An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Church's Position On Defense Of Oneself And Family.

Akalyte

So tyranny was not more popular back when huge portions of the population were either actually enslaved or living under a violently enforced system of apartheid and this state was affirmed as just and good by most of the population.  Tyranny is more popular now because of, I guess, the individual mandate?  That's a uniquely conservative line of thinking. 

The HHS mandate you bring up is one particularly blatant example of tyrannical violation of citizen's rights by the government, but it is far from isolated.  Today, the federal government regulates, taxes, and interferes in the private affairs of citizens on a scale far beyond the wildest dreams of George III, with little regard for constitutional limits of power.   I don't have time or space to go into every example, but you might want to read Who Killed the Constitution?: The Federal Government vs. American Liberty from World War I to Barack Obamaby Thomas Woods and Kevin Gutzman.  

Today, constitutionally-guaranteed rights are violated willy-nilly by an increasingly dictatorial presidency and unelected government agencies.  The HHS mandate blatantly violates the right to free practice of religion guaranteed in the first amendment, just as forcibly depriving the people of the right to own arms violates rights guaranteed in the second.

While I thank you for supporting my point by bringing up the mandate, the specific tyranny I had in mind was depriving the people of the right to own arms for self-defense - as that was the topic of this particular thread.

Stay on target, Porkins.