An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Poor

add

theculturewarrior

When?

When Catholics embrace the fact that it is not okay to threaten someone with violence just because they are disabled.

When Catholics stop smearing the mentally ill without ever even being in the same room with them.

When threatening an unemployed disabled American with homelessness and the dissolution of his family is viewed as distasteful by Catholic culture.

That's when.  It cannot come too soon for me.

the poor have an attitude problem - when?

Usually the same time rich and/or middle class people have an attitude problem!

When they are ungrateful, feel or act lazy, rely on others to feed them and/or bite the hand that feeds them, ignore opportunities to better their lot, whine. I do all these things very frequently. Right now my household income approaches six figures and I notice as my economic standing improves my attitude does not keep pace.

Bad attitude is probably not the main reason most people are poor either.

Most of all, remember that Jesus has a preferential closeness to the poor. He didn't say it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a poor person with a bad attitude to get into heaven. He said that about rich people (with no caveat for those with a good attitude)! I think he was being kinda harsh but whatevs. Also the bad attitudes found among the poor doesn't change the fact that we must work tirelessly for social justice. I know you know all this I'm just saying it for lurkers' benefit :)

The mentally ill are morally defective.

If we keep discriminating, the civil rights activists will leave.

Excuse me brother.  I am one of those morally defective people you are talking about.  God loves me and I

love Him.  I am not morally defective.  This is exactly what the Catholic church is doing to the gay community.

No wonder they are so hurt.

the poor have an attitude problem - when?

Usually the same time rich and/or middle class people have an attitude problem!

When they are ungrateful, feel or act lazy, rely on others to feed them and/or bite the hand that feeds them, ignore opportunities to better their lot, whine. I do all these things very frequently. Right now my household income approaches six figures and I notice as my economic standing improves my attitude does not keep pace.

Bad attitude is probably not the main reason most people are poor either.

Most of all, remember that Jesus has a preferential closeness to the poor. He didn't say it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a poor person with a bad attitude to get into heaven. He said that about rich people (with no caveat for those with a good attitude)! I think he was being kinda harsh but whatevs. Also the bad attitudes found among the poor doesn't change the fact that we must work tirelessly for social justice. I know you know all this I'm just saying it for lurkers' benefit :)

Anyone can have a bad attitude.   A lot of us are on Soc. Sec. Disability.    The State decided we were eligible,  not the

Church.  I find the posts in this section very offensive.  I forgive all of you.  And I love you all because you are my

brothers and sisters in the Lord.  Please don't talk about us in such a negative way.  When we are pricked do we not

bleed?!

Excuse me brother.  I am one of those morally defective people you are talking about.  God loves me and I

love Him.  I am not morally defective.  This is exactly what the Catholic church is doing to the gay community.

No wonder they are so hurt.

Anyone can have a bad attitude.   A lot of us are on Soc. Sec. Disability.    The State decided we were eligible,  not the

Church.  I find the posts in this section very offensive.  I forgive all of you.  And I love you all because you are my

brothers and sisters in the Lord.  Please don't talk about us in such a negative way.  When we are pricked do we not

bleed?!

can I gently suggest, I think you are confused. For instance: Culturewarrior is also mentally ill. His posts identify bad attitudes TOWARDS the poor.

People are not mentally ill because there poor, god made us all different, rich or poor we are equal.

The bad attitude is not using your god given talents just because you are small-talented (poor), but that goes double for the large-talented (rich)  too 

Edited by add

The blessed ones are the poor "in spirit", who by their free will are ready to bear for God's sake this painful and humble condition, even though at present they be actually rich and happy; while on the other hand, the really poor man may fall short of this poverty "in spirit".

can I gently suggest, I think you are confused. For instance: Culturewarrior is also mentally ill. His posts identify bad attitudes TOWARDS the poor.

Dear Maggie, thankyou.  It helps to know this.  Thanks for clearing up the confusion. 

Hugz

What in the ever loving name of the invisible pink unicorn is going on in this thread? 

I just can;t even anymore...I'm going to go on tumblr and reblog kittens.

Edited by Selah

People are not mentally ill because there poor, god made us all different, rich or poor we are equal.

The bad attitude is not using your god given talents just because you are small-talented (poor), but that goes double for the large-talented (rich)  too 

i would rather be the low income person i am than be rich.