An Old School Catholic Message Board

Watching Stolen Cable

dairygirl4u2c

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

xTrishaxLynnx

Mostly I just don't care about much of anything that's on cable, but even if I did I couldn't in good conscience watch it knowing it was stolen.

Now... if the person in the next apartment paid for cable and wanted to allow me to run a cable to mine, I might feel differently; I'm not really sure. I'd have to think about it more, but to me that wouldn't really be different than having a TV with cable in each room in the same house. It's the stealing from some unsuspecting neighbor who is paying that I have the real issue with.

tl;dr - No.

Interesting - I never thought about it from that angle.  However, I think you're incorrect in ownership of the cable in question.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the cable company actually owns the physical cable even inside the house, and that cable customers are paying for the use of it, and for the content.  If you split that cable to point it to another room/house/etc..., you're not stealing from your neighbor, but from the cable company, which legally owns the rights to the cable and the content it's carrying.

No, you can't watch stolen cable in any circumstance without committing sin.

I'm probably totally clueless here (haven't had cable in the house since I was 5 years old), but how exactly would one "steal" cable? I've heard that sometimes you can connect a cord from the cable outlet in your apartment or home to your TV and automatically get cable - I guess sometimes the cable company forgets to "turn off" the cable by mistake. 

Anyways, this seems very similar to "stealing" your neighbor's wifi, which in my opinion is a sin. 

Basilisa Marie

"Stealing" wifi isn't a sin if their wifi isn't password protected.   :saint2:

Stealing cable is a sin, for reasons fides' outlined.

Now, what about live streaming television online?  Say you hook your tv (a service you've paid for) up to your laptop and run the signal to an online streaming service, so other people can watch "live" with you.  This doesn't involve recording and posting, or downloading a copy (although the US supreme court did rule that you can record tv for private use).  If YOU aren't making any money off of it...how is live streaming your tv any different than inviting friends over to your house? :)

"Stealing" wifi isn't a sin if their wifi isn't password protected.   :saint2:

Stealing cable is a sin, for reasons fides' outlined.

Now, what about live streaming television online?  Say you hook your tv (a service you've paid for) up to your laptop and run the signal to an online streaming service, so other people can watch "live" with you.  This doesn't involve recording and posting, or downloading a copy (although the US supreme court did rule that you can record tv for private use).  If YOU aren't making any money off of it...how is live streaming your tv any different than inviting friends over to your house? :)

Why do you think "stealing" wifi isn't a sin? How is stealing wifi any different than stealing cable, or some other service?

I don't really understand what you mean about live streaming television. If the stream is free and available to everyone with an internet connection, then it's meant to be watched for free by everyone with an internet connection. There's nothing wrong with watching it on your computer or watching it on your TV by hooking your laptop up to the TV (and some smart TVs even have internet built in, so you can even skip the connecting your laptop step). It's not a paid service, it's meant to be watched for free, there's no sin there. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean?

Edited by Tantum Ergo

Oh wait, you're saying if you can somehow run your cable signal online for your friends to watch? Sorry, but that's illegal. It's illegal for you to freely distribute copyrighted content that you don't have rights to, and it's illegal for your friends to download such content online (streaming IS downloading). 

Sorry for the double post, but it wouldn't let me edit my previous post for some reason. 

Basilisa Marie

Using someone's unprotected wifi is not a sin.  Almost all internet routers require you to establish a password during the installation wizard, or come with one already pre-programmed.  You have to actually choose to make it not password protected.  It's like owning a bridge.  I can charge a toll for the bridge (the password), and anyone who pays the toll can cross it.  But if I don't charge a toll for the bridge, it's not wrong for people to cross it without paying the toll, just because I own the bridge. It's only immoral if I charge a toll and people run across the bridge without paying it.  

Streaming is not downloading.  Downloading makes a copy of the file and sticks it on your own hard drive.  Streaming runs the file from a 3rd party source.  It's the difference between making a copy of a movie and giving it out to your friends, and inviting them all over to watch the movie at your house.  This is why the government can crack down on people who download illegally, but have to catch streamers literally in the act of streaming.  And the FBI has better things to do. 

Other than legality (as Nihil pointed out, legality =/= morality, and for this case I'm ignoring any "we have a moral obligation to follow the law" arguments, and instead focusing on the act itself), is there any discernible difference between live streaming your television online and inviting friends over for a movie night? 

For argument's sake, let's say that you don't make any money off the stream, you keep all of the program's commercials intact, and you host the livestream on your own website.  How is that any different than inviting friends over to watch tv? 

KnightofChrist

Using unprotected wifi without permission from the owner can be sinful. Just because something may be unlocked doesn't always mean it's ok to enter into it. Someone could leave their front door unlocked but that doesn't mean someone else can come in without being granted permission.

Using unprotected wifi without permission from the owner can be sinful. Just because something may be unlocked doesn't always mean it's ok to enter into it. Someone could leave their front door unlocked but that doesn't mean someone else can come in without being granted permission.

Bit of trivia: Here in Calgary at least, it is only breaking and entering if you actually physically move something to get in. So if the door is wide open and you walk through, that is not B&E, but if the door is mostly closed and you simply push and it swings open, then it is.

I think they still charge you with unlawful entry in the first case though.

Anyway, wutevs. 

Using someone's unprotected wifi is not a sin.  Almost all internet routers require you to establish a password during the installation wizard, or come with one already pre-programmed.  You have to actually choose to make it not password protected.  It's like owning a bridge.  I can charge a toll for the bridge (the password), and anyone who pays the toll can cross it.  But if I don't charge a toll for the bridge, it's not wrong for people to cross it without paying the toll, just because I own the bridge. It's only immoral if I charge a toll and people run across the bridge without paying it.  

Just because it's not password protected doesn't mean it's okay to use it. It's not a public road or bridge. It's a private service that someone is paying for, for their own use. According to the Catechism, stealing is taking or using another's property without their permission. You just can't assume someone's permission is granted because it's not password protected. Sure the new routers give you a password almost automatically, but it didn't used to be that way. There's a lot of people with old routers who didn't understand how to set it up properly with a password back when they set up their wireless internet. 

Again, how is it any different than stealing tv cable? 

Anyways, it's a really stupid idea to use someone else's network in the first place, because it gives them all your data. There's no way you can know they didn't set it up that way on purpose to steal your private information. 

Streaming is not downloading.  Downloading makes a copy of the file and sticks it on your own hard drive.  Streaming runs the file from a 3rd party source.  It's the difference between making a copy of a movie and giving it out to your friends, and inviting them all over to watch the movie at your house.  This is why the government can crack down on people who download illegally, but have to catch streamers literally in the act of streaming.  And the FBI has better things to do.

Streaming technically IS downloading. The data has to be downloaded to your computer for you to view it, it just downloads it in increments and then removes the data of what has already been viewed. It is illegal to steam illegal content. How it is not immoral also? Not only are you breaking a just law, but you're not paying for something that you should be paying for. There are plenty of legal streaming services out there to watch movies on, like amazon and itunes.

This is why the government can crack down on people who download illegally, but have to catch streamers literally in the act of streaming.

False. The government CAN crack down on people who stream movies illegally. There is proof left on your computer's hard drive from the data that was downloaded from the streaming video. It's just not visible to you. Anything that you download on your harddrive is left on your hard drive, even if you put it in the "recycling bin" and delete it from the recycling bin. The government has tools that can find it. The only way you can get rid of it completely is to totally physically destroy your hard drive. Also, the website that you streamed from has your IP, and the government can take down the website or force the website to give up all the IPs of people who downloaded/streamed illegal content. This has happened in the past with youtube and google and other websites. Whether they DO go after every illegal website and downloader out there is another matter, but they surely can. Your information and browsing history is not safe or private on the internet. 

Other than legality (as Nihil pointed out, legality =/= morality, and for this case I'm ignoring any "we have a moral obligation to follow the law" arguments, and instead focusing on the act itself), is there any discernible difference between live streaming your television online and inviting friends over for a movie night?

The cable content does not belong to you and I. The copyright belongs to various entertainment companies that produced and created the content. Since it is their property, only they have the right to distribute that content to others. When you pay for cable, you're paying for the right to view that content in your own home. You can invite friends over to view it with you - you're viewing it in your own home and it's a fun, social thing. Streaming it to your friends over the internet is very different because you're clearly distributing something to others that you don't have the right to distribute. You're not watching it together in a social way, the same as watching it together at someone's house. There's also no way you can guarantee that your friends won't keep the content permanently.