An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Poor

add

i would rather be the low income person i am than be rich. 

It really isn’t about money, it’s what one does with the blessings there are given.

It really isn’t about money, it’s what one does with the blessings there are given.

Usually you hear about a difference between "the poor in spirit" and the monetary poor, but apparently not today.

Edited by r2Dtoo

Groo the Wanderer

When I was a teen, I prayed that God would never allow me to be rich.  He answered my prayer.  Be careful what you wish for :-)

Usually you hear about a difference between "the poor in spirit" and the monetary poor, but apparently not today.

Have you ever heard of George Bailey of Pottersville?

Anyone can have a bad attitude.   A lot of us are on Soc. Sec. Disability.    The State decided we were eligible,  not the

Church.  I find the posts in this section very offensive.  I forgive all of you.  And I love you all because you are my

brothers and sisters in the Lord.  Please don't talk about us in such a negative way.  When we are pricked do we not

bleed?!

IDGI. 

Some people are poor because they are incapable, either because of outiside circumstances or inability, to earn a living.  Some people are poor because of lack of effort or unwillingness to use their ability.

Some people are rich because they have taken advantage of others or the 'system'.  Some people are rich because of effort, ability, and/or luck.

We'll all bleed if we are labeled with an unfair negative stereotype.

Edited by Anomaly

IDGI. 

Some people are poor because they are incapable, either because of outiside circumstances or inability, to earn a living.  Some people are poor because of lack of effort or unwillingness to use their ability.

Some people are rich because they have taken advantage of others or the 'system'.  Some people are rich because of effort, ability, and/or luck.

We'll all bleed if we are labeled with an unfair negative stereotype.

IDGI 

Some people are incapable, appreciating how statistically wealthy there really  are by comparing themselves to the top 1% of American economy rather than comparing themselves to  the world economy. 

The Occupy Wall Street protesters may claim to represent the grievances of the 99%, but we should remember that when it comes to the global income distribution, we poor living in America are the 1%

Edited by add

IDGI 

Some people are incapable, appreciating how statistically wealthy there really  are by comparing themselves to the top 1% of American economy rather than comparing themselves to  the world economy. 

The Occupy Wall Street protesters may claim to represent the grievances of the 99%, but we should remember that when it comes to the global income distribution, we poor living in America are the 1%

Are you suggesting that the US Government should stop borrowing the future earings of it's citizens via money from China to provide the luxury of free cell phones, 10 yrs of retirement, and cheap MRI's and liver transplants to Americans?

IDGI 

I've seen poverty in Eastern NC that I never saw in Bosnia.  BOSNIA.  A developing country that recently went through a horrific civil war.  Somebody making $10,000 in America is technically wealthier that somebody making a reasonable living in Bosnia but their capacity to buy and provide for their family is seriously less.  That's not to say that Bosnia is a utopia.  It's not.  It's poor and corrupt.  But I've never seen a family of 6 in a single room shack huddled around a space heater.  Which I have seen in NC.  

But believe whatever you want.  

I've seen poverty in Eastern NC that I never saw in Bosnia.  BOSNIA.  A developing country that recently went through a horrific civil war.  Somebody making $10,000 in America is technically wealthier that somebody making a reasonable living in Bosnia but their capacity to buy and provide for their family is seriously less.  That's not to say that Bosnia is a utopia.  It's not.  It's poor and corrupt.  But I've never seen a family of 6 in a single room shack huddled around a space heater.  Which I have seen in NC.  

But believe whatever you want.  

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/04/20-years-since-the-bosnian-war/100278/

If your statement is true, may i ask you; why have so many Bosnians immigrated to the United States?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ-bhM-xuec

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/04/20-years-since-the-bosnian-war/100278/

If your statement is true, may i ask you; why have so many Bosnians immigrated to the United States?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ-bhM-xuec

Maybe you missed the part when I referred to Bosnia as poor and corrupt?  

Why would Bosnians immigrate to the US?  Um, because Bosnia is poor, corrupt, politically inert, and a lot of Bosnians expect the fighting to come again someday.  

You're attacking a position which I didn't take.  The average American is much better off than the average Bosnian.  I don't dispute this.  But a lot of people, and you seem to be among them, think that the poor in America are living lives of luxury compared to most of the rest of the world.  And this just isn't true.  As I said before, I never saw the sort of abject poverty in Bosnia, and I was in the villages and unwealthy parts of Bosnia, that I have seen in Eastern North Carolina.  

The US is rated #9 in the Top Ten Countries for standard of living, adjusted for inequality.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-quality-of-life-map.html

So?  I really don't understand what you are trying to argue, here.  America is, for most people, a much, much, much better place (materially, anyway) to live than Bosnia.  But there is poverty in this country that I have personally witnessed which exceeds anything that I saw in Bosnia.  If you'd like to come to Eastern NC and come to Bosnia I'd be happy to show you what I'm talking about.  You can bring the graph along.  

So? I really don't understand what you are trying to argue, here. America is, for most people, a much, much, much better place (materially, anyway) to live than Bosnia. But there is poverty in this country that I have personally witnessed which exceeds anything that I saw in Bosnia. If you'd like to come to Eastern NC and come to Bosnia I'd be happy to show you what I'm talking about. You can bring the graph along.

Isn't North Carolina where that "Jed Clampit" is from?

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back a gain to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?.

So?  I really don't understand what you are trying to argue, here.  America is, for most people, a much, much, much better place (materially, anyway) to live than Bosnia.  But there is poverty in this country that I have personally witnessed which exceeds anything that I saw in Bosnia.  If you'd like to come to Eastern NC and come to Bosnia I'd be happy to show you what I'm talking about.  You can bring the graph along.  

How broad of a generalization are you making based solely on your personal experience?  My dad was heavily involved in St. V. DePaul for 40 years here in rural Florida.  I've been on many home visits with him and have had numerous discussions with him.  Yes there is abject poverty in the US.  Using reason and common sense, without in-depth first hand experience, I would highly suspect that abject poverty does indeed exist in Bosina, as well as in practically every human society.  Whether you or I have personally witnessed the presence of abject poverty in all these societies is a different matter.