An Old School Catholic Message Board

Freemasons And The Church

cartermia

Okay my uncle was a freemason, so I was just wondering what one was and why (if) the are excommunicated from the church?  Please enlighten me on this topic that I know nothing about.

Basilisa Marie

http://www.ewtn.com/library/answers/camason1.htm

Basically, freemasons essentially espouse that all religions are basically the same, God isn't personal but naturalistic, and European freemasons are really anti-Catholic (American freemasons not so much, but then our country has a more religiously tolerant history).  Catholics aren't allowed to join any oath-based secret society, that is, any society where you have to swear an oath to keep some rite or ceremony or whatever secret.  Oddfellows, masons, etc.  

I believe joining the Freemasons and affiliated groups entails latae sententiae excommunication. Although I may be wrong about that.

• 2 weeks later...
LouisvilleFan
Okay my uncle was a freemason, so I was just wondering what one was and why (if) the are excommunicated from the church?  Please enlighten me on this topic that I know nothing about.

Another good resource here from Fr. Seraphim, a professor at Franciscan University. He is dry, but entertaining in his own way :)

http://catholicunderthehood.com/2008/10/07/168-the-masons/

My grandfather was also a Mason and professed Christianity, and definitely not a Catholic. However, there was a Catholic sister at the hospital where he went for dialysis who seemed to soften him up a bit, and he always supported my own decision to convert. Instead of tackling the debate of Freemasony head on (wasn't going to win that outside of a miracle), I chose to emphasize the truths about Christ that he appreciated, especially how we are redeemed through suffering, and thus why Christ is our only salvation.

After his funeral, the Masons celebrated a funeral rite which all the family were invited to witness. It was quite beautiful and poetic, with heavy use of metaphors for this life, death, and eternal life. I didn't notice any contradictions to Christianity, or any deistic faith for that matter. Of course, the contradictions to Christianity run more through the philosophy of Freemasonry, and I have read they more explicit in the higher degrees.

I'm meeting a bunch of people in a mason lodge tomorrow.  The head of the lodge wants to cooperate with an organization I'm a Fellow for to do something to combat the lack of access to decent healthcare in rural North Carolina.  

Glad to see that the Church has its priorities straight.  

PhuturePriest
I believe joining the Freemasons and affiliated groups entails latae sententiae excommunication. Although I may be wrong about that.

No excommunication. The Church simply states that those who join the Freemasons are in a state of Mortal sin and cannot receive the Eucharist.

I'm meeting a bunch of people in a mason lodge tomorrow.  The head of the lodge wants to cooperate with an organization I'm a Fellow for to do something to combat the lack of access to decent healthcare in rural North Carolina.  

That's very nice of them. I am glad they are doing it. It doesn't change the fact that they are heretics, though, which is the issue the Church takes with the Freemasons, not the good things they do.

After his funeral, the Masons celebrated a funeral rite which all the family were invited to witness. It was quite beautiful and poetic, with heavy use of metaphors for this life, death, and eternal life. I didn't notice any contradictions to Christianity, or any deistic faith for that matter. Of course, the contradictions to Christianity run more through the philosophy of Freemasonry, and I have read they more explicit in the higher degrees.

I called the head of this lodge.  He didn't answer.  He called back later to apologize and explain that he couldn't answer because he was in church.  

PhuturePriest
I called the head of this lodge.  He didn't answer.  He called back later to apologize and explain that he couldn't answer because he was in church.  

Mightn't it be nice if you would explain where the floopy (And I typed "floopy" for any moderators reading) you are going with this?

Mightn't it be nice if you would explain where the floopy (And I typed "floopy" for any moderators reading) you are going with this?

The idea that the Masons are an especially nefarious organization is just silly.  I understand saying that Catholics can't be Masons because they (some claim, I don't know) have deistic beliefs. 

PhuturePriest
The idea that the Masons are an especially nefarious organization is just silly.  I understand saying that Catholics can't be Masons because they (some claim, I don't know) have deistic beliefs. 

I can't recall when anyone said they did no good deeds.

I can't recall when anyone said they did no good deeds.

I can't recall where I said anyone did.  I did find some of the links somewhat hyperbolic.

Functionally, it's a boy's club. And they do charity work.

Going back in its history, you'll find other stuff. Some masons might be bastards. Some priests molest children. It's almost like individuals make their own choices, or something.

I see your point since the Catholic Church has accomplished nothing in the field of medicine/healthcare. All those hospitals are a front to brainwash weak patients into submitting to antiquated dogma.  smiley-confused002.gif

KnightofChrist

Freemasonry played a direct role in the persecution of the Church in Mexico before and during the Cristero War. They do not always show such open aggression against the Church, but they are enemies of the Church.

Edited by KnightofChrist

I see your point since the Catholic Church has accomplished nothing in the field of medicine/healthcare. All those hospitals are a front to brainwash weak patients into submitting to antiquated dogma.  smiley-confused002.gif

Stop attaching strawmen.  I never even suggested that was even close to the case.  

They do not always show such open aggression against the Church, but they are enemies of the Church.

This would be the sort of attitude I was talking about, Futurepriest.  

Edited by Hasan