a sovereignty nation?  A state cannot have a unilateral treaty with another nation.  The constitution forbids it.  So Texas cannot have a still enduring treaty with the US.  Such a treaty would be unconstitutional.  

nope.  read it again.  all of it this time.  

You mean the War of Northern Aggression.  The libs won't be able to stop us this time.around...

nope.  read it again.  all of it this time.  

There wasn't much to read.  You claimed that Texas joined the union by treaty and this treaty could easily enough be nullified.  What did I miss that made my criticisms of your view flawed?  

Perpetual means no expiration date.

That's actually exactly what it means.  

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perpetual

KnightofChrist

What makes the U.S. Constitution an objective truth that cannot be denied or rejected?

What makes the U.S. Constitution an objective truth that cannot be denied or rejected?

Nothing.  I'm not even arguing that states do not have a right to secede.  I just don't think it's clear that they do.  The Constitution is an extremely flawed document with a tremendous amount of ambiguity.

KnightofChrist

Nothing.  I'm not even arguing that states do not have a right to secede.  I just don't think it's clear that they do.

Why would that matter? If the U.S. Constitution clearly forbid States leaving the Union why would that matter? Why couldn't it be rejected if the people of a State or States voted overwhelming to make a new nation with a new constitution?

Why would that matter? If the U.S. Constitution clearly forbid States leaving the Union why would that matter? Why couldn't it be rejected if the people of a State or States voted overwhelming to make a new nation with a new constitution?

If the members of a state voted to secede and voted to take with them their states portion of the national debt and reimburse the federal government for funding they've received for projects aimed at revamping the national economy et cetera then I feel like a peaceful solution would be found.  Even Texas v White said that states had the option of leaving if the rest of the union assented to it.  I don't think that anyone would argue that no state ever has the right to secede.  I think it would be difficult to work out and something would have to be done to provide for the presumably large minority of that state's population who want to remain citizens of the US.  

might doesn't make right. but might makes the law (I think you would agree with me on this point.)  Once upon a time in America there was a debate about whether the law should be interpreted to make secession legal -- or not. There was a war, the outcome of which determined that the law would be interpreted to make it illegal.  Considerable precedence was thus established for that interpretation. No amount of wrangling with the law as it is written will overcome that precedence. If you would like secession be legal then you will need to change the law.  

Did the confederate states hold a secession vote?

There wasn't much to read.  You claimed that Texas joined the union by treaty and this treaty could easily enough be nullified.  What did I miss that made my criticisms of your view flawed?  

That's actually exactly what it means.  

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perpetual

Wow, a dictionary entry!

That still doesn't mean a contract is indissoluble, or that parties to the contract may never leave it.

might doesn't make right. but might makes the law (I think you would agree with me on this point.)  Once upon a time in America there was a debate about whether the law should be interpreted to make secession legal -- or not. There was a war, the outcome of which determined that the law would be interpreted to make it illegal.  Considerable precedence was thus established for that interpretation. No amount of wrangling with the law as it is written will overcome that precedence. If you would like secession be legal then you will need to change the law.  

War is not one of the means of settling Constitutional issues, last I read the document.

"If enough people are killed, whatever the winning side says is cool" theory.

KnightofChrist

might doesn't make right. but might makes the law (I think you would agree with me on this point.)

But are they not the same? A law, if it is in fact law, is just, good and right. A law that is unjust is no law at all.

Just law must have some basis in the natural law, not man's ability to spill more of his brother's blood, than his brother is able to spill of his.

There is a solid foundation from both natural law and Sacred Tradition, that citizens can overthrow or breakaway from unjust governments or tyranny. The Just War Theory, which is based on natural law, allows for secession, not just some invading army.

The American Revolution set greater and more fundamental precedent, than the American Civil War, because it was it's founding. Based on the inalienable right of a people to break away from one government and form another independent one. Edited by KnightofChrist