An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Website For Belated Vocations

OnlySunshine

brandelynmarie

I still look in on it from time to time :nun: It is incredibly helpful, Mater. :flowers:

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to see attention brought to this topic! Everything usually centers around "Young" and seems to be geared towards those of youth! Thank you Mater!!

OnlySunshine

It's nice to see attention brought to this topic! Everything usually centers around "Young" and seems to be geared towards those of youth! Thank you Mater!!

Belated vocations are VERY important in my eyes.  No one is too old to become a religious/priest.  ;)

OnlySunshine

Just a reminder - if you know of any other public communities that are accepting belated vocations that you don't see listed, please post them here and I will update the list.  ;)

• 4 weeks later...
OnlySunshine

After doing some additional research on the Vision Vocation Network for other communities, I have added some new communities that accept older female vocations.  I still need to update the men's list but I will have to save that for later.  I really want to thank all of you for continuing to use this website because I know from the stats that it is very important.  Thank Sr. M. Michael for suggesting the idea.  :)

AccountDeleted

One thing that I might just mention to discerners here is that even though a community's website might have an upper age limit posted, sometimes they make exceptions for individuals - but they don't advertise this. I have personally been welcomed by several communities where I was older than their online posted age limits. Obviously not all communities will do this, but it is worth thinking about if you are either close to their limit, or just want to open up a dialogue with them before asking about a vocation with them. It takes a little courage to do this, but what's the worst that could happen? They could say 'no', but then if you never try, the answer is already no, isn't it? 

It is said that:  A coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave man dies but once.'    :)

One thing that I might just mention to discerners here is that even though a community's website might have an upper age limit posted, sometimes they make exceptions for individuals - but they don't advertise this. I have personally been welcomed by several communities where I was older than their online posted age limits. Obviously not all communities will do this, but it is worth thinking about if you are either close to their limit, or just want to open up a dialogue with them before asking about a vocation with them. It takes a little courage to do this, but what's the worst that could happen? They could say 'no', but then if you never try, the answer is already no, isn't it?

It is said that: A coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave man dies but once.' :)

Reminds me of an old teacher's saying: he who asks is foolish for a moment, he who never asks is foolish forever.

:)

OnlySunshine

It is said that:  A coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave man dies but once.'     :)

I have a disclaimer on the home page about that too:

Don't hesitate to contact an order simply because you are outside of their age range.  Most will make exceptions if you meet their other entrance requirements.  You will never know until you ask!

I still remember reading several years ago about a woman who was interested in the Sisters of Life but she was over the age limit.  Nevertheless, she asked, and was accepted (and is still with them as far as I know), so it CAN happen!

Catherine Therese

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; be not frightened, neither be dismayed; for The Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

So He's called you to a congregation but you're over the advertised age limit? Surely He who sparks your desire and asks you to do this for Him will pour forth His abundant grace and see it done? 

A prayer of St. Augustine, perhaps inspired by the above passage from Joshua: "Accomplish in me what You command, and command what You will." 

Edited by Catherine Therese