An Old School Catholic Message Board

Freemasons And The Church

cartermia

Stop attaching strawmen.  I never even suggested that was even close to the case.  

This would be the sort of attitude I was talking about, Futurepriest.  

Ok. What does this mean,

Glad to see that the Church has its priorities straight.  

after saying this?

I'm meeting a bunch of people in a mason lodge tomorrow.  The head of the lodge wants to cooperate with an organization I'm a Fellow for to do something to combat the lack of access to decent healthcare in rural North Carolina.  

Ok. What does this mean,

after saying this?

That plenty of Mason lodges do good work and the hysterical reaction to the Masons that exists, at time, within the Church is weird and misplaced.  

What does that have to do with whether or not the Church does good social work of its own?

KnightofChrist
That plenty of Mason lodges do good work and the hysterical reaction to the Masons that exists, at time, within the Church is weird and misplaced.

What does that have to do with whether or not the Church does good social work of its own?

Seemed like some type of guilt trip, ie the Masons do charity work, therefore it is wrong to be against them.

The KKK is another secret organization and enemy of the Church, that today is not so openly aggressive and does charity work. The Church isn't going to make it ok to belong to these groups just because the do charity work.

That plenty of Mason lodges do good work and the hysterical reaction to the Masons that exists, at time, within the Church is weird and misplaced.  

Ask yourself that. You are the one whining about the Church's priorities.

PhuturePriest
Stop attaching strawmen.  I never even suggested that was even close to the case.  

This would be the sort of attitude I was talking about, Futurepriest.  

Edit.

Edited by FuturePriest387

I'm meeting a bunch of people in a mason lodge tomorrow.  The head of the lodge wants to cooperate with an organization I'm a Fellow for to do something to combat the lack of access to decent healthcare in rural North Carolina.  

You're such a goose :)

LouisvilleFan
I'm meeting a bunch of people in a mason lodge tomorrow.  The head of the lodge wants to cooperate with an organization I'm a Fellow for to do something to combat the lack of access to decent healthcare in rural North Carolina.  

Nothing wrong with cooperating with others to do good work. There's a Shriner's Hospital in Lexington, Ky that provides free healthcare to children. One of my relatives benefited from their charity.

The Church's issue is with Freemasonry's deistic teachings and, perhaps more specifically, the practice of swearing oaths. Jesus explicitly cautioned about the oaths we make. Any oath we do make must be faithful to the Church. Thus, swearing to tell the truth in a court of law is acceptable, but swearing fidelity to a lodge Grand Master a serious matter.

If you are interested in learning more on the topic, check the link to Fr. Seraphim's podcast that I posed earlier. If you just have a bone to pick, we'll consider this conversation closed.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

since yall are talking about masons.... anyone have any advice for my other thread? www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126632-weird-kjv/?p=2535869

tl;dr  - unwittingly acquired masonic kjv bible, not sure what to do with it; people have suggested burning, but cover is plastic and don't want to die from plastic fumes.