An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Poor

add

How broad of a generalization are you making based solely on your personal experience?  My dad was heavily involved in St. V. DePaul for 40 years here in rural Florida.  I've been on many home visits with him and have had numerous discussions with him.  Yes there is abject poverty in the US.  Using reason and common sense, without in-depth first hand experience, I would highly suspect that abject poverty does indeed exist in Bosina, as well as in practically every human society.  Whether you or I have personally witnessed the presence of abject poverty in all these societies is a different matter.

That's right.

Are you suggesting that the US Government should stop borrowing the future earings of it's citizens via money from China to provide the luxury of free cell phones, 10 yrs of retirement, and cheap MRI's and liver transplants to Americans?

no, not at all. 

never look a gift horse in the mouth

Edited by add

Maybe you missed the part when I referred to Bosnia as poor and corrupt?

Them Bosnians left there native land for a better life. Edited by add

I've seen poverty in Eastern NC that I never saw in Bosnia. I've never seen a family of 6 in a single room shack huddled around a space heater. Which I have seen.

One question, that family where they happy, did the children respect there parents. Did they know that they where poor.
Did they pray together and care about each other, where they happy?

I've seen poverty in Eastern NC that I never saw in Bosnia
One question, that family where they happy, did the children respect there parents. Did they know that they where poor.
Did they pray together and care about each other, where they poor in spirit?. But I've never seen a family of 6 in a single room shack huddled around a space heater. Which I have seen in NC.
Did they pray together and care about each other, where they poor in spirit?

Look, I almost never do this, but right now it absolutely must be done.

There indicates a place. Their indicates possession.

Where questions what place. Were is the past tense of be.

Effective communication is a lot harder when that distinction is not respected. :sad2:

One question, that NC family Were they happy, did the children respect Their parents. Did they know that they Were poor.
Did they pray together and care about each other, Were they poor in spirit?
that better Edited by add

IDGI 

Some people are incapable, appreciating how statistically wealthy there really  are by comparing themselves to the top 1% of American economy rather than comparing themselves to  the world economy. 

The Occupy Wall Street protesters may claim to represent the grievances of the 99%, but we should remember that when it comes to the global income distribution, we poor living in America are the 1%

In some ways, American poverty is more difficult because it is modernized poverty. The poor in an urban ghetto, for example, cannot grow their own food and construct their own houses. Their poverty is alienation from the system (educational system, political system, employment system, and in the case of prison, the social system). Rising out of poverty is not merely getting a plot of land and building a subsistence, but becoming integrated into the complex system.

In other societies that are not as integrated into the modern systems, there are still subsistence resources. But that's not entirely true, because the modern systems have their tentacles spread across the globe, so even in so-called "third world" countries modernized poverty adds to the problem, because not only do the poor not have modern infrastructure, but they are increasingly required to abide by the standards of modern systems. Lack of access to the school system, for example, shuts people out from any possibility of advancement. Lack of access to the wage economy keeps people from subsisting. And all this is driven by the dream to "develop" the whole world until it has "modern" (i.e., largely Western systems), though that's certainly a questionable goal.

Edited by Era Might

According to this site, America's capital is Jerusalem and we use the shekel as the currency.

...lolwut.
It must be true, if it's on the Internet

poor people are gross. Let's not talk about them. Pretending they don't even exist is my preferred option.

Let them eat cake.