An Old School Catholic Message Board

Weed, Cigarettes, And Alcohol

dairygirl4u2c

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

i know this topic has been discussed here before. just curious what new might come of it.

it's suprising how much people's views have changed on here, or in general, in even the past decade.

Basilisa Marie

Cigarettes and alcohol have been scientifically proved to cause damage when used in excess.

It's impossible to smoke enough pot in one sitting to do any lasting damage. 

PhuturePriest
Cigarettes and alcohol have been scientifically proved to cause damage when used in excess.

It's impossible to smoke enough pot in one sitting to do any lasting damage. 

Incorrect. If you are an adolescent, smoking pot can permanently mess up your brain and your thinking abilities, and I believe it can do this with just one use. Once you grow out of adolescence and your brain has fully developed the side-effects are less adverse and serious, but during adolescence (When you are most likely to smoke weed) it can mess you up for life, not to mention what can happen to your child if you smoke pot while you are pregnant (Also a pattern some teenage adolescents have).

Fidei Defensor
Pot is a gateway drug
Drunkenness is bad for the soul

Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.  It is possible to use marijuana without doing "harder" drugs. Marijuana is only a "gateway" to those who already have addictive personalities, in which case, even sugary drinks could set off a cascade of addictions.

Nihil Obstat
Incorrect. If you are an adolescent, smoking pot can permanently mess up your brain and your thinking abilities, and I believe it can do this with just one use. Once you grow out of adolescence and your brain has fully developed the side-effects are less adverse and serious, but during adolescence (When you are most likely to smoke weed) it can mess you up for life, not to mention what can happen to your child if you smoke pot while you are pregnant (Also a pattern some teenage adolescents have).

I would like to see data which supports this, because the scientific studies I have read seem to agree with Basilisa.

Lancet. 2009 Oct 17;374(9698):1383-91. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61037-0.

Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use.
Hall W, & Degenhardt L.

Source
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, QLD, Australia. w.hall@sph.uq.edu.au

Abstract
For over two decades, cannabis, commonly known as marijuana, has been the most widely used illicit drug by young people in high-income countries, and has recently become popular on a global scale. Epidemiological research during the past 10 years suggests that regular use of cannabis during adolescence and into adulthood can have adverse effects. Epidemiological, clinical, and laboratory studies have established an association between cannabis use and adverse outcomes. We focus on adverse health effects of greatest potential public health interest-that is, those that are most likely to occur and to affect a large number of cannabis users. The most probable adverse effects include a dependence syndrome, increased risk of motor vehicle crashes, impaired respiratory function, cardiovascular disease, and adverse effects of regular use on adolescent psychosocial development and mental health.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Evidence-Based Review of Acute and Long-Term Effects

of Cannabis Use on Executive Cognitive Functions

Rebecca D. Crean, PhD, Natania A. Crane, BA, and Barbara J. Mason, PhD

J Addict Med • Volume 5, Number 1, March 2011

pp1-8

from: http://images.ctv.ca/ctvlocal/ottawa/tl/pdf/Crean_Article.pdf

Abstract: Cannabis use may impair cognitive functions on a number

of levels—from basic motor coordination to more complex

executive function tasks, such as the ability to plan, organize, solve

problems, make decisions, remember, and control emotions and

behavior. These deficits differ in severity depending on the quantity,

recency, age of onset, and duration of marijuana use. Understanding

how cannabis use impairs executive function is important for clinicians.

Individuals with cannabis-related impairment in executive

functions have been found to have trouble learning and applying the

skills required for successful recovery, putting them at increased risk

for relapse to cannabis use. Here, we review the research on the

acute, residual, and long-term effects of cannabis use on executive

functions and discuss the implications for treatment.

Edited by Adrestia

Nihil Obstat
Lancet. 2009 Oct 17;374(9698):1383-91. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61037-0.

Adverse health effects of non-medical cannabis use.
Hall W, & Degenhardt L.

Source
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, QLD, Australia. w.hall@sph.uq.edu.au

Abstract
For over two decades, cannabis, commonly known as marijuana, has been the most widely used illicit drug by young people in high-income countries, and has recently become popular on a global scale. Epidemiological research during the past 10 years suggests that regular use of cannabis during adolescence and into adulthood can have adverse effects. Epidemiological, clinical, and laboratory studies have established an association between cannabis use and adverse outcomes. We focus on adverse health effects of greatest potential public health interest-that is, those that are most likely to occur and to affect a large number of cannabis users. The most probable adverse effects include a dependence syndrome, increased risk of motor vehicle crashes, impaired respiratory function, cardiovascular disease, and adverse effects of regular use on adolescent psychosocial development and mental health.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Evidence-Based Review of Acute and Long-Term Effects

of Cannabis Use on Executive Cognitive Functions

Rebecca D. Crean, PhD, Natania A. Crane, BA, and Barbara J. Mason, PhD

J Addict Med • Volume 5, Number 1, March 2011

pp1-8

from: http://images.ctv.ca/ctvlocal/ottawa/tl/pdf/Crean_Article.pdf

Abstract: Cannabis use may impair cognitive functions on a number

of levels—from basic motor coordination to more complex

executive function tasks, such as the ability to plan, organize, solve

problems, make decisions, remember, and control emotions and

behavior. These deficits differ in severity depending on the quantity,

recency, age of onset, and duration of marijuana use. Understanding

how cannabis use impairs executive function is important for clinicians.

Individuals with cannabis-related impairment in executive

functions have been found to have trouble learning and applying the

skills required for successful recovery, putting them at increased risk

for relapse to cannabis use. Here, we review the research on the

acute, residual, and long-term effects of cannabis use on executive

functions and discuss the implications for treatment.

I may not have time to do my proper research or to respond later with classes starting up, but I wanted to just get a quick reply in while it's fresh in my mind.

"The most probable adverse effects include a dependence syndrome, increased risk of motor vehicle crashes, impaired respiratory function, cardiovascular disease, and adverse effects of regular use on adolescent psychosocial development and mental health."

Dependence syndrome:

Sounds like they are not talking about chemical addiction/dependence, but a sort of psychological dependence, which is far from unique to marijuana.

Risk of motor vehicle crashes:

Should be obvious, given the effects of THC on the human body. As true as it is of marijuana it will be must more true of alcohol.

Impaired respiratory function, cardiovascular disease:

I am willing to speculate that this is due almost entirely to the smoking of marijuana, therefore a negative effect of the smoke itself, and most likely even more serious in cigarette smoking.

Adverse effects of regular use on adolescent psychosocial development and mental health:

Pretty broad category. Will not speculate here.

As to the second abstract, unfortunately they were not distinguishing in the summary what effects were long term and what were not. I do not have time at the moment to read the whole thing, so I will not comment here either.

Dependence syndrome has a definition.

From http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/terminology/definition1/en/

In unqualified form, dependence refers to both physical and psychological elements. Psychological or psychic dependence refers to the experience of impaired control over drinking or drug use while physiological or physical dependence refers to tolerance and withdrawal symptoms. In biologically-oriented discussion, dependence is often used to refer only to physical dependence.

Nihil Obstat
Dependence syndrome has a definition.

From http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/terminology/definition1/en/

In unqualified form, dependence refers to both physical and psychological elements. Psychological or psychic dependence refers to the experience of impaired control over drinking or drug use while physiological or physical dependence refers to tolerance and withdrawal symptoms. In biologically-oriented discussion, dependence is often used to refer only to physical dependence.

Excellent. Thanks.

Socrates makes the BEST magic brownies*.

*The philosopher not the poster**

**You may think I've made a grammatical error by using the present tense "makes" rather than "made," or just an error in logic, because Socrates is supposedly dead, and therefore ain't making nothin no more, but that's just stupid. Brownies were not around circa 400 BC. ***

***You might also scold me for use of the double negative, but you shouldn't be such a prescriptivist. It is an arbitrary rule, like splitting infinitives, that is commonly used in many languages and dialects of English, including African-American vernacular. So before you call me out on that, you might want to think about how racist you are. You may also think I'm high because ancient philosophers visit me and give me pot brownies. But think about this . . . how would I be high BEFORE they bring me the magic brownies? HUH? I'll consider your mind blown.

Groo the Wanderer

Odd poll. questions.....

Why one would smoke on the pot/john/potty daily is really odd and somewhat personal, but I hazard a guess that it is not as harmful as smoking and drinking everyday, unless one is speaking of smoking a pork loin and drinking lots of water.

On second question, life isn't fair so I think the question is invalid.  Define 'fair' please.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Pot may cause less damage to your health, but causes more psychological symptons that can lead to suicide and is very damaging on the people around whom have to deal with a person with psychotic symptoms. Though as a pain killing medicine it is optional, if the person is alergic to opiets, and GOD removes the psychotic consequences. That what i believe anyway. We must include psychological illness as a health risk and not just physical symptons or death.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Legalising such drugs may reduce crime but it doesn't releive the psychosis and though at first the increase of drug use isn't apparent like in portugal but i'm pretty sure in the not to distant future that rate will climb phenomenaly and people will be to sick to work than the crime rate will rise again anyway,probably to worse than ever. I got into an argument with somone in rehab about this, legalising such drugs medicinaly to be prescribe by a doctor i think could be good but not recreationaly, because that is such drugs purpose, a medicine.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye